Professional Canadian League in 2022

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Cool. Love your national flag and think you could have a awesome RL jersey 👍

From yesterday we have a great Jersey design , a little bit different let say from the typical Albanian sport jerseys. Sooner we will make public the desing of our new Jersey and kits and the name of the Brand.

Thank you mate again for let me know about the comment i did , thanks for this words mate ,respect

3 minutes ago, naldo88 said:

From yesterday we have a great Jersey design , a little bit different let say from the typical Albanian sport jerseys. Sooner we will make public the desing of our new Jersey and kits and the name of the Brand.

Thank you mate again for let me know about the comment i did , thanks for this words mate ,respect

That’s good to hear about your New Jersey. Love reading about RL development in the balkans as I think you guys are very well suited to the game of RL being tough both physically and mentally.

I have a quick left field question for you mate. Can people from Kosovo represent Albania in sport? Do the people of Kosovo own Albanian passport?

8 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

That’s good to hear about your New Jersey. Love reading about RL development in the balkans as I think you guys are very well suited to the game of RL being tough both physically and mentally.

I have a quick left field question for you mate. Can people from Kosovo represent Albania in sport? Do the people of Kosovo own Albanian passport?

Kosovo is an independent country from 2008 , and they have their own pasport, before that Yugoslavia passport (a country tha doesn't exist any more) 

Kosovo Albanians are alwready representing Albania in sport in all the majority disciplines, we are working to give them the opportunity to be part of the national team , wich is in process giving them an Albanian passport wich we have an agreement with the Presidential office for athletes to rapresent the country, but also other ways wich are followed before by other sports and different federation in the Balkan reguon with countries that once were part of Yugoslavia.  In Kosovo they have only union , and the majority of them have contacted us showing the will and interest to join the national team of Albania in Rugby League . At the moment we are speaking we have 40+ candidates Albanians from Kosovo willing to make the training camp in Tirana we have planed for the national team selection. We are working to fulfill all IRL and  ERL criteria for eligibility and also to give all the Albanians players the opportunity to rapresent theyr nation.

3 minutes ago, naldo88 said:

Kosovo is an independent country from 2008 , and they have their own pasport, before that Yugoslavia passport (a country tha doesn't exist any more) 

Kosovo Albanians are alwready representing Albania in sport in all the majority disciplines, we are working to give them the opportunity to be part of the national team , wich is in process giving them an Albanian passport wich we have an agreement with the Presidential office for athletes to rapresent the country, but also other ways wich are followed before by other sports and different federation in the Balkan reguon with countries that once were part of Yugoslavia.  In Kosovo they have only union , and the majority of them have contacted us showing the will and interest to join the national team of Albania in Rugby League . At the moment we are speaking we have 40+ candidates Albanians from Kosovo willing to make the training camp in Tirana we have planed for the national team selection. We are working to fulfill all IRL and  ERL criteria for eligibility and also to give all the Albanians players the opportunity to rapresent theyr nation.

Thanks for that detailed reply mate👍

I only ask because Albania is such a small country of just under 3 million I believe and if you could draw more ethnic Albanians from Kosovo to increase your player pool it would greatly benefit you.

21 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Full length interview with the CCCRL founders on this week's Chasing Kangaroos:

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-4r7py-d5a88c9?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

So they're planning East + West, 3-team 9's circuit, with men's and women's teams. No answers yet on budgets or salaries, but they would start out as pro-am/semi-pro, with everyone getting paid some. Using "experienced professionals and provincial players, working together".

The cooperative element would mean selling "shares" and "memberships". Voting would be 1 vote per member, but you could own multiple shares if you wanted to invest more money.

42 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

So they're planning East + West, 3-team 9's circuit, with men's and women's teams. No answers yet on budgets or salaries, but they would start out as pro-am/semi-pro, with everyone getting paid some. Using "experienced professionals and provincial players, working together".

The cooperative element would mean selling "shares" and "memberships". Voting would be 1 vote per member, but you could own multiple shares if you wanted to invest more money.

