Canadian firm slams Toronto, RFL over debt debacle

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, silverback said:

Did we learn anything,?

Yes! We learned that the majority of SL clubs are only interested in themselves. This situation may never have developed if  the WP had not been deprived of their share of TV money. That being the case SL is mainly responsible for that fiasco.

10 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

Exclusive: A Canadian company owed more than £170,000 by Toronto Wolfpack has taken aim at the defunct club and the leadership of the RFL and...

View the full article

"... Even though the business of the Wolfpack continues to be active ..."

Curiouser and curiouser ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, frank said:

Yes! We learned that the majority of SL clubs are only interested in themselves. This situation may never have developed if  the WP had not been deprived of their share of TV money. That being the case SL is mainly responsible for that fiasco.

6D9152A6-2F87-4551-AD43-5576288A2993.jpeg

2 hours ago, frank said:

i thought they asked to not have any $$$£$  help to get in the door so hardly deprived,because of the sponser/owner/backer with lots of dosh,and as probably done damage to other clubs needing backing/sponsership if they then get stiffed for bundles of £$ with unpaid wages and bills.

8 hours ago, silverback said:

Did we learn anything,?

I would ask the question of governing body financial audits on TWP.  Seems so obvious that a ‘central office’ does scheduled audits to check whether that business is continually operationally viable by identify these outstanding unpaid bills or any owed monies.  This might have happened, I don’t know, but I seriously doubt it.

Notwithstanding the Argyle failings the RFL ‘soft touch’ approach is a cop out imo.  All these businesses (clubs) impact on each other at some time or other.

9 hours ago, silverback said:

Did we learn anything,?

Yes.  The Wolfpack/Argyle "lied" to the RFL/ SL.  It's clear that they were avoiding paying suppliers as far back as 2018.

We learn that Argyle is clearly nowhere near being a "billionaire" ... that is just smoke and mirrors. 

We learn the no proper due process was carried out to allow the Wolfpack into the RLF system.   

We learn that even if Argyle's heart was (maybe) in the right place, his money wasn't.

As ever, and time and again commentators will not listen, what the RL need is investment.  Real money.

2 minutes ago, jroyales said:

It's interesting to note all the hoops that Leigh had to jump through before being allowed into sooperdooperleeg whilst

the crazy idea of Canadian teams, and possibly American teams can get in via the back door.

Where are teams being let in by the SL "back door"?   Where are they?   In fact the SL showed TWP the door and slam it shut on the way out.  Leigh where let in by the Butler by the front door.

Its not good though to wash your laundry in public, its very unprofessional no-one wants to see companies losing money and not being paid however going public on this is not the way to do it.

I know of one organisation that lost around 250K in investment due to the TR and they havant said a word just carried on.

36 minutes ago, jroyales said:

It's interesting to note all the hoops that Leigh had to jump through before being allowed into sooperdooperleeg whilst

the crazy idea of Canadian teams, and possibly American teams can get in via the back door.

That's not what happened though is it?

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its not good though to wash your laundry in public, its very unprofessional no-one wants to see companies losing money and not being paid however going public on this is not the way to do it.

I know of one organisation that lost around 250K in investment due to the TR and they havant said a word just carried on.

I don't think that is where criticism should be aimed mate.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I would ask the question of governing body financial audits on TWP.  Seems so obvious that a ‘central office’ does scheduled audits to check whether that business is continually operationally viable by identify these outstanding unpaid bills or any owed monies.  This might have happened, I don’t know, but I seriously doubt it.

Notwithstanding the Argyle failings the RFL ‘soft touch’ approach is a cop out imo.  All these businesses (clubs) impact on each other at some time or other.

That does sound like a full time role though - pretty much managing limited companies budgets.

I'm not sure that should be the case tbh, I think very harsh punishments for poor financial management is probably the best route. 

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

Do you mean TWP getting in via the back door of winning promotion on the pitch, while Leigh had to go through the hoops of submitting an application form?

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

By earning promotion on the field? I must have missed the part when Leigh did that. 

Archived