Best Uncapped Players Ever

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that is a bit harsh tbh mate, Mcshane strikes me as the obvious example of a 9 come 6 and the kicking games of hookers like Roby are great additions to their teams. Some clubs also play with 2 9s on the pitch at certain points in games too.

Yup, go back a few years, monaghan at warrington wasn't blessed with pace but was probably more important in attack than our half backs, directing play,  running and committing defenders.

As I say, whenever we've played warrington I've never had a discussion with anyone saying 'we need to stop Houghton from taking control of the game today'.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moominman said:

David Seeds was a real class act, who was clearly capable of playing at a higher level.

Scoring well over 200 tries as a centre in some good, average and on occasions poor Whitehaven sides is only a small reflection of the talent he had. 

A reflection of that talent is how many tries the wingers outside him scored too

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

9 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

A reflection of that talent is how many tries the wingers outside him scored too

If you went back to day, first 10 years of SL, there was always a good back of players in the Nfp/championship that league express used to report were doing fantastic.

Players like molloy and pearson who eventually got sl gigs, but there were others like seeds,  the winger at haven who's name escapes me. And was it fatialofa at haven as well?a

7 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

If you went back to day, first 10 years of SL, there was always a good back of players in the Nfp/championship that league express used to report were doing fantastic.

Players like molloy and pearson who eventually got sl gigs, but there were others like seeds,  the winger at haven who's name escapes me. And was it fatialofa at haven as well?a

The winger you are probably thinking of a Whitehaven is Craig Calvert, who eventually over took David Seeds' try scoring record for Whitehaven, early on in his career there was talk of him going to Bradford I think, but not sure what happened.

The player from that era who, in addition to Seeds, was definitely a SL standard player was Aaron Lester

100% League 0% Union

4 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Molloy and Pearson were established top Division players, they only ended up playing a season in the Division below SL because their Club at the time Featherstone, were kicked out.

58 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Jon Clarke. Believe he got an🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿cap however it may have been a🇬🇧cap❓

I mentioned Lee Briers earlier in the thread and had forgotten that he did play for 🇬🇧v🇫🇷in 2001. Having attended the game I have no excuse 😅

Think Jon Clarke played against New Zealand in 2007 for GB. 

On 05/03/2021 at 13:34, Marauder said:

Heard about the taxi rank incident but not the in's and out's, but I've also heard about the day he walked into the Fryston Hotel and when he flattened Kelvin, not once but twice, I was witness to when he levelled Nikau near the Roundel.  

Was he a bit handy 

15 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Les Quirk?

I was going to mention Les, also from the Barrow team of the 80’s full back Steve Tickle and loose forward Derek Hadley were regularly touted as the best uncapped players in their positions 

8 hours ago, RL Tragic said:

Was he a bit handy 

From what I can gather and I can't say I ever saw him overhauled but there again I wouldn't have called him a dirty player either.

8 hours ago, RL Tragic said:

Was he a bit handy 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Andy Kelly during his HKR days

He was the top try scoring forward for about 4 or 5 years in a team that won just about everything for a long period. 6’4” and 17st + and ran lines at speed before it was a thing. This was an era when we lacked size and athleticism against the Aussies, he would have been a real handful for the Kangaroos. For some reason players like Mick Worral & Wayne Procter we’re selected before him which was just bizarre.

On 06/03/2021 at 08:36, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

The winger you are probably thinking of a Whitehaven is Craig Calvert, who eventually over took David Seeds' try scoring record for Whitehaven, early on in his career there was talk of him going to Bradford I think, but not sure what happened.

The player from that era who, in addition to Seeds, was definitely a SL standard player was Aaron Lester

Didn’t most of those coming through in that era play for the amateur club Wath Brow Hornets that caught the eye going a long way in the Challenge Cup one year.

Graeme Mattinson at 9 was another well regarded Wath Brow product.

19 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

Didn’t most of those coming through in that era play for the amateur club Wath Brow Hornets that caught the eye going a long way in the Challenge Cup one year.

Graeme Mattinson at 9 was another well regarded Wath Brow product.

That era, in the mid 2000's they did have quite a few from Wath Brow, as well as Calvert and Mattinson, Carl Rudd, Wes Wilson and Marc Jackson came from The Brow - I think I may have missed someone too.

100% League 0% Union

23 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

That era, in the mid 2000's they did have quite a few from Wath Brow, as well as Calvert and Mattinson, Carl Rudd, Wes Wilson and Marc Jackson came from The Brow - I think I may have missed someone too.

Eilbeck,Deans,Teare and the best of them all Phil Sherwin who turned down Leeds and a few other Superleague clubs to stay on the family farm,unfortunately a serious shoulder injury ended his career.

45 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Eilbeck,Deans,Teare and the best of them all Phil Sherwin who turned down Leeds and a few other Superleague clubs to stay on the family farm,unfortunately a serious shoulder injury ended his career.

I did think of Phil Sherwin but realised he had finished by then, I agree he was probably the best of them and certainly SL standard - I actually saw him the other day and he looks as though he should still be playing. Paul Cullen used to tell a tale about how he used to insist on players doing weights sessions on particular days - they could do them at whatever time they wanted but they had to be done, Sherwin and t00he and the Purdhams would turn up  at about 9:00 pm after working all day on their farms - he said he knew he never had to check if they were doing the training.

The ones I should have remembered were Derry Eilbeck and Scott Teare, totally forgot about Deans.

100% League 0% Union

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Mark Deans started at Wigton RL, before moving onto Wath Brow, who were operating at a much higher amateur standard.

Sadly, he picked up a serious injury very early in his Whitehaven career, I believe in a game v. Barley at the Recre.

As others have already intimated, Phil Sherwin amongst the forwards was probably the best of the lot, but again a serious shoulder injury finished his career.

John Newlove (Paul Newlove's Dad), stand off in the great Featherstone side of the mid-1970's. Keith Bell and John Gilbert too.

On 04/03/2021 at 21:44, Marauder said:

Apart from pace what does he lack ? 

Tackle busting ability (like Roby & Clarke have),

The threat close to the line that keeps the defence guessing whether he will try to force his way over or pass (this was probably Cunningham's strongest asset, you just couldn't switch off on your own line as he had the strength to just force his way over),

A kicking game (like McShane)

Houghton is a very good defensive hooker but he lacked many of the other qualities a modern day hooker needs now, and thats probably why he never got an international call-up

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived