Live Rugby League this Weekend

York are blowing chances with handling errors. Too late for them to win this now.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Courtney Winfield-Hill gets WotM, but it's been a team performance overall.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

York 4:14 Leeds at the hooter. Good tough game.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The medics are still attending to Hetherington, so this has been a long break in play. Fingers crossed she's alright.

I always hope when a player gets up a head of steam down the touchline that they only swerve back in field if there`s a clear line inside the fullback. Otherwise we get these big front-on collisions.

As you say, let`s hope Georgie`s okay. I think she recently started playing again after having a baby.

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Courtney Winfield-Hill gets WotM, but it's been a team performance overall.

In RL we might as well give player of the match to one of the half-backs before the game kicks off.  

There`s no point in these vacuous accolades whilst we have pundits incapable of making more sophisticated pound-for-pound judgements. Usually the only alternative is if a winger scores 3 or 4 tries. It`s a simple game.

It`s Wigan v York today in WSL kicking off at 3.

Allegedly it`s live on Twitch and Our League. As usual, searching through the RFL site, you`d only know it was on if you already knew it was on.

Where`s Futtocks?

Leeds v Saints has been cancelled. Injury and Covid related. Real pity, although they`re favourites to meet in the GF, assuming there is one.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Allegedly it`s live on Twitch and Our League. As usual, searching through the RFL site, you`d only know it was on if you already knew it was on.

Where`s Futtocks?

Leeds v Saints has been cancelled. Injury and Covid related. Real pity, although they`re favourites to meet in the GF, assuming there is one.

It has just started, in time to clash with the Wigan men's team game at Magic. 🙄

https://www.twitch.tv/rugbyleague 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Half-time Wigan 6 York 12.

If Saint 1 is interested, there was an example inside the first few minutes of how some officials seem unaware that they should immediately call Held when a teammate lends weight to a ball-carrier being shoved over the touchline.

Shortly after we had a call for "an incorrect PTB". - What a joke!

The narrow pitch at Robin Park never helps. Despite that, both sides are playing some good stuff.

Is there nowhere better that Wigan could play their games? Or any way of widening the pitch? Padded mats all the way round, for instance.

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Half-time Wigan 6 York 12.

Full-time Wigan 6 York 20.

Savannah Andrade scored the best try of the game. York have a clip on their Facebook page of her scoring a try for Jamaica 7s with an American commentator saying, "Andrade - from the York City Knights in Manchester".

Back to the ref and the PTB. His general management of the tackle and ruck was spot-on. As it is with virtually all current officials. There remains though the thorny matter of just what are the players required to do at the PTB? Clearly not what the rulebook sets out. The only hint we have is "balance and control". But how is that judged if it doesn`t involve playing the ball with the foot?

The rule seems to be that you can wilfully break the rules as long you do so with unspecified "balance and control".

In last week`s Southern final, I saw the Cardiff captain having a conversation with the ref prior to a restart during which he made a PTB motion with his foot. Heaven knows what he must have been saying. And heaven knows what she must have made of it.

20 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

although they`re favourites to meet in the GF, assuming there is one.

I must admit I've been struggling a bit (my own fault) to follow the Women's Super League games this year.

Is there a danger of no grand final?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I must admit I've been struggling a bit (my own fault) to follow the Women's Super League games this year.

Is there a danger of no grand final?

I mentioned on the previous page that the 10 teams in WSL were split into two groups of 5 playing a round-robin format. The RFL are confusing people labelling the current games as "play-offs".

Something similar was intended for mid-season in 2020. If memory serves, the split then would have been 4/6.

I hadn`t been able to find out what the plan was regarding a GF, but towards the end of yesterday`s game the commentator said that semi-finals and GF would be live on Sky. So presumably at the conclusion of these mini-leagues it will be 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd for places in the GF.

Anyone would struggle to follow WSL via the governing body`s website.

The bloke who ran Cas women`s social media appears to have been part of the exodus to York. Possibly remains involved with Cas too, not sure. Thanks to him, the Knights` social media is now excellent and the best means of keeping up to date with WSL.

Something a little different today, if you fancy it. Clicking on the first YT link says it starts at 2:30pm UK time too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Also, Women's Super League Play Offs from 2:45pm: Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors.

You have a choice between OurLeague and Twitch.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Also, Women's Super League Play Offs from 2:45pm: Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors.

You have a choice between OurLeague and Twitch.

