Roast potatoes.

Right guys, we all know men are the best chefs, amateur or not.

How are we doing our roast potatoes?

For me, par boiled for 17 minutes then placed on a tray of pre heated olive oil. 20 minutes in I pour on some chicken stock and sprinkle with rosemary and thyme, overall cooking time from boil to roast is one hour and twenty minutes, discuss (at your peril)

I roast them as hot and quick as I can, so I'd go for something with a higher smoke point than olive oil. While I still use olive oil for some cooking, I use rapeseed oil more often, and definitely for high temperature work. As well as the plain stuff, I have a bottle of smoked rapeseed oil (Fussell's brand), which can be a nice change. Also in the fridge, goose fat and Iberico pork fat, for special occasion roast potatoes.

I also cut the potatoes a little smaller than most would for roasting, which means you get more crispy surface per total volume of vegetable.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I had not thought of adding stock. 

Sounds like halfway between fondant and roast potatoes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Use Maris Piper.

Desiree or King Edwards if you cannot get Maris Piper

(They make the best jackets too)

A useful guide to buying the best spud for your chosen method of cooking: https://www.londonproduceguide.co.uk/roasted-potatoes 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I sometimes chuck a bay leaf or two into the water when parboiling the potatoes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Parboiled for 10 minutes,drain and add to a large dish,pour over some warm fats/goodness from the roast that should have had an or more by now, then plenty of salt and groundg black pepper,a couple of teaspoons of the veg seasoning from spice area in most supermarkets,i get a few from m&s and put them in a jar, give it all a shake about and throw them in with the joint for last hour,or seperate dish if you aint got room, best raosters you will ever taste.

image.jpeg.3a5e19249161dea726b44ba7f5728d2a.jpeg

Boil them until they are just soft on the outside, then drain, & shake so the edges have broken slightly, uncovered until the lard in the oven has reached 200c (in a tray, of course, for the Yorkies), then carefully place the spuds in the Lard and baste, turning the spuds, then place in oven for 20-25 mins tuning & basting every so often.

Fresh spuds the fresher the better. (Get mine from a farmer rather that supermarket who’s spuds are more likely to be over 4 months out of the ground)  furious boil for seven to ten mins.  Table spoon of four then into hot oil one to at good at high temperature .  Salt ten mins before done.

• 1 month later...

Parboil the potatoes in salted water with just a little bit of baking soda for a few minutes. This makes the outmost layer of the potato much softer and that's the goal rather than getting a head start on the cooking. Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot, dry pan to evaporate off the excess water. Add butter (or other fat but animal fats are best), your seasonings, and coarse salt. Then, shake the heck out of it! The goal is to break up the even surface of that smooth but now softened layer of potato so all those bits of extra surface area can brown in the oven when you roast them at 400.

The problem with being taken middle class is that all your dinners become posh in one way or another. So even the most ordinary things like roast tatties take on aspects which wouldn't look out of place o the Greta British Menu.

And so I never use lard the taste of a childhood.

I liked some of the suggestions on this thread. I tend to vary between

Piment d'Espelette bio 50g - Gewürze  

Shop - Cornish Sea Salt Company LtdSTEENBERGS SPICE TASTER PANEL

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

The problem with being taken middle class is that all your dinners become posh in one way or another. So even the most ordinary things like roast tatties take on aspects which wouldn't look out of place o the Greta British Menu.

And so I never use lard the taste of a childhood.

I liked some of the suggestions on this thread. I tend to vary between

Piment d'Espelette bio 50g - Gewürze  

Shop - Cornish Sea Salt Company LtdSTEENBERGS SPICE TASTER PANEL

Ever tried this site? https://www.souschef.co.uk/collections/ingredients 

I've had some very good stuff from there.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just have mash instead - saves all the faff!

That's a whole 'nother subject, with its own legion of opinions.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Ever tried this site? https://www.souschef.co.uk/collections/ingredients 

I've had some very good stuff from there.

We haven't seen this before and the head chef is grateful too.

We're a bit restricted becuse the headchef is gluten intolerant and has quite a few allergies plus  since my illness my diet's been very regulated. To give you an idea Potato is only just recently back on the menu.

But in any case any outlet that stocks Belazu Harisa has got a top rating. And so ...

image.png.f5ac5882fbc5ff87b34bf2bc9c818bf9.png

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

We haven't seen this before and the head chef is grateful too.

We're a bit restricted becuse the headchef is gluten intolerant and has quite a few allergies plus  since my illness my diet's been very regulated. To give you an idea Potato is only just recently back on the menu.

But in any case any outlet that stocks Belazu Harisa has got a top rating. And so ...

image.png.f5ac5882fbc5ff87b34bf2bc9c818bf9.png

Happy to help The Hon.Simon and Minty Marchmont any time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived