Big blow for Leeds and Jack Walker

It will be a tough one to come back from for Walker. He seems to have had a lot of injuries early in his career, and a whole season when he should be hitting his prime is awful.

I don't rate him as highly as some but I hope he comes back.

Lui's injury could be a blessing in disguise as its likely to force Agar to give McLelland a proper run.

24 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Surely Leeds should be looking for cap relief! Losing one key position player this late would've made it hard but 2?! 

An injury to Gale or Myler (which is very realistic) would leave Leeds very weak. 

Tbf with Walker being out all season and injuries to Lui and Newman (though he is returning) it shouldn't be out of the question. I think the squad currently is strong enough to cope with those losses but as you say with another injury to say Gale (who iirc is set to miss most of preseason) then it starts to become a real emergency issue.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf with Walker being out all season and injuries to Lui and Newman (though he is returning) it shouldn't be out of the question. I think the squad currently is strong enough to cope with those losses but as you say with another injury to say Gale (who iirc is set to miss most of preseason) then it starts to become a real emergency issue.

Yeah I mean they'll be strong enough to 'get by' but very unlikely to seriously challenge, without bringing in at least 1 decent player. It will be a shame if this turns into another 'burn' season for Leeds. 

46 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah I mean they'll be strong enough to 'get by' but very unlikely to seriously challenge, without bringing in at least 1 decent player. It will be a shame if this turns into another 'burn' season for Leeds. 

I think with Gale, McLelland and Myler, along with Lui returning asap, Leeds will be fine in the spine along with the 2 quality hookers in Leeming and Dwyer as well as Hallas in reserve. As you say though injuries will be an issue if any more go down especially as Tetevano is a 13 come prop rather than 13 come standoff (not a bad thing).

I think my only concern with Leeds is form and keeping that as consistently high as it was prior to the shutdown last year.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Surely Leeds should be looking for cap relief! Losing one key position player this late would've made it hard but 2?! 

An injury to Gale or Myler (which is very realistic) would leave Leeds very weak. 

Good point on cap relief - it definitely applies to injuries picked up before they've been able to play a game and will be out for the year. Although I'm not sure if the pay reductions, which are still ongoing to some degree, make the cap irrelevant at the moment. If we do think we need someone, is there anyone out there?

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

Good point on cap relief - it definitely applies to injuries picked up before they've been able to play a game and will be out for the year. Although I'm not sure if the pay reductions, which are still ongoing to some degree, make the cap irrelevant at the moment. If we do think we need someone, is there anyone out there?

Championship? Haven't Fev recruited well?

16 minutes ago, M j M said:

I think that's the bigger challenge - they can clearly get some kind of cap relief - but it's where the bodies are coming from. I think Warrington did get cap relief a year or two ago and kept it banked in case anybody came available during the season - can't remember the circumstances, but I'd expect Leeds to do the same.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

It could be a slow start for Leeds now, this will be hugely disruptive.

One half out for a dozen games and will fairly come back slightly rusty.

One half out for the entire pre season and will likely miss the start of the season.

Fullback out for the entire season.

Centre returning from horror injury, will not make the start of the season and has had no preseason.

If Hurrell gets inured that is the full set!

It will be interesting to see what Agar does, Myler is a total liability in defence but I suspect he will now be the first choice fullback rather than Sutcliffe.

The only silver lining is starting McLelland at 6 might be the making of him, he is a natural standoff but it is sink or swim for him you would think. If he does get a genuine uninterrupted three months in the team he will either retain the shirt when Lui is back or he will drop back into the reserves and probably never make the grade at Leeds.

I really like Lui as he is as consistent a player as we have but he is only moderate. McLelland will not need to be better than Danny McGuire to keep the shirt which at 21 going 22 you would think now is his chance.

Frustrating really as the forwards have some depth this year which has not been the case for several years now.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I think that's the bigger challenge - they can clearly get some kind of cap relief - but it's where the bodies are coming from. 

Well that question got answered quickly!

Archived