championship odds

tms

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Who says they won’t have Leeds players? Dual-reg may have been removed by there will still be some form of loans and given the relationship between Leeds and Fev, I suspect many will end up at Fev. 

Thats it, Dual Reg will be done as loans this season. Halifax have already taken a Giants player on "season long" loan who would have been with us on dual reg. Fev and Leeds are masters of bending the rules when it comes to sharing players and I see no reason that this season will be any different.

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Thats it, Dual Reg will be done as loans this season. Halifax have already taken a Giants player on "season long" loan who would have been with us on dual reg. Fev and Leeds are masters of bending the rules when it comes to sharing players and I see no reason that this season will be any different.

It might not happen anywhere near as much if at all as before simply because we have a much bigger squad this year. Over the last couple of years we tended to go with squads of around 23, used a couple of DR players regularly plus fill-ins as and when injuries/suspensions required.

This year we've got a squad of 31, and whilst four or five of those are relatively young and are probably going to be fringe players unless injuries strike, there's a core of about 25 players who are probably of similar ability to the type of players who might be available from Leeds this year.

Having signed Holmes and Nu Brown (on what won't be negligible contracts you'd think), maybe I'm wrong but I can't see us using McLelland unless injuries strike, for instance. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw Luke Briscoe at some stage, and maybe one or two others sprinkled in, but at the start of the season, at least, we might be mostly be using our own players. Who knows though, we'll see.

47 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Fair point.  On the Fev thing,  not to turn this into dual reg  (loans clearly better) but the fact that Fev have been a stable club with good facilites is why Leeds want to work with them.  Widnes had great facilites but no stability,  Bradford neither and Newcastle were in League 1.  After this season Newcastle and Widnes will be in excellent position to bring in quality on loan. York also. 

Yes. Every Fev person Ive ever talked to loathes DR, but this is/was the system imposed on the sport, so you play the hand you're dealt. It's worked for both clubs. WE've seen A. Sutcliffe and Newman develop, we see Luke Briscoe as our own, and we've also suffered L.Sutcliffe and Dwyer etc with a strop-on. It's been mutually beneficial.

But that becomes the stick to beat Fev with when he look for promotion. Leeds A, full of DR's, can't hack it without the Leeds lot. 2021 will be an opportunity to show that's not the case.

Think Dewsbury will do a bit better than the odds suggest. No chance of winning it but I'd say evens chance of the playoffs if they have 6 teams. Hopefully Batley will be far worse than the odds when we play them and just do enough to stay up....so we can beat them again next season 😁😁

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Who says they won’t have Leeds players? Dual-reg may have been removed by there will still be some form of loans and given the relationship between Leeds and Fev, I suspect many will end up at Fev. 

Players can go out on loan to any club. Bradford, York or anyone else could take Leeds players on loan. The dual registration was an exclusive relationship between 2 clubs.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Players can go out on loan to any club. Bradford, York or anyone else could take Leeds players on loan. The dual registration was an exclusive relationship between 2 clubs.

And given the existing relationship between the two clubs, I think even Stevie Wonder can see some Leeds players pulling on the Fev shirt in 2021. 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

And given the existing relationship between the two clubs, I think even Stevie Wonder can see some Leeds players pulling on the Fev shirt in 2021. 

Exactly, James Webster would be a fool not to leverage his relationship at Leeds for some additional quality if it's going spare

19 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Exactly, James Webster would be a fool not to leverage his relationship at Leeds for some additional quality if it's going spare

The only difference now is if a player goes they're gone for a month.  Previously there was a lot of flexibility, a player could just turn out for a game at a time.  Leeds may be more reluctant to let some of the better squad players go than previous seasons

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It might not happen anywhere near as much if at all as before simply because we have a much bigger squad this year. Over the last couple of years we tended to go with squads of around 23, used a couple of DR players regularly plus fill-ins as and when injuries/suspensions required.

This year we've got a squad of 31, and whilst four or five of those are relatively young and are probably going to be fringe players unless injuries strike, there's a core of about 25 players who are probably of similar ability to the type of players who might be available from Leeds this year.

Having signed Holmes and Nu Brown (on what won't be negligible contracts you'd think), maybe I'm wrong but I can't see us using McLelland unless injuries strike, for instance. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw Luke Briscoe at some stage, and maybe one or two others sprinkled in, but at the start of the season, at least, we might be mostly be using our own players. Who knows though, we'll see.

We will be very choosy who we take from Leeds, not even sure Luke Gale would get a game with us!!

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The only difference now is if a player goes they're gone for a month.  Previously there was a lot of flexibility, a player could just turn out for a game at a time.  Leeds may be more reluctant to let some of the better squad players go than previous seasons

i'm sure i read somewhere they were considering 2 week minimum loans for this year in lieu of the DR system, not sure if it was officially signed off though

Rawsthorne was an obvious talent when we had him at Fax originally but I think he made a couple of poor career choices, not that anyone could blame him for wanting to play at a higher level, but I think it affected his development and is now one of those players that will stand out in the Championship but not quite good enough to make the full time jump to SL. Cracking signing for us though and we have gone very much under the radar for a change which is nice.

21 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Think Toulouse have the strongest team and squad but Covid travel issues could prove to be an obstacle to them.

York have made some impressive signings and have a tremendous young coach who will surely get a SL job in the next 3 years if he continues the fine job at York.

SL job with York 😁

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Archived