Benefit of Fiji - real expansion

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

although Fiji winning the Union World Cup would be absolutely huge.

Certainly huge in Fiji.

Personally I wouldn`t mind if they did because it would be a fairly good indication that onion was going down the gurgler in a lot of other countries.

11 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Long term I agree you’ve got to think Tonga are going to get weaker, but right now Tonga have an absolute phenomenal team, really looking forward to seeing them in the World Cup this year.

Why do you think Tonga will get weaker?

The question is is RL stronger in Fiji than it was a decade or so ago. Unquestionably. It is far stronger than the 90s when it was practically non-existent. It will get stronger still with the Silktails. The same goes for Tonga, they have come a huge way both internationally and domestically in less than a decade.  The game has got even stronger and more professional in PNG with the advent of the Hunters. The same also goes for the NRL and Australia now with the aftermath of the Super League wars and News Corp involvement/ownership of the game now a distant memory. RL is looking pretty damn good in Australasia and is growing whilst others like RU are declining. That only bodes well for RL in Fiji.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

The question is is RL stronger in Fiji than it was a decade or so ago. Unquestionably. It is far stronger than the 90s when it was practically non-existent. It will get stronger still with the Silktails. The same goes for Tonga, they have come a huge way both internationally and domestically in less than a decade.  The game has got even stronger and more professional in PNG with the advent of the Hunters. The same also goes for the NRL and Australia now with the aftermath of the Super League wars and News Corp involvement/ownership of the game now a distant memory. RL is looking pretty damn good in Australasia and is growing whilst others like RU are declining. That only bodes well for RL in Fiji.

Agree with this 100%. 

hopefully the NRL will expand to 17 teams in the next 5 years and then 18 by 2030 giving more opportunities for Pacific Islanders to secure an NRL contract.

4 hours ago, Keith989 said:

Neither union or league could have had complete domination in Fiji. 7s is still king and their 2 world series and olympic gold medal in the last 5 years will ensure that continues for decades to come. It is what it is, there's no reason all forms of rugby can't have its place in Fiji. I love watching Fiji play in all forms of rugby, they are a joy to watch. 

7s isn't really a sport as such. 

The NRL is now  hifgly attractive options for young Fijian players 

The fact that Hull were able to showcase Ratu Naulanga is a testimony to our sport 

1 hour ago, The storm said:

The fact that Hull were able to showcase Ratu Naulanga is a testimony to our sport 

Sorry I must have been dreaming when I watched it at the olympics or in the world series on sky sports or played it at school

15 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Long term I agree you’ve got to think Tonga are going to get weaker, but right now Tonga have an absolute phenomenal team, really looking forward to seeing them in the World Cup this year.

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

Young demographic, 106 000 population and growing, you can guarantee they will have good participation rates, so if you want to talk about potential player numbers domestically, that`s the equivalent of a 300 000 city any where else, I expect Tonga to remain a force in both Mens and increasingly Women`s for a long time to come.

Don`t be surprised to see some Fijian Silktails type scenario coming out of several Pacific Islands in the near future as the success of that venture is realised and copied by other NRL clubs.

13 hours ago, Keith989 said:

Neither union or league could have had complete domination in Fiji. 7s is still king and their 2 world series and olympic gold medal in the last 5 years will ensure that continues for decades to come. It is what it is, there's no reason all forms of rugby can't have its place in Fiji. I love watching Fiji play in all forms of rugby, they are a joy to watch. 

Fiji's national 7 a side team has definitely been the most successful and consistent out of the two union code. Domestically 15 a side is by far the biggest in participation numbers, crowds, competitions and coverage compared to 7's.

9 hours ago, The storm said:

7’s is sandwiched in between darts and snooker in the great “is it really a sport” debate.

19 hours ago, Eddie said:

They are arguably the best team in the World right now, having beaten Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain, which is great for the International game but Tonga is a tiny Island Nation with a very small population.

They have the best player in the World in Vaai (Jason) Taumalolo, do they have the conveyer belt of talent to replace the likes of Taumalolo when they retire? I don’t think so. And I say that without wanting to sound negative, we should embrace and enjoy the upsets Tonga can cause right now (well when they beat Australia and New Zealand not so much when they beat us)

On 28/02/2021 at 20:55, Taniwha Warriors said:

Fiji's national 7 a side team has definitely been the most successful and consistent out of the two union code. Domestically 15 a side is by far the biggest in participation numbers, crowds, competitions and coverage compared to 7's.

I feel union plays 7s bscause the 15 man code is regimented and not very appealing 

Our code does not need to downplay or simplify our sport as it is both fast and exciting 

Archived