Steve Manning and Kyle Amor on commentary duties. Conditions overcast but dry. Wigan will do well to win against a Leeds side that have only lost once this season. to WSL2021 form team St Helens.

https://www.twitch.tv/rugbyleague 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Leeds 20:6 Wigan at HT. It looked like it would be a much bigger margin at times in that half, so Wigan have fought hard and well to defend their line. Fatigue may see it turn into a blowout later, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Leeds 20:6 Wigan at HT. It looked like it would be a much bigger margin at times in that half, so Wigan have fought hard and well to defend their line. Fatigue may see it turn into a blowout later, though.

Wigan are limited with the ball. They miss Rachel Thompson. As you say, they`re sticking at it admirably.

They`re not as limited as the commentator. Gets more wrong than right, and like anyone randomly yanked from an English RL crowd sees a lot of phantom forward passes.

What has happened to zero tackle? Ever since the introduction of options for lateral turnovers the refs don`t want to play on when a team loses the ball and their opponents regather. Everything has to stop, and off we troop to the middle for tackle 1.

It is a brave effort for Wigan, but I can only see Leeds keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

In other news, it seems like the live streams from Ghana aren't happening. Hopefully, it is the streaming that's the problem, and they can upload the video for catch-up viewing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Final Score Leeds 28:10 Wigan. Less of a margin than I feared, but the best team won anyway.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

The game was better than the commentary.

Hopefully that`s the last we hear of that commentator. The Aussie bloke last week was pretty good.

The other WSL game has finished Cas 6 Saints 50. 

Worth mentioning how many players are currently playing WSL who came through the Whitley Bay Barbarians system. Can`t remember all the names. There are three at Leeds -  Orla McCallion, Sam Hulme and one other. And I think there are others at Huddersfield and Wakefield.

1 minute ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Hopefully that`s the last we hear of that commentator. The Aussie bloke last week was pretty good.

The other WSL game has finished Cas 6 Saints 50. 

Worth mentioning how many players are currently playing WSL who came through the Whitley Bay Barbarians system. Can`t remember all the names. There are three at Leeds -  Orla McCallion, Sam Hulme and one other. And I think there are others at Huddersfield and Wakefield.

Should have got a shout out like Orrell did. 🤣

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

In other news, it seems like the live streams from Ghana aren't happening. Hopefully, it is the streaming that's the problem, and they can upload the video for catch-up viewing.

The Ghana livestreams are up on YouTube. 

Had a quick look at both games. Very much a work in progress. The women`s game especially is the antithesis of complete your sets/get to your kick/build pressure.

A novel quirk in the men`s game. - I`ve got used to seeing a penalty kick to touch being followed by a staged pass from the touchline, but I`ve not previously seen a player stand on the line, tap the ball, then pass it in-field to a teammate who taps it again.

I`m convinced the uncertainty over the rules that always seems to afflict nascent RL nations stems from the conviction that RL is a simple game. Why prioritize teaching the rulebook to players, coaches and officials when the established culture of RL assures you that "run hard, tackle hard" is all you need to know?

In other news, Scarborough Pirates fielded a women`s team for the first time on Sunday. Didn`t know the club was still around.

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The Ghana livestreams are up on YouTube. 

Had a quick look at both games. Very much a work in progress. The women`s game especially is the antithesis of complete your sets/get to your kick/build pressure.

A novel quirk in the men`s game. - I`ve got used to seeing a penalty kick to touch being followed by a staged pass from the touchline, but I`ve not previously seen a player stand on the line, tap the ball, then pass it in-field to a teammate who taps it again.

I`m convinced the uncertainty over the rules that always seems to afflict nascent RL nations stems from the conviction that RL is a simple game. Why prioritize teaching the rulebook to players, coaches and officials when the established culture of RL assures you that "run hard, tackle hard" is all you need to know?

In other news, Scarborough Pirates fielded a women`s team for the first time on Sunday. Didn`t know the club was still around.

I believe that Scarborough Pirates reformed for this year after a hiatus.

Saturday 18th September
Championship
2:45pm OuRLeague: Newcastle Thunder v Toulouse Olympique

League 1 Qualifying Play Off
6:15pm OuRLeague: North Wales Crusaders v Keighley Cougars

Ralph Waldo Emerson

54 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Saturday 18th September
Championship
2:45pm OuRLeague: Newcastle Thunder v Toulouse Olympique

League 1 Qualifying Play Off
6:15pm OuRLeague: North Wales Crusaders v Keighley Cougars

4.30 and 6.30 there are London League and Southern Conference finals on Twitch.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived