Sky’s careless attitude

4 minutes ago, Click said:

So you are in the boat of that we should just accept whatever little effort they put into RL?

It has nothing to do with rugby league. This victim culture we cling on to is embarrassing. It happens across multiple sports, often those that use broadcasters from the Southern Hemisphere. These incidents are not isolated to rugby league. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It has nothing to do with rugby league. This victim culture we cling on to is embarrassing. It happens across multiple sports, often those that use broadcasters from the Southern Hemisphere. These incidents are not isolated to rugby league. 

Like I said above, I think it's sloppy and, in this case, an example of not really knowing *what* you're broadcasting.

But BT do it with American sports all the time, as an equivalent example. Sky are doing it with cricket now when they take the Pakistan feed for the PSL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

It is frustrating when it happens but equally I completely understand how and why it occurs. Sky are not going to put any production around this and it's not straight forward to just let Fox coverage run for longer. 

If 'Sky are not going to put any production around this', it just proves Martyn's point that they don't care. Not sure if it is just me but I think Sky puts forward a fairly tired format for many of the sports it covers now. It used to be a premium product but they are miles off that these days.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous arguement. 

1. Sky contract is pretty much whistle to whistle. We dont know if NRL/ Fox are prepared to allow pre match 

2. Ofcom who regulate tv are very strict on product placement and direct feeds from abroad. Why NFL regularly cuts out. Broadcasters have to be very careful about sponsorship- so whistle to whistle reduces potential issues. 

3. Has the editor asked sky for comment? 

4. BLM point was tangent- not directly relevant. 

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

If 'Sky are not going to put any production around this', it just proves Martyn's point that they don't care. Not sure if it is just me but I think Sky puts forward a fairly tired format for many of the sports it covers now. It used to be a premium product but they are miles off that these days.

But seriously - what production could/should Sky have put on this game? Whilst the Haka and Indigenous war dance are impressive to watch, there's little cultural relevance to most of us here in the UK (that's obviously not why Sky missed part of it but the point still stands) . Then let's also consider this is essentially a pre season trial game. As I and others have eluded to, this isn't specific to RL on Sky and indeed isn't even just Sky who does this, for overseas content. The only way it tends to work more smoothly is if it's the same international broadcast partner - so if we had a Fox UK channel or the NRL games were on Sky Aus for example. 

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

I'm disappointed that SKY do this, but its not a new thing.  I'm curious as to why all of a sudden its drawing criticism from the editor?

Sadly we did not get this game in Canada, however over the past couple of seasons I have missed the endings of several NRL games because they seem to kickoff way after the scheduled time, I took to having to PVR the next programme to be sure of not missing out, but why this seems to happen a lot with games down under I just don’t understand.

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

Talking of kick off times , one thing super league or more probably sky should sort ahead of this season is our kick off times . It looks poor that every TV game kicks off minutes late and no one ever mentions why . Even as a perception compared to something like  cricket or especially European football comps it looks bad . You put out a kick off time  kick off then

Absolutely, on the dot, anything else is shoddy. 

5 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous arguement. 

1. Sky contract is pretty much whistle to whistle. We dont know if NRL/ Fox are prepared to allow pre match 

2. Ofcom who regulate tv are very strict on product placement and direct feeds from abroad. Why NFL regularly cuts out. Broadcasters have to be very careful about sponsorship- so whistle to whistle reduces potential issues. 

3. Has the editor asked sky for comment? 

4. BLM point was tangent- not directly relevant. 

Broadcasters don't have to be careful about sponsorship. It's just not ideal to show adverts from overseas feeds for free when they ask UK advertisers to pay a handsome fee, so try to minimise it as much as possible. 

Must admit I hadn’t really thought about it at the time, as all NRL games seem to come on Sky just before KO, but my kids were mesmerised by the Indigenous team’s build up (which they stopped what they were doing to watch) and I wished they’d got to see the Haka beforehand. 

its been happening for years - the bbc missed the first 2 songs of the community singing at wembley in 1976 led by Bernard Manning, although i still write letters of complaint to them about it even now, i have never had a reply!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

As I've said, when they have shown NZ Super Rugby games this season they have done so with a full half hour build up and afters. Same time slot on a weekend day  (and yes I do watch the union games they show) 

I don't know about conspiracy but some ****  has chosen to do one thing with one SH feed and one thing with the other 

Sky can get stuffed - I'm actually contemplating ditching it. I pay a fortune for what will be maybe 2 SL games a week? They don't have the best cricket any more

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Broadcasters don't have to be careful about sponsorship. It's just not ideal to show adverts from overseas feeds for free when they ask UK advertisers to pay a handsome fee, so try to minimise it as much as possible. 

