Live Rugby League this Weekend

On 22/08/2021 at 17:45, nadera78 said:

Game got a little sloppy late on, as both teams tired.

I liked the Welsh FB (brave, good kick returns, safe under high ball) and left centre (strong, good runner, good hands, tackled well) and some others with ability too. I always feel that way about the Welsh age group teams, raw but there's a lot there for us to work with. We need to find better ways to filter them into SL clubs.

Full Back was Billy Walkley - highly thought of down here but have severe competition from Dragons RU for his future. Plays 6/7 for his club and runs the show.

Left centre was Harri Ackerman, who has always come across more physically ready than most. I think he’ll be a shoe in for the U20s Euros next year and will hopefully catch the eye. I though his second row Finn Thomas did well as well.

For me… Lewis Pinder (#7 and with Wigan) and the #9 Fin Yates were excellent as well.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just realised Harri Ackerman is also with the Dragons RU set up.

The imperative for Wales RL is getting a team in the Super League academy league. These kids are talented but not quite ready for League One action but there simply isn’t enough currently to stave off interest from union. 

Jordan Howells is a prime example. Wales RL U16s, U19s and then signed for the Blues U20s (I think) and is now back playing semi-pro union. A lost opportunity for RL (which he was so much more suited to) because of that void between a 16s and open age. 

The Women's SL playoffs are streamed on Sunday. With the weaker sides out, we should see some tough contests among the remainder.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The Women's SL playoffs are streamed on Sunday. With the weaker sides out, we should see some tough contests among the remainder.

These "play offs" aren`t play offs in the usual sense. The 10 team WSL has been split into two groups of 5 in a round robin format. Not sure what will happen as regards a GF.

On Sunday at Ealing it`s the Southern GF, Cardiff v Army. Livestreamed on Twitch and Our League. The Demons` Facebook page says 12 o`clock, an article on the RFL site says the programme will begin at 12:15. The game doesn`t appear to be listed in Match Centre. I`ll have a guess the game is a 12:30 kick-off, since it`s part of a double-header with the Broncos kicking off at 3.

23 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

On Sunday at Ealing it`s the Southern GF, Cardiff v Army. Livestreamed on Twitch and Our League. The Demons` Facebook page says 12 o`clock, an article on the RFL site says the programme will begin at 12:15. The game doesn`t appear to be listed in Match Centre. I`ll have a guess the game is a 12:30 kick-off, since it`s part of a double-header with the Broncos kicking off at 3.

12:15 kick-off. 

Half-time Army 16 Cardiff 12. Really good game, could go either way.

The Demons are exciting to watch when they click. They`ve had a strong wind against them in the first half, which doesn`t help their style of play.

Brutal gang-tackling from the Army in the final minutes, but the Cardiff pressure has told. They take the win, right at the death.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Other clubs may win more title, or win by more, but to be the first is something Cardiff can claim for ever more. The second match today will have to be good to match this one.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Yes! 

On a pedantic note, the ref`s 6-again and offside calls had too much of a 50/50 element, which in my view is not consistent with the benefit of the doubt principle. However, they evened out, and overall he had a pretty good game.

On an entirely joyful note, it`s always satisfying in RL when the more ambitious and expansive team get the win. As I said up the page, the Demons are as good to watch with ball in hand as any team in the Northern WSL. Their coach, who I think is a Welshman, deserves great credit for the way they play.

York v Leeda about to start on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/rugbyleague

Leeds may be favourites on form, but injuries and a couple of COVID pings have left them with 16 players for this afternoon's game.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Two nice offloads and York are the first to score. No conversion, so 4 nil.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sophie Nuttall with her first try of the season, chasing a grubber that initially looked too strong. If you're going to break your duck, the pointy end of the season is a very good time!

No conversion, so it is York 4:4 Leeds

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Leeds have applied much more of the pressure, and York may tire first with all the tackling they've done.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Still 4-4. Leeds still look like the better side, but they have a disadvantage in numbers on the bench. As the match progresses, which factor will prevail?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A strong start to the second half from York, but Leeds suddenly push upfield from a twisting, darting break by Fran Goldthorp and Louise Hayward scores for the visitors a few moments later. Again, no conversion.

York 4:8 Leeds

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now Goldthorp, one of the game's best evasive runners, scores herself almost immediately after the restart. Winfield-Hill converts for 4:14.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A nasty head clash, as a York attacker's forehead cracks a York player right on the chin. The rest of the players probably appreciate the breather, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another head collision, and York's Georgia Hetherington looks like she's out cold, after trying to stop Beevers' break.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The medics are still attending to Hetherington, so this has been a long break in play. Fingers crossed she's alright.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Play about to restart after a 25 minute break. Hetherington was conscious when she finally left the field on a stretcher.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived