Sky’s careless attitude

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes you really missed a treat, as I said elsewhere I`m not usually into pre-match entertainment but I made a point of tuning in for the All-Stars build up and wasn`t disappointed, stirring stuff that even left a few of the commentators speechless.

Pretty shabby treatment by your broadcaster.

Blimey, I 100% agree with Martyn.

It's not just the game - as in the 80 minutes of football - the whole point of the All Stars game now is the celebration around it *as well as the football*. An absolute joke to miss it.

(Incidentally, those who believe this is just RL or just Sky, I'm happy to confirm that BT are just as bad when it comes to many of their foreign feeds.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Isn't there an issue with the shoddy timekeeping that seems common around Oz sport making it difficult for schedulers. 

Tbf that probably only made it possible to see the Indigenous team rather than cutting straight to kick off.

I think you do notice a clear difference when looking at a lot of Sky's SH Rugby Union where (covid season aside as I'm not sure), Sky had some of their own pre and post match stuff.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf that probably only made it possible to see the Indigenous team rather than cutting straight to kick off.

I think you do notice a clear difference when looking at a lot of Sky's SH Rugby Union where (covid season aside as I'm not sure), Sky had some of their own pre and post match stuff.

Sky seem to have massively cut back the wrap around stuff. For example, their Pakistan cricket coverage which, previously, would have had a studio link in and out, is just now the direct feed from the host broadcaster.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Sky seem to have massively cut back the wrap around stuff. For example, their Pakistan cricket coverage which, previously, would have had a studio link in and out, is just now the direct feed from the host broadcaster.

Yeah I suspect as much, shame really

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The worst thing about this - which Martyn doesn't mention for some reason - is during the Maori haka Sky were showing one of those lengthy promos for its own broadcasts. It's not as if they had to start the 9.05am coverage any earlier, they just had to start it on time.

09:05 was the scheduled KO time, something that Dave T alluded to that games down under don't always match KO times

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

09:05 was the scheduled KO time, something that Dave T alluded to that games down under don't always match KO times

And? The broadcast was scheduled at 9.05am and if it was on time they could have shown the haka. As it was, they showed a lengthy promo so we only got the very end of it just before the (rather confected) Indigenous effort.   

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

I'm disappointed that SKY do this, but its not a new thing.  I'm curious as to why all of a sudden its drawing criticism from the editor?

Tbf this is one of the few games where the pre match is almost as important as the on field action.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I'm disappointed that SKY do this, but its not a new thing.  I'm curious as to why all of a sudden its drawing criticism from the editor?

Exactly this. 

It’s happened before, it’ll probably happen again. I appreciate it was a cultural and traditional moment missed and annoyed/upset people but I can’t imagine it was planned. It seems a bit odd to go for Sky in this fashion now but it’s pretty quiet news wise at the minute.

Throughout the NRL season we miss all sorts of Channel Nine footage or get a few seconds of an Australian KFC advert chucked in. 

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Probably not the first time Sky have been criticised on this topic, so “all of a sudden” is a bit of a stretch.

15 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Probably not the first time Sky have been criticised on this topic, so “all of a sudden” is a bit of a stretch.

Editing has been an issue for years. When Premier covered the NRL it wasn't unusual for them to miss the end of the actual game!

I suspect it is problematic in terms of them going to the coverage too early, they then go into ad breaks and product placement in studios etc. that don't work for Sky. Hence they go for the very latest point prior to kick off to start coverage, something that is difficult because of shoddy timekeeping.

It would be far better if clean coverage could be provided that strips out the Fox elements and ads etc. but the feed seems to be literally what is shown on Fox is streamed to Sky. 

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Plenty of fans have raised this I know. I don’t recollect an article in the League Express or by the editor before. 

Talking of kick off times , one thing super league or more probably sky should sort ahead of this season is our kick off times . It looks poor that every TV game kicks off minutes late and no one ever mentions why . Even as a perception compared to something like  cricket or especially European football comps it looks bad . You put out a kick off time  kick off then

39 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I guess its best for Sky just not to show the game here at all... then they get less criticism.  Is any other broadcaster interested in showing the game.

So you are in the boat of that we should just accept whatever little effort they put into RL?

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Plenty of the NZ Super Rugby coverage at a similar morning slit had FULL home broadcaster build up and afters 

I'm now at the point of **** SKY.... Let someone else have a go

Archived