Live Rugby League this Weekend

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

4.30 and 6.30 there are London League and Southern Conference finals on Twitch.

Which teams are involved?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The comeback is ON! Seriously, a very nicely-made try for Newcastle, converted for 12:54.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

As the Thunder players tire, Sangare's runs are really having an effect.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hitchcox goes in for his 4th try, and the conversion takes Toulouse's score to 82.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday 19th September
Women's Super League Play Offs
1:45pm OuRLeague & Twitch: St Helens v Wigan Warriors

Physical Disability Rugby League
2:55pm OuRLeague: Warrington Wolves v Wakefield Trinity

League 1 - Elimination Play Off
3:50pm: Doncaster v Hunslet Hawks

Also, while not free to air/stream, there's the Wheelchair Super League Grand Final
3:00pm Sky Sports Arena: 3:15pm Leeds Rhinos v Leyland Warriors

Ralph Waldo Emerson

WSL St Helens v Wigan has kicked off. To be honest, I don't give the visitors much of a chance here, as Saints have been the form team this season by a distance. Here's hoping Wigan put up a good fight.

Currently St Helens 4:0 Wigan

Ralph Waldo Emerson

St Helens leading 26:0 on 50 minutes. Wigan are defending decently, but the home side are just taking their opportunities and edging steadily ahead.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Switching over to the Wheelchair GF on Sky Sports Mix, Leeds have just scored the first try - 6 nil.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

39 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

This is a sensational game so far. If you’re not watching, do yourself a favour and watch the wheelchair GF. 

Fascinating to see how well this version of the game works as a sport.

It's a great contest too.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

8 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Fascinating to see how well this version of the game works as a sport.

It's a great contest too.

It is so much more Rugby-like than the Olympic version of the game. That's what makes it more satisfying, at least for me.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Spidey said:

Yup. The Olympic version is more like NFL which I’m led to believe is where it evolved from

For me, the Olympic version is like Wheelchair Basketball without the hoops. Round balls, forward passes, no touchdowns, no "kicks", pah!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A diving try in the corner, but with bits of metal involved. Let's hope he's not badly hurt.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saints 52 Wigan 0 in WSL.

Wasn`t as one-sided as might appear. Wigan are struggling with their attacking game. Very little shape and poor execution when they do move the ball.

There were about half a dozen leg injuries incurred, including to key Saints players Jodie Cunningham and Emily Rudge, although both were walking after the game. I still don`t know whether this has a biological explanation, but there`s no doubt leg injuries are a major problem in women`s RL. It demonstrates the wisdom in limiting and staggering the number of games they play. There`s no point in a busier schedule if it just leads to more forfeits.

The position for the first Saints try in the second half was set up by a repeat set forced after a Saints Tackle 5 kick took advantage of the Wigan winger being up in the line until Tackle 6. Not that you`d have known it from the commentary team who didn`t spot the early kick, just wittered on about the Saints kick and chase. Astounding how consistently oblivious commentators are to the tactical elements of the tackle count. It`s a simple game, Dave.

Danika Priim was the pundit with Parky today. She must be aware of things like this when she`s out there playing. Perhaps the RFL perform a lobotomy on all their would-be commentators and pundits to ensure the requisite levels of ignorance and inarticulacy.

York 28 Cas 14 in the other game. Semi-finals next Sunday at the Totally Wicked.

On 19/09/2021 at 20:46, unapologetic pedant said:

It demonstrates the wisdom in limiting and staggering the number of games they play. There`s no point in a busier schedule if it just leads to more forfeits.

I think they'd benefit from shorter matches maybe 30 minutes each way. Though I think they've come on fitness wise since 2019, being a fitter side is or will be an increasing big advantage in a part time game. 

6 hours ago, Bilko said:

I think they'd benefit from shorter matches maybe 30 minutes each way. Though I think they've come on fitness wise since 2019, being a fitter side is or will be an increasing big advantage in a part time game. 

When the Aussies began taking the female game seriously they adopted 30 minute halves. Some competitions (State of Origin being the most prominent) increased that figure this year to 35.

In the UK we just automatically assumed it had to be 40 minute halves.

Putting this here as it follows a few posts about women`s RL games last weekend.

I`ve been watching last Sunday`s League 1 final between Dewsbury Moor and Hull KR on a YouTube channel that only lists Dewsbury Moor games, so I`m assuming it`s run by someone with a close connection to the club.

The audio carries a depressing amount of the mean-spirited running commentary we`re all too familiar with along touchlines in men`s RL. And the usual insanely blinkered interpretations of the game partly designed to put pressure on the ref.

Even worse, what sounds like children are directing personal abuse at the bigger Rovers players, unchecked by adults. This does not reflect well on a club who have a proud record of support for the female game.

Archived