Thanks for this Reaper.  I have not listened to the Podcast yet....maybe this weekend.

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

I was surprised that they said one vote per member, ie if you invest $100 you’ll have the same say as someone invests $10,000. 

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of detail, because as a fan I want to hear about it, but it’s fair enough that they can’t divulge everything yet. I am disappointed that they see it as mainly a 9s comp going forward though, with maybe some proper 13 a side RL tagged on in a few years time. 

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I was surprised that they said one vote per member, ie if you invest $100 you’ll have the same say as someone invests $10,000. 

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of detail, because as a fan I want to hear about it, but it’s fair enough that they can’t divulge everything yet. I am disappointed that they see it as mainly a 9s comp going forward though, with maybe some proper 13 a side RL tagged on in a few years time. 

I think having the same say for everyone regardless of investment is the co-operative aspect of this, in a co-op or mutual everyone is equal. Otherwise your just like a regular business where someone can take control and potentially screw it up, they don't want that.

For larger investors there will be preferential shares though who will get priority on any profits and be higher up any creditor list so incur less risk. I think those preferential shares will be the 40% private equity.

I think they see the 9's as just easier to create, market and sell as an "event", which is part of the culture over there. They said this is a long term project with slow and sustainable growth which must not damage existing clubs or their growth, so a 9s over several weeks avoids that as much as possible. No reason why it wouldn't eventually move to 13s or such a competition start up separately if the 9s comp prospers and grassroots grow as a result.

They do want to tap into the Wolfpack support so the semis and final each year will be in Toronto, that sounds sensible. Also liked the womens getting the same billing as the mens games.

If this gets off the ground next year, if Covid allows, if Ottawa turn up in League 1 and if fixture timings align then I'm certainly very interested in going over and taking both in combined with a nice little Canadian road trip. Lots of if's and plenty of water over Niagra Falls before then obviously.

7 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

My guess

East

Toronto

Ottawa

Montreal

West

Calgary

Vancouver

Victoria

Actually I think that's a very good guess. They'll probably never admit it, but their best bet for their local players is the xisting RU scene, and each of those cities has a big enough player base to have multiple amateur clubs. As well as keeping  (relatively) tight geographical spread for travel. Of the next two most viable places, Edmonton I imagine will contribute a few players to Calgary, both being a lot less rugby-heavy than BC, and Halifax is quite far from Montreal (only slightly farther than Van-Cal, but Calgary is a necessary evil to get to 3 teams).

Is it only me that thinks this whole potential Canadian league is just another well-meaning, optimistic piece of vapourware from some enthusiastic Brits with the ability to send off a few emails and get some peripheral names to say something about it?

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Actually I think that's a very good guess. They'll probably never admit it, but their best bet for their local players is the xisting RU scene, and each of those cities has a big enough player base to have multiple amateur clubs. As well as keeping  (relatively) tight geographical spread for travel. Of the next two most viable places, Edmonton I imagine will contribute a few players to Calgary, both being a lot less rugby-heavy than BC, and Halifax is quite far from Montreal (only slightly farther than Van-Cal, but Calgary is a necessary evil to get to 3 teams).

Getting Rugby Union players to play Rugby League is absolutely what the strategy should be, there is no shame in it and these players have plenty of skills that can they can transfer to our game compared to complete novices.

4 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Is it only me that thinks this whole potential Canadian league is just another well-meaning, optimistic piece of vapourware from some enthusiastic Brits with the ability to send off a few emails and get some peripheral names to say something about it?

No!  There are a few other negative posters on here, when it comes to expansion.

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Getting Rugby Union players to play Rugby League is absolutely what the strategy should be, there is no shame in it and these players have plenty of skills that can they can transfer to our game compared to complete novices.

For that to work in Canada with our climate, an RL body has to be able to offer those players something which will make it worth their while to give up RU because playing at a different time of year isn't an option here and no one could handle playing both at the same time of year for long.  A short tournament over a few weekends (which is all they've talked about so far) doesn't meet that bar.

If instead they look to get gridiron players who also (well, defensive players at least) have plenty of transferable skills they could get around the problem that way.

17 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

My guess

East

Toronto

Ottawa

Montreal

West

Calgary

Vancouver

Victoria

They’ve already said both Alberta and Sasektchuwan (no idea how to spell that) will provide two of the initial clubs. As I recall there was also one from BC, one Quebec and two from Ontario. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

They’ve already said both Alberta and Sasektchuwan (no idea how to spell that) will provide two of the initial clubs. As I recall there was also one from BC, one Quebec and two from Ontario. 

Saskatchewan.

Yes, they plan to have teams in 5 provinces, as that's part of the requirement for the sport to be recognized by the federal government.

7 hours ago, frank said:

No!  There are a few other negative posters on here, when it comes to expansion.

I’m positive about expansion, just not mirages 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

For that to work in Canada with our climate, an RL body has to be able to offer those players something which will make it worth their while to give up RU because playing at a different time of year isn't an option here and no one could handle playing both at the same time of year for long.  A short tournament over a few weekends (which is all they've talked about so far) doesn't meet that bar.

If instead they look to get gridiron players who also (well, defensive players at least) have plenty of transferable skills they could get around the problem that way.

Sorry, why gridiron instead of RU does the CFL season go at a different time than the RU/RL season? i was assuming basically that all outdoor sports would have pretty much had to run to the same times of the year is this a very wrong assumption?

(as a side bar i toured eastern Canada with my schools RU team in 1994 in July. New Foundland, Quebec and Ontario. Brilliant time was had by all, but playing in Montreal was bloody hot, we lay on the ice rink afterwards to cool down! thunderstorms when we were at the expo dome, we were up the tower and one side was purple skies and lashing rain the other side was bright sunshine.. fantastic couple of weeks!).

On 07/03/2021 at 12:43, naldo88 said:

Please, please keep us posted on how you are getting on, start a thread and keep on updating it like the old Toronto Wolfpack one grew with information. It is really interesting to hear and its brilliant news. 

There are quite a few people on here who have set up teams and league in areas of the UK that are very much not heartlands and also in other countries in Europe so there are many people who may be able to give little bits of advice but certainly encouragement when you feel a bit fed up (which you almost certainly will at points).

Its great news and, as Dave Woods says: "all power to your elbows!"

29 minutes ago, RP London said:

Sorry, why gridiron instead of RU does the CFL season go at a different time than the RU/RL season? i was assuming basically that all outdoor sports would have pretty much had to run to the same times of the year is this a very wrong assumption?

(as a side bar i toured eastern Canada with my schools RU team in 1994 in July. New Foundland, Quebec and Ontario. Brilliant time was had by all, but playing in Montreal was bloody hot, we lay on the ice rink afterwards to cool down! thunderstorms when we were at the expo dome, we were up the tower and one side was purple skies and lashing rain the other side was bright sunshine.. fantastic couple of weeks!).

Mainly because gridiron players who don't get a pro offer run out of leagues to play in as they get up into their twenties.  The upper age limit for players in the Canadian Junior Football (sic) League is 22 and above that there's only the CFL, the Alberta Football (sic) League and the Northern Football (sic) Conference in Ontario.  How stable the latter two are I don't know, the NFC has a functioning website but the Alberta league doesn't seem to although it apparently was still operating in 2019.

RU on the other hand has leagues and clubs across the country, so RU players have somewhere to play for as long as they're still interested.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Mainly because gridiron players who don't get a pro offer run out of leagues to play in as they get up into their twenties.  The upper age limit for players in the Canadian Junior Football (sic) League is 22 and above that there's only the CFL, the Alberta Football (sic) League and the Northern Football (sic) Conference in Ontario.  How stable the latter two are I don't know, the NFC has a functioning website but the Alberta league doesn't seem to although it apparently was still operating in 2019.

RU on the other hand has leagues and clubs across the country, so RU players have somewhere to play for as long as they're still interested.

ah i see, yes that makes a lot of sense then.

Archived