WC Tickets

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Likewise - same email.

My response was that having already bought a couple that I wouldn't be being any more until much later in the year no matter what the offer now.

Haven't bought any myself but I'm hopeful going forwards

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Summer World Cup does make absolute sense, particularly in Europe and particularly if the tournemant is delayed till 2022 given the clash with the Football world cup. The benefits for club sides like Newcastle, Sheffield and Coventry would be much easier to realise too given they'd be waiting perhaps 3 or 4 weeks between their world cup games and the club season restarting, not 3 or 4 months.

However it would require a shift in attitude we have literally no reason to expect is either likely or indeed possible to change the seasons for the pro clubs. In the purported "most important year for English RL", Super League haven't left a free weekend for a single England test match this summer and are playing the grand final a couple of weeks before the tournament is due to kick off. That's before we get onto the NRL needing to drastically change its opinion on internationals it doesn't control - anyone remember Denver? Unlike the football world cup there isn't that same authority for the RLWC to totally change the global calendar of the sport and it would take some really incredible work to get a Summer World cup put through.

So undoubtedly Summer makes absolute sense from a tournament perspective, whether that translates into reality who knows

24 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I agree. I remember a fanzone at the Olympic Stadium that was effectively a few stands in a car park. It absolutely belted it down, there was no cover in the fanzone and it was poorly attended. Awful planning for a game in November in England anyway and we retreated and found a pub and spent money there instead. I dare say others did too. Compare that to Wembley or even Magic Weekend and I’ve stood in fanzones/outside bars etc with fans of other clubs and chatted with them. 

I enjoy the first couple of months of the regular season less, too. Largely due to the weather. Once it warms up a bit after Easter, I tend to enjoy the matchday experience more and I’m more willing to get into a ground early and watch the Academy game than I am in February, for example. 

That Fanzone at the Olympic stadium was one of my worst RL experiences ever. The Rugby AM guys just bellowing to each other across a car park trying to be the most Northern they could - it was like the Phoenix Nights gala day thing, but a bit worse.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

A Summer World Cup does make absolute sense, particularly in Europe and particularly if the tournemant is delayed till 2022 given the clash with the Football world cup. The benefits for club sides like Newcastle, Sheffield and Coventry would be much easier to realise too given they'd be waiting perhaps 3 or 4 weeks between their world cup games and the club season restarting, not 3 or 4 months.

However it would require a shift in attitude we have literally no reason to expect is either likely or indeed possible to change the seasons for the pro clubs. In the purported "most important year for English RL", Super League haven't left a free weekend for a single England test match this summer and are playing the grand final a couple of weeks before the tournament is due to kick off. That's before we get onto the NRL needing to drastically change its opinion on internationals it doesn't control - anyone remember Denver? Unlike the football world cup there isn't that same authority for the RLWC to totally change the global calendar of the sport and it would take some really incredible work to get a Summer World cup put through.

So undoubtedly Summer makes absolute sense from a tournament perspective, whether that translates into reality who knows

I've no doubts that this is 99% unlikely to happen - but this is ultimately the difference between us and sports like Union - they may battle, but they will ultimately make some of these sacrifices.

For me, this is a big opportunity that may be forced upon us. 

The best we can probably expect is an October 22 World Cup to try and squeeze in before the football as much as possible.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That Fanzone at the Olympic stadium was one of my worst RL experiences ever. The Rugby AM guys just bellowing to each other across a car park trying to be the most Northern they could - it was like the Phoenix Nights gala day thing, but a bit worse.

It was so bad that we left it to go and spend far too much money at some soulless load of nonsense in Westfield.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've no doubts that this is 99% unlikely to happen - but this is ultimately the difference between us and sports like Union - they may battle, but they will ultimately make some of these sacrifices.

For me, this is a big opportunity that may be forced upon us. 

The best we can probably expect is an October 22 World Cup to try and squeeze in before the football as much as possible.

Union is a bit of an unfair comparison given the dominance of their international game controlling all but maybe the English and French leagues.

I think 2021 is still very likely to be fair, its still a very long way away and in any case we are expecting crowds this summer and into the start of the new football season. International crowds might be a difficulty but not a major factor imo.

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

For me it’s common sense that buying prime time tv adverts and then taking tickets off sale is a bad move 

Given the country then went back into a national lockdown around the same time, it was a move that made sense then and does still now. 

