Lebanon in the WC

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

I doubt if the Lebanese domestic league is anywhere near the standard of L1 tbh. 

That wasn’t what I was suggesting. Clearly overall standard of the entire domestic league in Lebanon won’t be the same but I was just thinking that a handful of players would have the ability to play semi-pro rugby league and be regulars in Championship 1.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/03/2021 at 18:12, Eddie said:

Lebanon have announced that there’ll be at least six domestic players in their WC squad. Not as many as I’d like to see but being realistic it’s a really positive step. I believe Greece will do something similar, but presumably not Italy. 

https://everythingrugbyleague.com/lebanon-rugby-league-federation-reaffirm-domestic-quota-for-world-cup-squad/

In my opinion all teams at the world cup should have at least 6 players from their domestic leagues

9 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

In my opinion all teams at the world cup should have at least 6 players from their domestic leagues

Agreed, or at least developed by domestic clubs (ie if that happened and they moved onto SL or the NRL it would count). 

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, or at least developed by domestic clubs (ie if that happened and they moved onto SL or the NRL it would count). 

The rule for domestic players is very clear (though I cannot seem to find them on ERL or IRL sites, they used to be there until recently).

But in short, remember, a "domestic" player does not necessarily play in the domestic league.  But he is a "domestic product". 

For example, Italian born and bred player, Gioele Celerino, playing in Elite 1 with Palau.  If he goes all the way on to become a Super League or NRL player, it does not matter, he will forever be considered a domestic player. 

On the opposite end of the spectrum, if Tedesco goes and plays a few years in Italy, he is still forever considered a heritage player.

If ever you are confused about where someone fits it, simply think of it this way:  where did he first learn to play rugby league?  The answer to that, will then answer your question about if he is domestic or heritage player.  The guidelines on this are actually very thorough and shut down any potential loopholes as well.

Archived