Sky’s careless attitude

21 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Plenty of the NZ Super Rugby coverage at a similar morning slit had FULL home broadcaster build up and afters 

I'm now at the point of **** SKY.... Let someone else have a go

simply put there isnt anyone else at the table willing to put the money in that Sky do.

could always go for someone else... each club will then get much less money but at least those at home will get to watch the game!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

simply put there isnt anyone else at the table willing to put the money in that Sky do.

could always go for someone else... each club will then get much less money but at least those at home will get to watch the game!

That gets trotted out a lot

We simply don't know who/what other bids have or will be made

22 hours ago, Click said:

So you are in the boat of that we should just accept whatever little effort they put into RL?

Their a business, simple as.  If no alternatives to broadcast here then no competition to improve.  As a matter of interest what where the numbers watching...

15 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

From ofcom:

Where advertising inserted by the originating broadcaster is also taken, the Ofcom licensee is responsible for ensuring that he has the ability to block or otherwise replace the transmission of any material that does not comply with Ofcom Codes and rules.

So Sky have to ensure Aussie adverts comply (primarily with watershed) 

Canadian broadcasters have been substituting Canadian commercials for those in broadcast feeds originating in the US for years, why doesn't Sky just do that with British commercials instead?

As a matter of interest and has I have no idea... on the technicalities of doing so

Do Sky or any other broadcaster have to rent an international link (satellite, etc)  to broadcast say a sport game from another country, e.g. Australia.  If so I guess it would be for a specific time slot given costs and others wanting to use said space.

13 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Canadian broadcasters have been substituting Canadian commercials for those in broadcast feeds originating in the US for years, why doesn't Sky just do that instead?

Mostly, they do.

The problems arise - and it's worse on US feeds - when there's a sudden pop up of an ad in the middle of play.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

its been happening for years - the bbc missed the first 2 songs of the community singing at wembley in 1976 led by Bernard Manning, although i still write letters of complaint to them about it even now, i have never had a reply!

Presumably your complaint was that they didn't miss it all!

😁

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Mostly, they do.

The problems arise - and it's worse on US feeds - when there's a sudden pop up of an ad in the middle of play.

There are no sudden pop ups of an ad in the middle of play in North America, sports here have enough breaks in play to accommodate all the ads then.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

There are no sudden pop ups of an ad in the middle of play in North America, sports here have enough breaks in play to accommodate all the ads then.

Right. So when the AFLAC trivia comes up or the Honda Keys to the Game or the Geico Half Time Report or College GameDay Presented by Home Depot, I've been imagining those.

Good to know.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Right. So when the AFLAC trivia comes up or the Honda Keys to the Game or the Geico Half Time Report or College GameDay Presented by Home Depot, I've been imagining those.

Good to know.

Of course you haven't, but play isn't underway when those come on is it?  College Gameday is a pregame show, the Geico Half Time Report is at half time, etc.

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Mostly, they do.

They have several in the NRL, particularly after a try is scored till the game restarts

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Good to know.

I like the adverts attached to the score graphic on the NHL. 

But, as you know, it's all Sky's fault. 🤣

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Of course you haven't, but play isn't underway when those come on is it?  College Gameday is a pregame show, the Geico Half Time Report is at half time, etc.

As an example, Honda Keys to the Game comes whilst the first batter is up so, y'know, play is under way.

Occasionally an overkeen producer - this one is on BT - will put up their ident to block the coverage until it's gone which means you might miss a pitch or two.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They have several in the NRL, particularly after a try is scored till the game restarts

Indeed.

BT are quite proactive in blocking equivalents (see my post above), Sky less so. But they are both at risk of, for example, advertising betting/drink/sugary nonsense when they shouldn't be. And it won't be a viewer who will complain to Ofcom but a rival broadcaster.

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Indeed.

BT are quite proactive in blocking equivalents (see my post above), Sky less so. But they are both at risk of, for example, advertising betting/drink/sugary nonsense when they shouldn't be. And it won't be a viewer who will complain to Ofcom but a rival broadcaster.

I guess those type of adverts are banned for a reason, a rational that Ofcom and Parliament I guess think is important to health, etc.

Does that mean I should guard against my grand children watching the sports programmes that allow such adverts to be aired. As I'm guessing the concern is that those adverts do have an impact, not for the best...

12 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Maybe the RFL & Superleague ought to find some spine from somewhere (or some animal) and offer the season up for auction, and include a free to air channel as part of it's bidding process. Maybe more than one channel?

Why? Because Moaning Martyn Sadler has had a whinge about something that happens on Sky coverage, not just Rugby League, regularly and he’s using it to play the “poor little Rugby League” card again? 

13 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Maybe the RFL & Superleague ought to find some spine from somewhere (or some animal) and offer the season up for auction, and include a free to air channel as part of it's bidding process. Maybe more than one channel?

Multiple channels, (Sky and FTA) yes. Open auction? No. Look at what happened to the Scottish premiership (pre covid)

47 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

If the Super League contract wa split between two pay-TV firms, even more people would kick off.

When we talk about Sky and/or other broadcasters it all ultimately comes back to the very same point. If there was that much competition (or any for that matter) for the rights to the game then who in their right mind wouldn't start some kind of bidding war - as we've seen in other sports? Reality is, and I know we're at pain to admit it, Sky is the only one who is making offers and indeed likely to be the only doing so for the foreseeable ,it would seem. The onus is and always has been on SL to get a better deal because the product the sport offers proves it's worth, opposed to some on here who believe Sky should do more to make the sport look better - to achieve what, them having to pay more the next time the deal is up for renewal?? As I said in another thread recently, for SL to become stronger they need to control their own destiny and brand - no broadcaster should be a part of achieving that. 

I know this deviates from the OP as that was obviously referring to bought in content but did also make me wonder - what peanuts do Fox League pay for SL compared to what Sky probably had to pay for NRL? 

6 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Canadian broadcasters have been substituting Canadian commercials for those in broadcast feeds originating in the US for years, why doesn't Sky just do that with British commercials instead?

Not for the live feeds of NRL games on Sportsnet World, it comes direct from Aus, ads and all, of course its behind a paywall, at a time when most of Canada sleeps and I PVR the game but fast forward through. Don’t know if the reruns are edited in any way as I don’t wait for them for fear of finding out the score (not really a problem now in West Kelowna as long as I avoid the internet, but when I was in North Van I had an Aussie customer who would come into my work and want to talk about the game, often I hadn’t had chance to see it all!).

As for pop ups, I know exactly what GJ refers too, Aflac in particular has several during NCAA Football games and I’m sure seeing them.

Of course I should add that none of the Aussie or even US ads I have seen during games would ever be for products that would be banned in either Canada or the UK, they all seem to be for Cars, Insurance, Fast Food or Furniture stores. Plenty of beer ads, but they are for beers available in Canada so ads for the Canadian market. Is beer advertising allowed in the UK these days?

2 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Of course I should add that none of the Aussie or even US ads I have seen during games would ever be for products that would be banned in either Canada or the UK, they all seem to be for Cars, Insurance, Fast Food or Furniture stores. Plenty of beer ads, but they are for beers available in Canada so ads for the Canadian market. Is beer advertising allowed in the UK these days?

There will be different regulation around alcohol, fast food etc and what times they can be shown and during which programs. 

There is also the fact that Sky won't want to just show free ads for KFC, Coke etc. 

Archived