Elstone Departs

15 hours ago, LeeF said:

Robert Elstone’s final day is tomorrow - 5th March. No doubt some on here will be happy

No announcement on what happens to his role etc

Fairly typical that there's nothing in place about what comes next beyond some vague briefings that the game needs to unify.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Fairly typical that there's nothing in place about what comes next beyond some vague briefings that the game needs to unify.

Clowns. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Goodbye Robert and thank you. He’s been well worth the millions spent on him with his achievements including stopping expansion into Canada with the banishing of Toronto Wolfpack, cancelling the Super League tv deal in France and negotiating a reduction in the UK sky tv deal which is reportedly going to be 25%-50% lower than the previous deal. Please do let me know if I’ve forgotten any of his other achievements.

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This is probably his biggest failing, and I think it is along the same lines of what McMannus complained about - the new governance structure hasn't been sorted out so that there is clear direction on what happens now i.e. the recruitment started a few weeks back!

The problem as I see it is that SLE still isn't a real thing. It was just Elstone and a band of merry staff rather than creating a fully fledged team with proper roles and responsibilities. This should have been an important part of the CEO's role - setting the structure up for the future.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is probably his biggest failing, and I think it is along the same lines of what McMannus complained about - the new governance structure hasn't been sorted out so that there is clear direction on what happens now i.e. the recruitment started a few weeks back!

The problem as I see it is that SLE still isn't a real thing. It was just Elstone and a band of merry staff rather than creating a fully fledged team with proper roles and responsibilities. This should have been an important part of the CEO's role - setting the structure up for the future.

Rhodri Jones, I believe, is the CCO of Super League and has been the one on the press releases where you would have expected Elstone to be. 

Whether that becomes a full time step up or reappraisal of the SL organisation (an executive board with Jones etc as the marketing team), who knows.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There is a danger is putting all of the failures onto the shoulders of one man as it ignores the reality that, as SLE was just him and a staff and nothing else, that he had no real power to force the clubs to act in any way that they didn't want to.

And, crucially, nor will anyone else.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

There is a danger is putting all of the failures onto the shoulders of one man as it ignores the reality that, as SLE was just him and a staff and nothing else, that he had no real power to force the clubs to act in any way that they didn't want to.

And, crucially, nor will anyone else.

Yes, that's fair, and my post could easily be worded around the failing of the SLE Board - as ultimately he will always be answerable to the board.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Goodbye Robert and thank you. He’s been well worth the millions spent on him with his achievements including stopping expansion into Canada with the banishing of Toronto Wolfpack, cancelling the Super League tv deal in France and negotiating a reduction in the UK sky tv deal which is reportedly going to be 25%-50% lower than the previous deal. Please do let me know if I’ve forgotten any of his other achievements.

Maybe those Chairmen who spoke so highly of him at his unveiling will appoint him at one of their Clubs!!

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Personally I thought the Toronto decision was the correct one.  As to the others I have no idea what the original offer from Sky was and whether he managed to get it increased or decreased from an original offer,,,  I have no clue about the French TV deal as to whether it was bringing income in or was at some cost...

That doesn't mean that I supported his role just that I'm not going to shout out about his failure to achieve on individual items if I have no idea the detail.   

17 hours ago, The Future is League said:

If Elstone was paid on performance he would owe the game money. Apart from free pizzas i can't think of anything else else he brought to the game

Remind me again, what were his KPI's?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The game has become a rudderless ship with no plan B, C, or D.

Elstone's departure is a SL issue, not an RFL one. Just getting this established before the "blame the RFL" merchants chime in.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Based on the quotes below I would have thought that the SL CEOs approach would have made it easier for Elstone coming in to set up the strategy.  Maybe he’s never done something like that.  Divvying up roles and responsibilities should’ve been easier so he had a clear vision and goals.  

Sponsorship isnt included (but could have been as this is only MCs quote) which, with TV became REs remit.

Carter revealed each club representative has now been tasked with digging deeper. He said: “As I’ve an accountancy background, I’ve been involved in seeing (RFL finance director) Tony Sutton with (St Helens’) Mike Rush, just trying to get to the bottom of what the broadcast deal actually is?

“(Wigan chairman) Ian Lenagan and a few others are looking at some of the legal aspects in agreements between the Super League, RFL and other outside bodies like Sky. 

“I don’t think anyone from a club has actually had a proper look at the TV agreements. That is (alarming). But, again, it goes back to empowering people you have put in place to run the sport.”

18 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Based on the quotes below I would have thought that the SL CEOs approach would have made it easier for Elstone coming in to set up the strategy.  Maybe he’s never done something like that.  Divvying up roles and responsibilities should’ve been easier so he had a clear vision and goals.  

Sponsorship isnt included (but could have been as this is only MCs quote) which, with TV became REs remit.

Carter revealed each club representative has now been tasked with digging deeper. He said: “As I’ve an accountancy background, I’ve been involved in seeing (RFL finance director) Tony Sutton with (St Helens’) Mike Rush, just trying to get to the bottom of what the broadcast deal actually is?

“(Wigan chairman) Ian Lenagan and a few others are looking at some of the legal aspects in agreements between the Super League, RFL and other outside bodies like Sky. 

“I don’t think anyone from a club has actually had a proper look at the TV agreements. That is (alarming). But, again, it goes back to empowering people you have put in place to run the sport.”

oh my god. 

32 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The League now has working groups on Fixtures, TV deals etc. But according to Matt Shaw these groups aren't talking to eachother. 

He cited on the Full 80 Minutes that Hetherington, who as Leeds' rep is working on the TV rights negotiation team, didn't know the fixtures for his own team for magic weekend until they were announced.

Doesn't seem to be a happy camp at all. 

Going to be a storm on here when Robert Elstone's pay in lieu of notice or settlement agreement is disclosed as it shall through a disgruntled club chairman.

An equal storm awaits to see if the £ 500,000 to £ 750,000 "finders fee" is a contractutal obligation for Super League or could be wriggled out of.

On club - SKY negotiations, You wonder if part of the deal concerning control over digital clips for social media has been thought about ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, he would help.

God would take one look at the level of incompetent dipshuttery on display and exclaim, "Jesus H Christ, will you look at this ..."

53 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The League now has working groups on Fixtures, TV deals etc. But according to Matt Shaw these groups aren't talking to eachother. 

He cited on the Full 80 Minutes that Hetherington, who as Leeds' rep is working on the TV rights negotiation team, didn't know the fixtures for his own team for magic weekend until they were announced.

Doesn't seem to be a happy camp at all. 

At the time I kept a weather eye on the media for any reports or decisions on what was found etc etc but never saw anything.  Pretty shameful really considering the are in charge of teams but can’t work together in one for the good of the game.

Archived