Professional Canadian League in 2022

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

When a team goes down the pan, the founders, and owners feel a bit hardy on themselves, I know as I ran an Amatuer club for two years, after that folded, I lost touch with the game for a while, I hope the Canadian keep their chins up and their sticks down, and go for it.

That`s totally understandable, you wouldn`t be human if you didn`t, and it`s probably the best course of action any way, to take a little time to reassess.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s little that we know is factual about the whole thing. 

There’s plenty, there are 16 teams who’ve entered, and the comp understandably had to be delayed because of the pandemic. 

C'mon Canada! The game that just won't die. 

How heartwarming it is, to hear these stories from all over the globe, about new enthusiasts for our game, that just can't wait to get involved. If this kind of growth rate is maintained for the next 5 years or so, it could make the English game irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things.

Come on Ralph let's get our act together before we're overtaken by the minnows. 

Comparing the CCCRL plans to Euro XIII isn't really fair, the two concepts are taking quite different approaches with how they intend on starting their competitions.

Whilst Euro XIII has a lot of either new Rugby League clubs, or clubs who have returned from being dormant, the CCCRL, at least initially, is selecting players from mainly areas which already have some form of Rugby League activity.

British Colombia, Alberta and Ontario all have some form of regular Rugby League activity (or at least pre-COVID), Saskatchewan has at least a team and was well represented in the last East v West match, meaning Quebec is the only area needing to find some players.

In addition, for year one at least the CCCRL is running a nines competition with all teams playing out of Lamport Stadium in Toronto. Whilst not a small task getting players from across the country to one venue for a series of games, it is certainly on the doable scale and not drastically different than say many 'nationals' that a lot of sports run.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

If this kind of growth rate is maintained for the next 5 years or so, it could make the English game irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things.

I think it could be much sooner than 5 years.

new rise.jpg

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Interesting, but too early to pass judgement unless you are working on blind assumptions and/or prejudice. I look forward to hearing more!

There's a lot in that article that could work but there are, as you'd expect, a huge amount of holes.

My overall question is that if this is a professional league - i.e. players being paid for their time and playing in front of people who are spending money to be there all backed by financial investment (however generated) - then I don't get the advantage of nines over the full game.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There's a lot in that article that could work but there are, as you'd expect, a huge amount of holes.

My overall question is that if this is a professional league - i.e. players being paid for their time and playing in front of people who are spending money to be there all backed by financial investment (however generated) - then I don't get the advantage of nines over the full game.

The only advantage for 9s over 13s is if the player pool isn’t really there

Just now, Spidey said:

The only advantage for 9s over 13s is if the player pool isn’t really there

Which I get for community/grassroots/entirely developmental purposes - nines is better than nothing - but at a professional level then, to my eye, it would be better having X-1 teams playing the full game rather than X playing 9s and then you can add the number of teams as the league develops.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Which I get for community/grassroots/entirely developmental purposes - nines is better than nothing - but at a professional level then, to my eye, it would be better having X-1 teams playing the full game rather than X playing 9s and then you can add the number of teams as the league develops.

Nines can be played over a compressed period, potentially the 2022 comp with 6 clubs could run over 2 weekends for example, you cannot do that with thirteens. That, along with a single city venue in year 1, significantly reduces financial risk while they become established as a league.

Not sure what they have planned, but the NRL are looking at nines again as part of their growth strategy, as do several developing nations, it is a good tool if used properly.

56 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Nines can be played over a compressed period, potentially the 2022 comp with 6 clubs could run over 2 weekends for example, you cannot do that with thirteens. That, along with a single city venue in year 1, significantly reduces financial risk while they become established as a league.

Not sure what they have planned, but the NRL are looking at nines again as part of their growth strategy, as do several developing nations, it is a good tool if used properly.

Good points about being able to play from a single location in chunks of time.

Be interesting to see how this one develops.

7 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

Comparing the CCCRL plans to Euro XIII isn't really fair, the two concepts are taking quite different approaches with how they intend on starting their competitions.

Whilst Euro XIII has a lot of either new Rugby League clubs, or clubs who have returned from being dormant, the CCCRL, at least initially, is selecting players from mainly areas which already have some form of Rugby League activity.

British Colombia, Alberta and Ontario all have some form of regular Rugby League activity (or at least pre-COVID), Saskatchewan has at least a team and was well represented in the last East v West match, meaning Quebec is the only area needing to find some players.

In addition, for year one at least the CCCRL is running a nines competition with all teams playing out of Lamport Stadium in Toronto. Whilst not a small task getting players from across the country to one venue for a series of games, it is certainly on the doable scale and not drastically different than say many 'nationals' that a lot of sports run.

It’s totally fair to compare the two. They’re rebel competitions unaligned to any countries governing body or any regional governing body, for a start. Is division what we particularly want within the sport?

The details, at best, of both “competitions” are vague and, from the outset, not particularly SMART and requires some finance, of which, it appears there is little of at the current time. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s totally fair to compare the two. They’re rebel competitions unaligned to any countries governing body or any regional governing body, for a start. Is division what we particularly want within the sport?

The details, at best, of both “competitions” are vague and, from the outset, not particularly SMART and requires some finance, of which, it appears there is little of at the current time. 

Pretty sure I've seen supportive comments from the CRL.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They say they’re supportive but, rightly, are not supporting financially. 

That doesn't make this a rebel comp.

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It doesn’t make it a competition aligned to an international governing body either. 

You called it a rebel competition unaligned ti a governing body. Which it isn't.

Archived