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

To be fair the european club football competitions have been going on throughout the lockdown, it can be easily done. And I doubt even if there hadn’t been a pandemic that there would have been many fans coming from abroad anyway. 

Yeah but our game isn't as wealthy as soccer.

Personally, I think it's too early to make a decision but I wouldn't wait longer than June.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

7 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

IMHO (For what its worth) the RLWC has to move to June/July 2021 and the NRL have to take it on the chin:)

Jeez - I'm not sure the arrangements could be made to play it in four months' time.

Organising a World Cup is a Big Job.

10 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yeah but our game isn't as wealthy as soccer.

Personally, I think it's too early to make a decision but I wouldn't wait longer than June.

It’s got nothing to do with wealth, you can’t tell me that the Northern Irish and Welsh clubs who played in Europe have more money than the RLWC. 

Agree it’s too early to make a decision though, especially if the decision is no. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s got nothing to do with wealth, you can’t tell me that the Northern Irish and Welsh clubs who played in Europe have more money than the RLWC. 

Wouldn't surprise me.

They'll get a wedge from UEFA.

The Commonwealth Games is being held in Birmingham during July & August 2022 so it is either Autumn 2021 or Autumn 2022 for the RLWC with the former looking much more likely at the moment. 

The TV advertising did its job with the initial allocation of tickets being nearly sold out by all accounts with the next batch(es) being dependant upon what percentage of a ground’s capacity can be used.

So far the RLWC team have done a first rate job organising the tournament so I am sure that any decision made will be made at the right time and will be the correct one 

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agree it’s too early to make a decision though, especially if the decision is no. 

It has to do with wealth. The Northern Irish champions, Linfield, made over €1m from their European campaigns, so yes, many of the teams will have more money than the RLWC. 

26 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It has to do with wealth. The Northern Irish champions, Linfield, made over €1m from their European campaigns, so yes, many of the teams will have more money than the RLWC. 

What if they got knocked out in their preliminary round, and having €1m doesn’t mean you have €1m to spend on covid. Linfield are part time, they don’t even have as much money as Salford. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What if they got knocked out in their preliminary round, and having €1m doesn’t mean you have €1m to spend on covid. Linfield are part time, they don’t even have as much money as Salford. 

You pick up €220,000 for losing the Preliminary, so more than enough to cover costs relating to a round of Covid testing. 

Linfield are moving full time and who knows what’s in their bank account and how much is in Salford’s. For competing in Europe, which Linfield do most years, the minimum they take home is a couple of hundred thousand euros. Salford made £50,000 for getting beat by St Helens in the 2019 Grand Final. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Don’t you understand that more income doesn’t mean more spare money if your expenditure is higher? Also you keep quoting Linfield, who were in the Champions League, had their best European season in years and won in three rounds rounds. How much did teams who got knocked out in the preliminary round of the Europa League make? 

Edit - don’t bother answering that, I’m not going to waste my Thursday night pointlessly arguing with the most argumentative person on the forum. 

34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Don’t you understand that more income doesn’t mean more spare money if your expenditure is higher? Also you keep quoting Linfield, who were in the Champions League, had their best European season in years and won in three rounds rounds. How much did teams who got knocked out in the preliminary round of the Europa League make? 

Edit - don’t bother answering that, I’m not going to waste my Thursday night pointlessly arguing with the most argumentative person on the forum. 

Teams who went out of the Preliminary Round of the Europa League received €220,000 for the honour. That was €1,760,000 to the eight sides who lost in the Preliminary Round last summer. 

I will leave it up to you to decide whether the Rugby League World Cup has that sort of money. 

You’re not good at this forum’ing, are you? You take great offence to differing views. 

I think from an English perspective we’ll be fine to host the tournament this year - I think the big unknown is how the RLPA downunder will act, you wouldn’t put it past them to boycott.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

12 hours ago, Dave T said:

Someone at the RFL obviously thinks that's what us fans want. 

5 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Someone at the RFL obviously thinks that's what us fans want. 

It's a real shame what they have now done with things like fanzines and the package round events. A few years back we used to make real effort, now they are rubbish. 

17 hours ago, Dave T said:

When Northerners wince at that God knows what people from the rest of the country think. I know some people liked Rugby AM but for me it was unwatchable.

Archived