Rivals Round

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

What weird definition of rivals are they using here ?

If there once again isn't a heritage round someone deserves the sack, I don't care if they've already handed their notice in.

Obvious ones are KR v FC, Cas v Wakie, Wigan v Saints.

Id have had Leeds v Warrington and Hudds v Catalans seeing as there’s no Bradford, Widnes, Toulouse or Halifax

13 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I like that they’re trying to make events out of some rounds, I’d like the see a heritage round like the NRL do. Would be great if we only played these fixtures twice a year though

Exactly this. I hope we see more of this kind of thing. Round Seven must surely be Rob Burrow Round or MND round, I’m expecting that in tomorrow’s fixture release.

It would be nice to see something related to community rugby league in terms of a round seeing as they haven’t played in over a year. 

34 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Obvious ones are KR v FC, Cas v Wakie, Wigan v Saints.

Id have had Leeds v Warrington and Hudds v Catalans seeing as there’s no Bradford, Widnes, Toulouse or Halifax

They are conflating rivalries and derbies here a bit but it does leave a couple like Leeds vs Hudds and I guess Leigh vs Salford which don't quite fit. Wire vs Catalans is funny though if they've included it for the obvious reasons.

But at least they are pulling a round out to focus on - and having in each case scheduled the better supported team at home suggests to me, if crowds are back to capacity (doubtful TBH), they will aim to set a record cumulative attendance for the weekly rounds on this weekend.

Always going to be hard to incorporate such a round when we have one team in a different country. Think it’s a good idea to have more themed rounds and hope there’s a few more when the rest are announced tomorrow. I quite like the idea of drip feeding these specific rounds prior to the release of all the fixtures, too. 

These 'named' rounds seem to work quite well in the NRL, I just hope the RFL have though it through and it gets properly implemented.

Another one i'd like to see in the future would be a "Home Grown" round, possibly at the Magic weekend as all matches are at Neutral venues. All teams must use say 13 home grown players for that match. It would showcase a fair number of up & coming players who may not get much opportunity across other rounds, and it would also encourage clubs to lift their game in junior development. If they dont invest and dont promote their own youth then they're going to get a hammering in this round every year. and lose league points.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

7 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

These 'named' rounds seem to work quite well in the NRL, I just hope the RFL have though it through and it gets properly implemented.

Ignoring the rest of your post, yeah they do work well. I think a heritage round would be a good one, do a retro shirt-they're all the rage now. Town crests instead of modern logos, you could probably squeeze a few more shirt sales out of it.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Archived