From ofcom:

Where advertising inserted by the originating broadcaster is also taken, the Ofcom licensee is responsible for ensuring that he has the ability to block or otherwise replace the transmission of any material that does not comply with Ofcom Codes and rules.

So Sky have to ensure Aussie adverts comply (primarily with watershed) 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

As I've said, when they have shown NZ Super Rugby games this season they have done so with a full half hour build up and afters. Same time slot on a weekend day  (and yes I do watch the union games they show) 

I don't know about conspiracy but some ****  has chosen to do one thing with one SH feed and one thing with the other 

Sky can get stuffed - I'm actually contemplating ditching it. I pay a fortune for what will be maybe 2 SL games a week? They don't have the best cricket any more

It’s tinfoil hat behaviour, that. It happens with the NRL, it happens with the NFL. Others on here say it happens with cricket, too. It appears foreign broadcast has some issues. It’s nothing to do with Rugby League or some bizarre agenda. 

33 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

From ofcom:

Where advertising inserted by the originating broadcaster is also taken, the Ofcom licensee is responsible for ensuring that he has the ability to block or otherwise replace the transmission of any material that does not comply with Ofcom Codes and rules.

So Sky have to ensure Aussie adverts comply (primarily with watershed) 

There's nothing on nine or fox sports that wouldn't be allowed on sky sports. 

10 hours ago, Spidey said:

09:05 was the scheduled KO time, something that Dave T alluded to that games down under don't always match KO times

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

Isn't there an issue with the shoddy timekeeping that seems common around Oz sport making it difficult for schedulers. 

They tightened it up a couple of years ago, but have pretty quickly gone back to what your referring to. 

I put it down to the fact that they know they`ve got your attention, because everyone is tuning in for kick-off, so an ideal time to slip an extra couple of ads in.

It`s interesting though if you ever compare League pre-match viewing figures with fumble ball, their worlds apart, either Leagues pre-match is really boring or the other mob would watch anything, I suspect a little of the former and a lot of the latter.

I know for myself I sit down to watch the footy, not listen to waffling talking heads, however as Tom referred to though, this was one occasion where the pre-match really meant something.

6 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Rocket it is standard from SKY 

Earlyish morning slot with no excuses as nothing else on

Part of our problem too with Sportsnet World in Canada, live games are on at god awful times, so they cut to the games literally 1 minute before the scheduled kick off, only of course the kick off seems to be delayed for what seems like a never ending stream of ads for Harvey Norman and other Aussie companies, plus KFC ads for deals only available in Aus. The game then kicks off 10 mins later than stated, however unless you PVR the following programme (yes it’s still a god awful hour), their scheduled time slot ends, the game continues on into that time slot for the next programme (usually plays of the month, the very definition of a filler programme because it’s still a god awful hour). So my plan has to be PVR NRL game, PVR plays of the month so I get the last 10 mins of NRL game, do not forget, do not PVR whilst drunk. All this would be much simpler if the damn games kicked off when they were supposed to and remember most of the Canadian audience is PVR ing the game, unless you are a shift worker or insomniac and I wonder how many get p#ssed off about having to do the extra recording just so they can watch a full game. From what I can ascertain it seems to also affect other sports coming from Aus/NZ too, so there’s obviously something about these overseas feeds, it’s not just RL that’s affected, but RL is all I’m interested in.

Disappointing we missed the Maori haka but I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

Surely we should be thankful Sky put on a NRL associated (pre season) full match coverage for the UK audience in the first place. Would anyone blow a fuse if the game was edited down to highlights or not even shown at all? We probably would have put up with a report in League Express.

Next Saturday Sky are showing full match coverage of another NRL pre season game, the Charity fixture between Souths & The Dragons. That's excellent involvement and recognition of our game from a busy multi sports TV platform.

Slagging off the only TV Company who has the capability and the inclination to put weekly Rugby League into our living rooms isn't the smartest tactic in the logbook.

We'd certainly have something to moan about if Sky decided they didn't need the hassle & the continual criticism. Especially from recognised media outlets.

Give them some credit when it's due 👍🏉

Archived