Match Official Crisis

14 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I seem to remember that Karl Kirkpatrick declined the opportunity to go full time when the idea was first floated, as he earned more from his day job in financial services. He seemed to be "managed out" of Super League refereeing not long after - presumably the RFL didn't want him undermining the idea that full-time officials wouldn't necessarily make better referees. 

I'd suspect that even if the salary at Super League level is on the low side, the issue is probably further down the chain. Even at amateur level and semi-pro, it's a lot of abuse and a lot of weekends given up for what is, I suspect, mostly beer money-levels of pay. No wonder we don't have a lot of people wanting to start that journey. 

I believe that KK took up refereeing RU for a while. He was excluded from the elite group of referees as he didn't want to give up his well paid career and he didn't want to simply amble along in the lower divisions. It often comes as a surprise to some people, including RFL executives, that match officials also have ambitions within the game; they are not simply objects to be used at whimsically.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, LeeF said:

It was about £30k when the first full timers started and I don’t think it is anywhere near £60k now

There's every chance i've misremembered this.

2 hours ago, silverback said:

Bring back silverwood,he dident take no nonsense,and it would get leeds off to a good start too.

LOL Silverwood is the WORST I've seen referee Leeds. Others have been worse decision makers but there were several seemingly long-running grudges between various members of the great Leeds team and him that seemed to spill over time and again. He certainly was one that team wanted to avoid if possible.

14 hours ago, LeeF said:

Give them some proper leadership might be a good starting point. There was an excellent structure in place under the previous Head of who along with his support staff had decent man management skills which, in my opinion, the current incumbent lacks

Pretty much this. The stories you hear from refs about why they've quit or the issues they're facing never mention pay. I'm not even sure if I've ever seen it hinted at being an issue. But they do all mention lack of support, internal issues with the RFL and other systemic problems that can really only be fixed by a proper organisational shake-up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, M j M said:

There's every chance i've misremembered this.

LOL Silverwood is the WORST I've seen referee Leeds. Others have been worse decision makers but there were several seemingly long-running grudges between various members of the great Leeds team and him that seemed to spill over time and again. He certainly was one that team wanted to avoid if possible.

Silverwood's behaviour on Twitter is very poor. Criticising the current setup and actually being critical of individual referees on there which is poor form. I think like Ganson he has always had an ego and he is loving fuelling that on Twitter by criticising refs which then gets the fans and Ritchie Mathers agreeing with him and massaging that ego.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Silverwood's behaviour on Twitter is very poor. Criticising the current setup and actually being critical of individual referees on there which is poor form. I think like Ganson he has always had an ego and he is loving fuelling that on Twitter by criticising refs which then gets the fans and Ritchie Mathers agreeing with him and massaging that ego.

He also seems to think on twitter sexual assault is a laughing matter.

Some of the refs who have left in the last few seasons have done so with clouds over their heads, Silverwood from the stories that are around lead a charmed life for a long time.  

17 hours ago, Harrogate Fire Ants said:

When i go to games I made a promise starting at the 2019 season which has continued that as a fan if I used any bad language regardless of who it was aimed at I would donate money to the oppositions community foundation charity. That included any displays of disputing any decision made by a referee and only offering positive feedback. Since I have adapted that to going to York games I havent yet donated any money and found that I have actually enjoyed the matchday experience alot more. The sub title I gave it too was although kids might pick up bad language from elsewhere we don't want them to be picking it up from York fans on the terraces. 

Either that, or maybe you are a subconscious tight ###### 😂

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

A similarly profile loving ref Mark Clattenberg is doing the same in football, I would expect Mike Dean to be similar when he retires too. Its a shame really because they are legitimising so much of the abuse.

39 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Getting shot of Ganson would be a huge first step in rectifying the problem.

Evidence?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just now, Harrogate Fire Ants said:

😂👏 Does make you think twice coming from Yorkshire. But in all seriousness a less hostile atmosphere especially towards match officials definitely improves matchday atmosphere and general experience. 

Best games are always one's where the referees have little to do - sadly though that is almost entirely down to the two teams that turn up on the day

16 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Several years ago, I was behind the posts at a Wakefield v Featherstone game, and the Linesman was getting abuse from both sets of spectators as he checked the post protectors were secure. The game hadn't even kicked off!

I can see that that's bound to help when those 50/50 decisions come along later on.👍

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 03/03/2021 at 01:05, Gooleboy said:

Several years ago, I was behind the posts at a Wakefield v Featherstone game, and the Linesman was getting abuse from both sets of spectators as he checked the post protectors were secure. The game hadn't even kicked off!

The game attracts a fairly toxic demographic I have noticed, especially at these small-town Yorkshire grounds. 

There's not a lot we can do about it though, as clubs everywhere are desperate for fans, so banning them is probably not an option. 

8 hours ago, LeeF said:

Look at what has happened since he took over

Ask people who know him about his man management skills or lack of

Is it simply since he took over - nothing else?

I don't know anyone who knows him - do tell.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Is it simply since he took over - nothing else?

I don't know anyone who knows him - do tell.

Could be coincidence but the “churn” of officials and general disgruntlement has definitely increased

Read other posts on here and the various comments by ex officials. There are too many for it to be coincidence and based on my own, albeit limited, interactions with him I am not surprised. 

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

Could be coincidence but the “churn” of officials and general disgruntlement has definitely increased

Read other posts on here and the various comments by ex officials. There are too many for it to be coincidence and based on my own, albeit limited, interactions with him I am not surprised. 

You may well be right, I don't know. However if the person running that bit of the show for many years is causing harm then that is a systemic problem that can't simply be overcome by his or her replacement.

There clearly is a more fundamental issue with pathways and, sadly, attitudes in the amateur game as well.

Archived