Professional Canadian League in 2022

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Toronto Wolfpack clearly built a big rugby league following in Toronto, hopefully Robert Elstone hasn’t lost those fans to the game forever and they get behind this new competition.

When a team goes down the pan, the founders, and owners feel a bit hardy on themselves, I know as I ran an Amatuer club for two years, after that folded, I lost touch with the game for a while, I hope the Canadian keep their chins up and their sticks down, and go for it.

A pro 9s competition in Canada, funded by the fans, run by two people living in the north of England, looking to give 10% of the profits to the grassroots...

I just don’t see how it will work, let alone make a profit or be genuinely pro. Hope I’m proven wrong.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2021/03/01/plans-announced-to-create-a-grassroots-canadian-rugby-league-co-op.html

18 minutes ago, Sammo said:

A pro 9s competition in Canada, funded by the fans, run by two people living in the north of England, looking to give 10% of the profits to the grassroots...

I just don’t see how it will work, let alone make a profit or be genuinely pro. Hope I’m proven wrong.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2021/03/01/plans-announced-to-create-a-grassroots-canadian-rugby-league-co-op.html

You’re in the right place here.

29 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Toronto Wolfpack clearly built a big rugby league following in Toronto, hopefully Robert Elstone hasn’t lost those fans to the game forever and they get behind this new competition.

Looks like the Wolfpack are leaving a better legacy than Elstone. Just proving that report into the viability of RL in Canada was garbage.

Interesting, but too early to pass judgement unless you are working on blind assumptions and/or prejudice. I look forward to hearing more!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I hope he thought that was a positive opener to get started, before making his true feelings known. 

😂😂I was trying not to be a complete doom-monger, but do you disagree? 

Edit: Not a total newbie by the way, have been around since 2019, just a serial lurker!

"Professional", lol.

Players will be paid on a pro-am model.

So they might not have to pitch in for their shirts or the bus, and might get a couple hundred bucks?

I posted this is the Toronto forum a while abo, but since it's dead, I'll copy it here since it applies:

Part of rugby league's problem in growing anywhere is that people involved always want the result to be professional clubs, and decisions are made to find shortest path to get there. I guess it's inevitable due to its roots as a professional offshoot of an existing game. But with TWP, the Denver England-NZ game, with other exhibitions around North America and Europe, the discussion always goes something like "hey great! people will like it!" (fine) "maybe we'll see a bunch of club spring up!" (doubtful but optimistic) "and in a few years we'll see a semi-pro league" (what the ?). 

Rugby union has been played constantly in North America since before the RFU was was formed, and it took until  2016 to make an attempt of professionalizing it. Soccer has been around almost as long and had several leagues try and fail to sustain themselves, and MLS barely survived its first years before finding its current success. It took 100 years for professional hockey to expand its way across the continent. They all have player bases of thousands. 

But rugby league thinks it can stage a couple games, start a couple clubs full of locals, and we're just a few rich guy buy-ins away from a professional league that will "take off"?

Let's look at a similar niche sport. Ontario has an Aussie rules league, founded in 1989. Supposedly it's the biggest league outside Australia, with 8 teams and sometimes a 2nd division. If it was rugby league everyone would be drooling over it, calling it "the next heartland", asking how many fans are attending and if it could go semi-pro. AFL Ontario isn't any of those things, and never will be, it's just a game that a few hundred people like to play in the park on the weekend. 

For a sport to go pro you either need the money to act successful until you are successful (Melbourne, TWP at first, NHL expansion in the south, NFL if they go to London), or an amateur critical-mass far, far larger than what rugby league has here (lacrosse, rugby union).

Since then I've read similar comments in the Scotland RL thread, where again we go from "Oh yay, a fourth team, we can have a functioning league" to "what are the paying crowds like"

If people want to ###### their money away putting the cart before the horse, I guess let em try. But when the ORL can't get more than 2 mens teams running consistently, I don't see how this will be any different. 

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Since then I've read similar comments in the Scotland RL thread, where again we go from "Oh yay, a fourth team, we can have a functioning league" to "what are the paying crowds like"

Nothing more cringeworthy than when some poor soul in Albania or Ukraine posts about a Rugby League team he’s set up with some pals and the first response is

“how many fans do you get?”

4 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Nothing more cringeworthy than when some poor soul in Albania or Ukraine posts about a Rugby League team he’s set up with some pals and the first response is

“how many fans do you get?”

That isn’t quite as bad as, it’ll never work. 

Archived