2nd NZ NRL franchise

2 hours ago, Copa said:

There’s also a country next door with 25 million people with companies that love the exposure an NRL team can bring. So they don’t have to rely purely on local money.

The Warriors are regularly on Australian TV and their highlights are shown on prime time television news broadcasts here in Australia. 

Their jerseys, complete with sponsorships, are in photographs in the largest selling newspapers and online media too.

Radio programs also talk about them.

They probably get more exposure in Australia than any other sporting team from NZ. The All Blacks get sporadic peaks but the Warriors are there during preseason and during the season.

In that case the NRL might as well choose an Australian team as the 18th team, from a financial point of view anyway. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Pulga said:

Not only that but a ridiculous crime rate and the worst violence against women in the entire world.

I find that a little bit slanderous, It is well documented that violence against women and violence in general is an issue in PNG but to make claims like ` worst ..in the entire world` shouldn`t just be bandied about unnecessarily. 

We have to take a bit of the responsibility for social problems in New Guinea as well for disrupting an ancient culture with the introduction of alcohol, drugs and the breakdown of traditional structures.

I could understand the calls for a 2nd NZ NRL club if the Warriors were going great but the sad fact is they’ve had 1 winning season since their last Grand Final appearance 10 yrs ago and have only averaged 11-13,000 fans during that period despite being the only show in New Zealand’s supposed RL hotbed.

Perth should be the 18th franchise.

There is, and always has been, a latent support for RL in NZ that could be tapped into by a second NRL team, and we know the players are there. The facilities too. I think a second club could be just as strong as the Warriors. The issue, as ever, is finding the investors needed to get the whole thing up and running in the first place.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

13 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I could understand the calls for a 2nd NZ NRL club if the Warriors were going great but the sad fact is they’ve had 1 winning season since their last Grand Final appearance 10 yrs ago and have only averaged 11-13,000 fans during that period despite being the only show in New Zealand’s supposed RL hotbed.

Warriors on-field performance has nothing to do with the potential inclusion of a 2nd NZ club. And it certainly doesn't make the case for Perth.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I don't buy the argument that on field performance from NZ Warriors is relevant when it comes to a 2nd NZ team. The same goes for Catalans, the French game and Super League. I'm a great believer in NZ Warriors will be driven to be better by the competition of a 2nd NZ team, just as Catalans would be by the addition of Toulouse. NZ Warriors and Catalans are so similar in every way. Both up and down teams, both very complacent with a huge market to themselves and don't even necessarily attract the best players from their own countries. They need that competition to improve every aspect of what they do and keep them on top of their game.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Long term we should be aiming for a PNG side in the NRL but right now the PNG Hunters in the Queensland Cup is ideal.

Yeah, there's just too many areas higher up quey (Brisbane 2, Perth, NZ 2, Adelaide, Central Coast etc) before taking a huge punt on a team from a third world country.

Realistic expansion for PNG should be getting a second team in the Queensland Cup.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

They get more fans than 11-13k, I just looked at one year (2018) and their average was over 17k. 

18 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Auckland has a population of about 1,500,000 they could easily have 2 clubs in the city. We have 2 Super League clubs in each of the towns of Wakefield and Wigan remember.

Look how powerful and flourished those clubs all are

20 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

The only downside is that it could be 10 years from now

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’d love it if it happened, but even the CEO of the NZRL doesn’t think this is viable yet. 

I will tell you something that is a dead eye cert, there is no way on god`s earth that Peter V`landy`s will be waiting 10 years to admit the 18th franchise into the NRL. I expect the NRL to be well on the way to 20 teams by then.

V`landy`s is not the sort of man who lets the grass grow under his feet at the best of times and as he approaches 61 is more than well aware of his own mortality. Several times when pressed about how long he will be sticking around in Rugby League he has repllied " if I`m still alive" and " if I last that long". V`landy`s is a man haunted by the premature death of his Father, whom he thinks worked himself to a premature death ensuring that Peter got everything that he missed out on. He envisages that he might not last that long himself.

Blokes like that don`t slow down they only tend to try and cram more and more in as they feel that they mightn`t have a lot of time.

Stick around, things are going to get very interesting in Oz RL over the next few years.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

But have you seen the crowds they get when they start to win, 18 000 - 20 000 is not uncommon.

I was just reading an interview with the NZRL CEO, he was saying that 65% of NZ union fans have at least a casual interest in League, the challenge he said was developing that casual interest. A couple of successful teams would help.

They averaged 13,800 in the last Grand Final season,

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

But have you seen the crowds they get when they start to win, 18 000 - 20 000 is not uncommon.

I think the reputation for Auckland fans to be highly volatile in support levels is worth remembering. Its true of both the Blues and the Warriors.

The NRL wouldn't even be contemplating a second NZ team unless there was the money in the market to make it happen.

Most likely Sky and Fox have given some indication of what they'd be prepared to pay for a 9th game per week and the amount must be enough to make it worth considering.

Another team in NZ ticks a lot of boxes when it comes to potential crowds and being able to develop quality players.

It also opens up other live TV timeslots due to timezone differences (or gives you two clubs you can predominantly put in the 6pm Friday slot), plus you have a large audience of New Zealanders living in Australia (Over 500K born and bred alone) to take advantage of as well.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

6 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Most likely Sky and Fox have given some indication of what they'd be prepared to pay for a 9th game per week and the amount must be enough to make it worth considering.

There is a renegotiation clause in the NRL deal with Foxtel if a 17th side is admitted, this will be no different if a good case is made for a 18th, 19th and 20th.

It was widely reported that V`landy`s trip to Super Bowl in 2018, the one where he took Abdo not Greenberg, included a visit to Lachlan Murdoch to seek permission to start planning for a 17th franchise.

As one senior executive of Fox Sports told Roy Masters recently, " Fox can`t get enough of Rugby League".

A 2nd NZ team would be fantastic. 17 invites 18. Some how or way two new clubs are coming.

I'd love to see some rivalry in the NRL for two Kiwis team.

I'd also like them to have a Pacific presence too.

A 9th game would be valuable to the game.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

There is a renegotiation clause in the NRL deal with Foxtel if a 17th side is admitted, this will be no different if a good case is made for a 18th, 19th and 20th.

It was widely reported that V`landy`s trip to Super Bowl in 2018, the one where he took Abdo not Greenberg, included a visit to Lachlan Murdoch to seek permission to start planning for a 17th franchise.

As one senior executive of Fox Sports told Roy Masters recently, " Fox can`t get enough of Rugby League".

Agreed and also the direction the "partnership" was going to take now News Corp is getting into gambling:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/rupert-murdoch-set-to-increase-wager-on-us-gambling-boom-20210303-p577a1.html

On 02/03/2021 at 13:41, eal said:

As a New Zealander, I think a second NRL team in the country would be madness. There isn't the corporate money for the team to be competitive. Perth would be a much better option I reckon. Outside of Auckland, Rugby League has nothing more than a moderate following and certainly has little money behind it.

Maybe but if the NRL decide to place a club there they would get a grant of 13million plus decent players. Surely this would attract attention.

Archived