Best Uncapped Players Ever

Been meaning to ask this question for a while to see how the discussion goes but I have only just got round to it.

In your opinion who are the greatest rugby league players never to win an international cap?

England Knights, academy internationals and other B teams do not count 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One from Australia. 

Because he played in an era when there was an abundance of talent at stand off, Phil Blake didn't win a Kangaroo cap.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Johnny Wolford, ex Bramley, Bradford, Dewsbury and Hunslet stand off. (He did gain an under 24 cap). He was a brilliant player, similar to Tommy Martyn who has already been mentioned.

Of course there is the great Brian Bevan.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

One from Australia. 

Because he played in an era when there was an abundance of talent at stand off, Phil Blake didn't win a Kangaroo cap.

Phil Blake was the first player I thought of. Wonderful talent.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 hours ago, northamptoncougar said:

Tommy Martyn for England 

Absolutely, unfortunately he did things of the cuff at times,  which must not have suited the Coaches of the day with their obsession of playing Loose Forwards at Stand Off, for me, to the detriment of the International team.

Going back in history there'd be a fair few Aussies (particularly Queenslanders) who had magnificent careers in England but never got selected for the national team, just like Brian Bevan. Eric Harris, Frank O'Rourke and Dinny Campbell at Leeds would all fall into that category - all signed before their careers in Australia had really got going.

Tuigamala. Although he played for Samoa in the 95 World Cup. He should have been selected for the Kiwi's who i think at the time were starting to have a bit more of an NRL-centric view of player selection. And was very unlucky not to get given a crack.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Did Paul Cooke play for England? Wiki says 3 appearances but I don't remember that. 

England, but second tier to Great Britain at the time so not a full cap.

Cooke was someone I thought about.

Danny Houghton, former Man of Steel, is another that should have had a shot.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Martyn Wood of Keighley and Sheffield is a good shout for me. Talented old fashioned loose forward in an era when we were deep in talent in that position so was worth a cap bit can understand why he didn’t get any.

Did Martyn Wood not get a game for England? I'm sure I remember him playing at least one game back in the day. Maybe it was even 7's or9's?

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Pat Richards.

Edit: I know he had a few games for Ireland, (like Tommy Martyn) but given that he qualified for Australia and England and didn't get capped by either top tier country, I think he is worth a mention. 

Ireland, if we are honest, is a bit like playing for England knights. (Or it was at that time, as it was mostly English players who weren't good enough for England).

I thought he was a really good, very effective player.

8 hours ago, Bring back the Boyd said:

Phil Mackenzie is a good shout

Mark Preston

Mark Roberts— don’t think I’ve seen a faster 2nd row forward 

Gary Sanderson 

Lee Briers and Tommy Martyn should have featured for GB

Phil Blake

Denny Solomona 

Jon Roper

For a few years Mackenzie IMHO was the best hooker in the league.  But I remember reading a comment by Phil Larder who was the GB coach at the time stating that he would never pick someone born in Australia to play for GB.

9 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

England, but second tier to Great Britain at the time so not a full cap.

Cooke was someone I thought about.

Danny Houghton, former Man of Steel, is another that should have had a shot.

Houghton has been unlucky to have a lot of very good hookers around at the same time. Still think he is better than Hodgson though!

Archived