James Child on the LGBT Sport Podcast

57 minutes ago, Wilderspoolmemories said:

I'm not bothered about him being gay. I am bothered about him being an awful referee who seems to penalise us heavily while letting the opposition go unpunished for offences. I resign myself to the fact that Warrington will probably lose when I see he's been appointed to "referee" our match. I'm usually correct!!

Totally agree not bothered about his sexuality, I am bothered about his standard of refereeing.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I reffed at junior level I did get a little tired of the " the refferees a ###### " chants from the sidelines , I asked the wife and my teams parents to stop , but they wouldn't 

And yes Gingerjohn this IS a true story 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

When I reffed at junior level I did get a little tired of the " the refferees a ###### " chants from the sidelines , I asked the wife and my teams parents to stop , but they wouldn't 

Don't worry, I've no problem believing that your wife can get together a crowd to shout abuse at you.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Don't worry, I've no problem believing that your wife can get together a crowd to shout abuse at you.

I was disappointed I couldn't make it but I had a previous commitment that I just couldn't shift.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't need Lynda's encouragement to hurl abuse at you Steve..  🤣🤣🤣

As most of you know I'm a younger chap and have grown up in perhaps the most open and accepting generation/time in history. I've been to school and University at a time where it has never been easier to come out and be whatever you wish, I've got numerous LGBT mates and indeed lived with one of them. Whilst I myself am not gay and despite those massive changes, I still recognise the world Keegan Hirst describes with his "nobody is gay in x" comment.

In particular, I've found that this is most prominent in classically macho environments where there has been a prolonged period of people knowing one another. That's not to say that these environments aren't often very accepting, just that it's perhaps still one of the most difficult places to "come out" in, especially if you are unsure of how your peers will react.

To some extent, I think that is down to the most visible aspects of the Male gay community. Being gay still has an immediate connotation with being effeminate, or at least not being "macho"; a stereotype reinforced by some of the most prominent figures in the Gay and wider LGBT Community - think Ru Paul's Drag Race or Louis Spence, for example. I can say from my own experience of high school and even Uni, that only those men comfortable and confident enough within themselves to either ignore that stereotype or embrace it to varying extents were able to confidently "come out". That hasn't so far included anyone I've played Rugby or Football with (at the time anyway), but has included other people at the same male environment (but without the same macho pressures) at the same time.

People like James Child, Keegan Hirst or Gareth Thomas are immensely important in that respect. That is to say people who are not overtly effeminate or have being gay as a defining feature of their personality (not that there is any problem with that at all!) as well as being from/in an intensely macho environment. In effect they show its possible and indeed perfectly normal to be gay and not have that be an obvious defining aspect of your personality.

I appreciate I may not have worded myself particularly well but please know I don't mean any offence and or otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As most of you know I'm a younger chap and have grown up in perhaps the most open and accepting generation/time in history. I've been to school and University at a time where it has never been easier to come out and be whatever you wish, I've got numerous LGBT mates and indeed lived with one of them. Whilst I myself am not gay and despite those massive changes, I still recognise the world Keegan Hirst describes with his "nobody is gay in x" comment.

In particular, I've found that this is most prominent in classically macho environments where there has been a prolonged period of people knowing one another. That's not to say that these environments aren't often very accepting, just that it's perhaps still one of the most difficult places to "come out" in, especially if you are unsure of how your peers will react.

To some extent, I think that is down to the most visible aspects of the Male gay community. Being gay still has an immediate connotation with being effeminate, or at least not being "macho"; a stereotype reinforced by some of the most prominent figures in the Gay and wider LGBT Community - think Ru Paul's Drag Race or Louis Spence, for example. I can say from my own experience of high school and even Uni, that only those men comfortable and confident enough within themselves to either ignore that stereotype or embrace it to varying extents were able to confidently "come out". That hasn't so far included anyone I've played Rugby or Football with (at the time anyway), but has included other people at the same male environment (but without the same macho pressures) at the same time.

People like James Child, Keegan Hirst or Gareth Thomas are immensely important in that respect. That is to say people who are not overtly effeminate or have being gay as a defining feature of their personality (not that there is any problem with that at all!) as well as being from/in an intensely macho environment. In effect they show its possible and indeed perfectly normal to be gay and not have that be an obvious defining aspect of your personality.

I appreciate I may not have worded myself particularly well but please know I don't mean any offence and or otherwise.

I still reserve the right to cite keegan Hirst's performance at prop while he was at fev as being utter sheeite without being labelled a homophobe!!

15 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I still reserve the right to cite keegan Hirst's performance at prop while he was at fev as being utter sheeite without being labelled a homophobe!!

Yeah course and I'm sure he'd want you to have precisely that right as he'd want to be treated how any other member of the team was.

That's very easy to do without being homophobic, just as it was easy for me to criticise Kallum Watkins without being racist.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah course and I'm sure he'd want you to have precisely that right as he'd want to be treated how any other member of the team was.

That's very easy to do without being homophobic, just as it was easy for me to criticise Kallum Watkins without being racist.

You didn't rate Kallum Watkins? 

1 minute ago, Archie Gordon said:

Just being honest. You've told us twice on this thread that you don't rate Keegan Hirst. But not because he's gay. I find the reiteration odd.

I got accused of being homophobic because of my opinion. It really pizzed me right off.  Yes.... I internalised it.... ruminated over it .... and got bloody well annoyed over it..

Yes...  I should just let it go.... 

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Being gay still has an immediate connotation with being effeminate, or at least not being "macho"; a stereotype reinforced by some of the most prominent figures in the Gay and wider LGBT Community - think Ru Paul's Drag Race or Louis Spence, for example. I can say from my own experience of high school and even Uni, that only those men comfortable and confident enough within themselves to either ignore that stereotype or embrace it to varying extents were able to confidently "come out".

A point made by James Child in the interview is that he found it (I forget the exact words he uses) basically weird when he realised he was gay because there were basically zero examples available to him of people who were gay and like him.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

You didn't rate Kallum Watkins? 

His tackling and defence, especially in combination with Ben Jones-Bishop on our right hand side in much of the early 2010s left much to be desired - such that when he dramatically improved this aspect of his game later in the decade (and particularly upon becoming captain in 2018) it was duly noted by many fans.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

His tackling and defence, especially in combination with Ben Jones-Bishop on our right hand side in much of the early 2010s left much to be desired - such that when he dramatically improved this aspect of his game later in the decade (and particularly upon becoming captain in 2018) it was duly noted by many fans.

I acknowledge that I watch primarily championship rugby.... but I always liked him earlier in his career. 

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A point made by James Child in the interview is that he found it (I forget the exact words he uses) basically weird when he realised he was gay because there were basically zero examples available to him of people who were gay and like him.

That is certainly a point I was trying to get across. I understand that perhaps by definition of them not putting it front and centre, gay men like Child are always going to be less prominent than more extrovert examples - but they are perhaps the figures who need to be, for want of a better word, "normalised", most.

11 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I acknowledge that I watch primarily championship rugby.... but I always liked him earlier in his career. 

I did too, especially with ball in hand. It was an example of how no one is going to accuse you of anything unless you are.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I did too, especially with ball in hand. It was an example of how no one is going to accuse you of anything unless you are.

I took being accused of homophobia seriously. I properly pizzed me off.

You don't know me or my family or what I'm involved with. If you did you may understand my angst.

There are few things in this world that will draw such a lasting reaction from me.... that did.

19 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I took being accused of homophobia seriously. I properly pizzed me off.

You don't know me or my family or what I'm involved with. If you did you may understand my angst.

There are few things in this world that will draw such a lasting reaction from me.... that did.

Fair enough, call out stupidity like that, but don't hold onto it

On 26/02/2021 at 13:38, Wakefield Ram said:

Out of interest have you checked the penalty count from say 10 Warrington games reffed by Childs and 10 Warrington games reffed by other refs? Then you could be certain he's biased. Or not.

Hi, yes mate I have, and I am justified in my opinion that the man seems to have a major problem with wire, especially when we play saints. I don't make wild, sweeping statements,I have done my homework!

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

4 hours ago, Wilderspoolmemories said:

Hi, yes mate I have, and I am justified in my opinion that the man seems to have a major problem with wire, especially when we play saints. I don't make wild, sweeping statements,I have done my homework!

You mind posting your homework? As I find it incredibly hard to believe that Child has a "major problem" with Wire. 

The man is a professional, and he will blow penalties if teams offend, which they do.. Surprisingly ......

Archived