Best Uncapped Players Ever

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Houghton has been unlucky to have a lot of very good hookers around at the same time. Still think he is better than Hodgson though!

nah, i doubt most coaches tip sheets have an awful lot of details stopping houghton in attack.

He's not someone i've ever thought when playing warrington he's ripping us apart.  Similar with morgan smithies now, tackle machine, but not much going forward.

Just now, Barry Badrinath said:

nah, i doubt most coaches tip sheets have an awful lot of details stopping houghton in attack.

He's not someone i've ever thought when playing warrington he's ripping us apart.  Similar with morgan smithies now, tackle machine, but not much going forward.

I think the point is that in another era with less high quality competition he'd have probably got more opportunities. 

He's had Roby in front of him consistently alongside an occasional inclusion of McIlorum at the start of the last decade then Daryl Clark and just as he's coming to the fore Hodgson goes to the NRL and goes from decent Super League player to automatic England pick. Likewise McShane then emerges at Cas under Powell as the most talked about hooker and even now Houghton is probably behind the likes of Leeming and Dwyer at Leeds looking at an England call up.

He's been very Roby-esque (though I agree less attack minded) and, for want of a better term, has flown under the radar really - in fact he epitomises the "sleeping giant" that is Hull FC. He's a good player playing in a side that is good but not spectacular - meaning he neither gets the benefit of being in a top side (and therefore more likely to be selected) or being a shining light in a less fancied side.

Should clarify that Lee Briers did play for GB once - in 2001 versus France in a full Test match, partnered Paul Deacon, in a strong team that won 42 v 12.

I'm also not sure we should count players like that who played for Wales 20 times, with many of them full on Test matches and World Cup games. 

He was an excellent player who had a good international career.

17 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Houghton is brilliant at what he does and better than most at what he does do best, if he had the electric pace (That you obviously think is the everything for a hooker) he would be up their with the best in the world.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

11 hours ago, Bring back the Boyd said:

Phil Mackenzie is a good shout

Mark Preston

Mark Roberts— don’t think I’ve seen a faster 2nd row forward 

Gary Sanderson 

Lee Briers and Tommy Martyn should have featured for GB

Phil Blake

Denny Solomona 

Jon Roper

Don’t think I’ve seen a faster 2nd row forward Phil Lowe

22 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Did Martyn Wood not get a game for England? I'm sure I remember him playing at least one game back in the day. Maybe it was even 7's or9's?

Not mentioned on his Wikipedia page though I accept it’s not entirely reliable as a source.

9 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Whitehaven centre David Seeds had everything needed to be an international but work commitments kept him part time in the Championship.

Whitehaven had a cracking team in that era with plenty who could have made it in super league but I suppose the stability of combining top end championship with good steady jobs at Sellafield Nuclear Plant made it a tough decision for people to take the risk on going full time with rugby.

On 03/03/2021 at 23:35, Wellsy4HullFC said:

England, but second tier to Great Britain at the time so not a full cap.

Cooke was someone I thought about.

Danny Houghton, former Man of Steel, is another that should have had a shot.

Cooke had all the talent in the world but never fulfilled it in my opinion.

On Houghton, unfortunately for him he had some pretty tough competition. As good as player as he was I never thought of him as good as Roby or Clark.

14 hours ago, TheYoungBaron said:

Errrr, give yer head a shek....beats up a 7 stone lass working the taxis in cas....send him back to Donny....All mouth no action 

Heard about the taxi rank incident but not the in's and out's, but I've also heard about the day he walked into the Fryston Hotel and when he flattened Kelvin, not once but twice, I was witness to when he levelled Nikau near the Roundel.  

15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Well he doesn't strike me as the most inventive attacking dummy half, that said Hull don't strike me as the most inventive attacking team

Apart from dummy half running how many 9's are inventive these days ?

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Apart from dummy half running how many 9's are inventive these days ?

I think that is a bit harsh tbh mate, Mcshane strikes me as the obvious example of a 9 come 6 and the kicking games of hookers like Roby are great additions to their teams. Some clubs also play with 2 9s on the pitch at certain points in games too.

On 04/03/2021 at 12:51, Davo5 said:

Whitehaven centre David Seeds had everything needed to be an international but work commitments kept him part time in the Championship.

David Seeds was a real class act, who was clearly capable of playing at a higher level.

Scoring well over 200 tries as a centre in some good, average and on occasions poor Whitehaven sides is only a small reflection of the talent he had. 

Archived