Season ticket sales? very low?

Col81

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We didn’t know what the future held, not just for attending sporting events, up until 48 hours ago, so I can’t say I’m overly surprised. I think it’ll, likely, pick up now, though I imagine there will be some form of drop in comparison to 2020’s numbers through a few different reasons. 

12 minutes ago, Col81 said:

I have just read on the Saints forum that they have only sold around 4000 season tickets!!!! surely this cannot be right when i am sure it was around 10000 before covid. Is this correct? how are other clubs doing in comparison?

I’d expect numbers to be down but not over 50% down. The season hasn’t actually started yet so 4000 may not be the final number, but if Saints can only sell 4000 what are the figures at the clubs like Wakefield? 

Yeah I'd say it depends what the clubs are offering/asking for in terms of price? First 2 months of the season are going to have no crowds and then for another after that (at least) only going to be allowed 4,500 at Saints for example. So if the club are asking for full price it's no surprise the uptake has been low - also have to factor in the financial situation and fear many fans will still be dealing with. 

Smartest thing to do IMO is to do what I know some football clubs have been doing - ask for full ST payment fo for this year and then less the number of games you weren't allowed to attend is deducted off next season's price. Fair for the customer and the club has incentivised you to renew as well. 

A lot will depend on the refund policy after most fans didn’t ask for one last year.

Leigh typically double sales in SL min, sales I believe have been flat since we got in and Lockdown came back, we will have about 3000 capacity and expect they will go, but we wrote a no refunds clause into the ST deal this year so folk had been waiting IMO ps nearly all sales were pre SL application

Anyone buying a ST until a week or so ago (which included me) were risking not actually being able to get to a game so the number is not surprising. Clubs now need to promote the return of live games.

Holiday bookings are up 600% this week on the back of the government's announcement. If people are more confident they will get to experience what they pay for in the future, they are more likely to buy it.

I doubt Saints had 10,000 season ticket holders. Around 7k to 8k maybe.

Still a 50% drop would be worrying. 

The only metric i've seen from my club was a 60% renewal rate 8 days before the deadline. I'm sure they'll be down but hopefully ended up around the 80% mark.

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2020/12/15/season-members-snap-up-spots-for-next-year/

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

I doubt Saints had 10,000 season ticket holders. Around 7k to 8k maybe.

Still a 50% drop would be worrying. 

The only metric i've seen from my club was a 60% renewal rate 8 days before the deadline. I'm sure they'll be down but hopefully ended up around the 80% mark.

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2020/12/15/season-members-snap-up-spots-for-next-year/

There was five attendances of less than 10,000 for us in 2019, there’s no way we have that many season ticket holders. I’d say 8.5k as a rough guide, I reckon. 

Not surprising at all.

Lets be honest after last year where most fans gave up their tickets for little in return (afaik most offered something in relation to this year's Season Tickets) its unsurprising that so many have held off buying for this year. Especially so given the pandemic trajectory from November to January.

The loss of the habit of going to games and as reported the decline in Season Ticket numbers will be a major worry if it doesn't pick up immediately upon reopening.

It has been difficult, but hopefully this demonstrates why clubs absolutely need to make sure they engage with fans and give them reason to engage beyond turning up to the ground every other week.

I want to buy a season ticket for me and the kids and Mrs however i am not paying the £900 (decent seats) for this when the first games are lost and i may not want one next season. If they knock them off in advance i would happily go for it but it all seems so disorganized. 

1 minute ago, Col81 said:

I want to buy a season ticket for me and the kids and Mrs however i am not paying the £900 (decent seats) for this when the first games are lost and i may not want one next season. If they knock them off in advance i would happily go for it but it all seems so disorganized. 

That's the thing isn't it, they're asking for the same but not really delivering that same product and (other than the OuRLeague streaming of Sky games) not adapting or changing their product to compensate for that. I'm thinking home shirt for the kids or something more tangible now.

27 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

A lot will depend on the refund policy after most fans didn’t ask for one last year.

Leigh typically double sales in SL min, sales I believe have been flat since we got in and Lockdown came back, we will have about 3000 capacity and expect they will go, but we wrote a no refunds clause into the ST deal this year so folk had been waiting IMO ps nearly all sales were pre SL application

I got mine after the SL announcement, I was not aware of the no refund clause when I phoned up to order it, the ticket sales operative didn't inform me there would be no refunds or deductions of next season's ST, had I been told I would not have ordered it.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's the thing isn't it, they're asking for the same but not really delivering that same product and (other than the OuRLeague streaming of Sky games) not adapting or changing their product to compensate for that. I'm thinking home shirt for the kids or something more tangible now.

I now expect the clubs will be offering season tickets to reflect the number of games fans will be able to watch i.e. subtracting those games that will be played behind closed doors and a reduced cost along with it, I will be most dischuffed if my club say "Tough Sh-ite" to those who have already purchased.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I now expect the clubs will be offering season tickets to reflect the number of games fans will be able to watch i.e. subtracting those games that will be played behind closed doors and a reduced cost along with it, I will be most dischuffed if my club say "Tough Sh-ite" to those who have already purchased.

You'd hope something like that would happen if they weren't doing anything else to compensate - though I think other "equivalent value" stuff might be better like fan kit bundle type things.

Sadly I think clubs will take the increase price option given their financial predicament.

Covid or not, I think three game, six game etc ticket packages are something more clubs should do. I’m sure Leeds have done it and I’m certain most NRL clubs offer very similar but now, we’re hopefully heading out of the other side of this past year, clubs should be offering these type of tickets for fans who either don’t want to commit to a season ticket in it’s entirety or those who can’t, while also offering a ‘stepping stone’ between new fans starting out watching a club and then becoming a season ticket holder. 

I would be amazed if clubs achieved 50% of 'nornal' season ticket sales.

A season ticket is a fan saying "this is my commitment to attending all or most of my teams home games this year". Until this week there was no clue when anyone would be able to attend any of these games let alone let alone a season of games.

The challenge now we have a date to work towards is clubs being proactive and innovative in how they bring people through the turnstiles once fans are allowed back in.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

36 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I got mine after the SL announcement, I was not aware of the no refund clause when I phoned up to order it, the ticket sales operative didn't inform me there would be no refunds or deductions of next season's ST, had I been told I would not have ordered it.

If they don't provide the service you contracted for, the club is obliged to offer you a full or partial refund.

It's the law.

It would be interesting to know how many folk waived refunds, took them or accepted a credit against a future season ticket.  A lot of folk were saying that they would donate the refund to their club but, surprisingly, there was little comment from folk who asked for their money back.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

If they don't provide the service you contracted for, the club is obliged to offer you a full or partial refund.

It's the law.

It would be interesting to know how many folk waived refunds, took them or accepted a credit against a future season ticket.  A lot of folk were saying that they would donate the refund to their club but, surprisingly, there was little comment from folk who asked for their money back.

The press release about season tickets (written before the SL confirmation) https://leighrl.co.uk/wp/v2/blog/2020/11/03/leigh-centurions-launch-season-tickets-for-2021/ has the bit about no refunds in bold.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Griff said:

It's the law.

A ST or a "membership" is not a fee for a contract or service.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Covid or not, I think three game, six game etc ticket packages are something more clubs should do. I’m sure Leeds have done it and I’m certain most NRL clubs offer very similar but now, we’re hopefully heading out of the other side of this past year, clubs should be offering these type of tickets for fans who either don’t want to commit to a season ticket in it’s entirety or those who can’t, while also offering a ‘stepping stone’ between new fans starting out watching a club and then becoming a season ticket holder. 

I know that's what my family, and our 3/4 season tickets are going to be looking at doing. 

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The press release about season tickets (written before the SL confirmation) https://leighrl.co.uk/wp/v2/blog/2020/11/03/leigh-centurions-launch-season-tickets-for-2021/ has the bit about no refunds in bold.

I am aware of that now Ginger, but as I say I was not aware of the press release when I spoke to and ordered the season ticket, I don't think it would have been difficult for the ticket office employee to advice me of it, he didn't forget to take my C.C. number!

The other thing is if you read all through the statement you linked it is relating to Leigh playing the 2021 season in the Championship, also the quoted prices have been updated to reflect Leigh now playing in SL - I have payed more than the published price.

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I know that's what my family, and our 3/4 season tickets are going to be looking at doing. 

I think that's probably the way the market will go generally. 

I haven't bought a Leeds season ticket for some years now as, when you consider how many games you'd miss due to work / family / holiday commitments, the benefit wasn't really there. I think it worked out that you got two games "free" and there's a good chance that at least one of those two games would have been a game you weren't that bothered about missing. 

I think there was a lot of inertia around season ticket buying that has now been broken. Many, if not most, will go back to buying full season tickets but I definately think that there will be a bigger demand for "light" season ticket packages. 

Archived