I didn`t love it so much. - "There is nothing complicated about Rugby League", "the rules are easy to follow".

What is it about this game that these falsehoods follow us into every corner of the world? At the start of every new development someone must take journalists aside and say "Don`t be nervous, it won`t tax your brain like Rugby Union. It`s a simple game. If you`re a bit thick, you`ll love it".

"a quick rollback gets the game going after a tackle is made". - This one has the RFL`s fingerprints on it.

One observation I did like was "But what also works really well is playing non-contact with children". I hope this indicates that pioneers now recognise non-contact forms as crucial to sustainably establishing new clubs in new territories.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Great read, thanks for sharing

26 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I didn`t love it so much. - "There is nothing complicated about Rugby League", "the rules are easy to follow".

What is it about this game that these falsehoods follow us into every corner of the world? At the start of every new development someone must take journalists aside and say "Don`t be nervous, it won`t tax your brain like Rugby Union. It`s a simple game. If you`re a bit thick, you`ll love it".

"a quick rollback gets the game going after a tackle is made". - This one has the RFL`s fingerprints on it.

One observation I did like was "But what also works really well is playing non-contact with children". I hope this indicates that pioneers now recognise non-contact forms as crucial to sustainably establishing new clubs in new territories.

To educate those who are unaware of the code, I have no issue with this description, and particularly liked the comparison to kabbadi. I have an issue when the so called expert pundits spout that nonsense to people are are educated about the game

11 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Great read, thanks for sharing

To educate those who are unaware of the code, I have no issue with this description, and particularly liked the comparison to kabbadi. I have an issue when the so called expert pundits spout that nonsense to people are are educated about the game

First impressions are hard to overcome. 126 years of misconceptions are proof positive of that.

Would it not be a pleasant change to have a RL development begin with an accurate characterisation of the game? We have had a surfeit of the "simple game" tack. It hasn`t delivered conspicuous success. And it`s no accident that "simple game" allusions are the favoured propaganda of RL`s rivals and enemies.

It`s also flatly at variance with your ostensible wish to widen the social base of the game. 

Archived