Magic Weekend Fixtures Released Today

1 minute ago, M j M said:

What's the actual basis they've used? They normally come up with some fig leaf to justify it but I can't spot any immediate pattern from last year's table.

Leeds vs Hull the marquee TV game 🙂

It’s 

1st in 2020 (Wigan) v 3rd (Warrington)

2nd (Saints) v 4th (Catalans)

5th (Leeds) v 6th (Hull)

7th (Huddersfield) v 10th (Wakefield)

8th (Cas) v 9th (Salford)

12th (Leigh) v 11th (Hull KR). 

Not sure why they’ve deviated from 1v3, 2v4, 5v7, 6v8, 9v11 and 10v12 tbh. 

16 minutes ago, M j M said:

What's the actual basis they've used? They normally come up with some fig leaf to justify it but I can't spot any immediate pattern from last year's table.

Leeds vs Hull the marquee TV game 🙂

It’s to do with the fixtures scheduled for Magic for 2020 with people who had tickets for 2020 in mind and then it’s decided by who you finished nearest in the table in 2020. Confusing but I see what they’ve done. 

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I was thinking the same. Its a bit laughable.

It’s not. It’s to do with having fans in mind who may have bought a day pass for 2020 and are carrying it over to 2021. Having x amount of Wigan and Warrington fans attempting to exchange their 2020 Sunday pass for a 2021 Saturday pass on top of attempting to put together numerous plans for many different eventualities and then selling tickets would have been a logistical nightmare. It’s not ideal that it’s the same fixture as the last few years but then most things in 2021 aren’t particularly ideal and a Wigan v Warrington game with, hopefully, something riding on it (hopefully, who gets relegated) given it’s going to be the final weeks of the regular season and hopefully being there is enough for me to look forward to it. 

13 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah it is,be nice if they mixed it up every year.

Wigan could have only played Huddersfield, Leigh, Warrington, Wakefield or Hull KR. Not exactly many possibilities for a “marquee” type game there, like Magic like to close each day with, so I see why they’ve gone down the route they have in pairing teams with those who finished closest to them in the 2020 regular season. 

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Wigan could have only played Huddersfield, Leigh, Warrington, Wakefield or Hull KR. Not exactly many possibilities for a “marquee” type game there, like Magic like to close each day with, so I see why they’ve gone down the route they have in pairing teams with those who finished closest to them in the 2020 regular season. 

Every season wigan/Warrington in the magic and CC these  two must have magnetic balls. 

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Tickets weren't ever issued for last seasons gamete lockdown came well before then so there really wasn't an issue with that surely, they could have gone for saints v wigan as the game for the Saturday evening but oddly they didn't.

8 hours ago, briggyq said:

Tickets weren't ever issued for last seasons gamete lockdown came well before then so there really wasn't an issue with that surely, they could have gone for saints v wigan as the game for the Saturday evening but oddly they didn't.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1862/dacia-magic-weekend-fixtures-confirmed

They mention tickets and acknowledging those who retained their 2020 tickets (rather than getting them refunded) in relation to keeping those due to play on the Saturday in 2020 and the Sunday in 2020 playing on the same days this year. 

They couldn’t have gone for Saints v Wigan using the formula they have used as Saints were due to play on the Saturday in 2020 and Wigan, the Sunday. 

Saturday in 2020 - Castleford, Catalans, St Helens, Salford, Leeds, Hull. 

Sunday in 2020 - Huddersfield, Leigh*, Wigan, Warrington, Hull KR, Wakefield. 

I’m sure people could pick fixtures based on those days that they think are better or suits their team more but I’m sure, equally, people would still moan. 

15 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Absolutely spot on why would would any of those teams want to play Wigan who seem to have won just as much as the others in recent years. Typical we are bigger and better than you attitude.

11 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Catalans have drawn the short straw. Cas and Huddersfield both been gifted 2 points. Leigh and Hull kr playing 3 times means they’ll end the season with at least 6 points between them.

You forgot to mention Hull with a dead easy 2 points in your quest to belittle and attract bites like me from other clubs supporters.

20 minutes ago, Forever Trinity said:

You forgot to mention Hull with a dead easy 2 points in your quest to belittle and attract bites like me from other clubs supporters.

It’s a reasonable draw for Leeds. We’ve played Hull 53 times in Super League, Leeds have won 38, Hull 14 and 1 Draw. 

I think it really does bring into question the validity of relegation when you let the 2 favourites for relegation play each other 3 times. Would you feel cheated if Wakefield are relegated by 1 league point after Leigh beat Hull kr in their 3rd meeting of the year at magic? 

19 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a reasonable draw for Leeds. We’ve played Hull 53 times in Super League, Leeds have won 38, Hull 14 and 1 Draw. 

I think it really does bring into question the validity of relegation when you let the 2 favourites for relegation play each other 3 times. Would you feel cheated if Wakefield are relegated by 1 league point after Leigh beat Hull kr in their 3rd meeting of the year at magic? 

It’s lucky that seasons aren’t three games long then. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Same can be said about any club missing out on the play-offs by a single point or losing the League Leaders by points difference, in any league system that doesn't have an equal number of home and away fixtures for all clubs but has a number of extra games thrown into the mix these arguments will arise, but that thought will not register in the weird world of SKS will it?

14 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Catalans have drawn the short straw.

Let's just hope that Catalans get a balanced refereeing approach from the officials.

Perhaps with Magic not having the critical importance of last seasons Play Off farce v St Helens we might have a relatively fair game to watch.

The biased stitch up to ensure Catalans didn't have a cat in hells chance of progressing was disgraceful & embarrassing.

Lets have a level playing field for every club, no matter what the hidden agenda may be.

10 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Let's just hope that Catalans get a balanced refereeing approach from the officials.

Perhaps with Magic not having the critical importance of last seasons Play Off farce v St Helens we might have a relatively fair game to watch.

The biased stitch up to ensure Catalans didn't have a cat in hells chance of progressing was disgraceful & embarrassing.

Lets have a level playing field for every club, no matter what the hidden agenda may be.

Nowt to do with them attacking heads, no? Bloody Regan Grace getting his head in the way of Maloney’s swinging arm. 

Archived