Elstone Departs

28 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

A cheap and needless shot from Lenegan. 

Maybe he should spend more time listening to people like Hetherington? He might learn how to turn Wigan into a profitable club. 

Deflection I suppose, he must be under a lot of pressure.

In the past 3 years he's had a rough time management wise; just off the top of my head Shaun Edwards decides he doesn't want to be coach after a personal agreement with Lenegan, then all the criticisms of the Elstone administration he put in place, then the de facto collapse of that administration entirely, plus covid, and all in the backdrop of declining crowds for the past 10 years or so.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In the past 3 years he's had a rough time management wise; just off the top of my head Shaun Edwards decides he doesn't want to be coach after a personal agreement with Lenegan, then all the criticisms of the Elstone administration he put in place, then the de facto collapse of that administration entirely, plus covid, and all in the backdrop of declining crowds for the past 10 years or so.

Plus the failed Australian tour which he said would make money then used as an excuse when losses for that year were even more than usual. And the cheap attempt to get hold of the stadium which fell flat.

It's been a series of negative events. And I see, yet again, that the revolving door of primary sponsors has gone around again - it's amazing how, of all the clubs in the league, they are the ones with by far the worst records of building long-term sponsor partnerships.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

"I'm sure there are people that would like that to be the case. Gary (Hetherington) has never hidden the fact he wants Leeds to be the centre of the universe and the RFL, who were once in Leeds, to be the centre of his universe."

Ian Lenegan not mixing his words. 

This really doesn't help anything. We knew there was a close relationship between Hetherington and the RFL back in the day but there's a close relationship between Lenagan and Elstone. Elstone was his choice.

It also just highlights why no one with any sense would want to replace Elstone. They'd have no more power than these chairman and who would want to get in the middle of this.

I don't think anyone particularly wants the RFL to have full control under its current governance and with its continued history of incompetence, but the Super League clubs had their chance to fix things but instead chose to have all the power and keep the CEO at their level, ensuring nothing changed.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I wonder how much it costs for ' external advisors ' for a broadcast deal,when I thought that was Elstone's term of reference,as well as the independent bodies

To sift through applications for certain clubs who think themselves deserving of promotion,and to eject Toronto Wolfpack?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/everything-wigan-warriors-owner-ian-20021373.amp?__twitter_impression=true

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

19 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PWilkinsonWIG/status/1369310633875890176

That acceptance for the TV money is thoroughly depressing. 

I suppose the reality is that the NRL have signed a reduced deal, as have the RU Premiership. It's a bad time for sports rights to come up - the question will be how much of a drop are we going to accept.

I'm surprised he has no idea, how much it takes to run a championship or championship 1 club. You'd think he'd have a ball park average in his mind.

On 10/03/2021 at 12:38, Dave T said:

I suppose the reality is that the NRL have signed a reduced deal, as have the RU Premiership. It's a bad time for sports rights to come up - the question will be how much of a drop are we going to accept.

Too many posters on here stick their head in the sand, and point their prejudice up in the air.

On 09/03/2021 at 17:10, Hela Wigmen said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PWilkinsonWIG/status/1369310633875890176

That acceptance for the TV money is thoroughly depressing. 

The RFL Council on 14/9/2018 agreed  the division of a future TV contract between the RFL ( who grant aid Championship and below ) and SLE ( who look after themselves ). That I presume is the reference made by Lenegan to the TV deal.

Under  clause 4 headed ' Future Funding for seasons 2022 and beyond'  it reads 4vi- This funding will continue into future broadcast deals ( and seasons ) if revenues received in the relevant year do not fall below £35 million.

and at 4vii- ' Should in any year broadcast rights fall below £35 million, RFL and SLE will enter good faith discussions about revenue share '.

I can only assume/ hope that those discussions are already taking place. The RFL's own funding and certainly the grants to the Championship  clubs and below must be under severe pressure if the rumours of the TV deal being approx £30 million a year are right.

If Sky try funds ( currently received and awarded by RFL ) disappear then the grass roots supported through the Foundations are also likely to take a significant £million + financial hit.......

On 09/03/2021 at 16:36, Tommygilf said:

It's a shame they only finished top of the league.

And developed a new fantastic administrative and training complex right on the doorstep of the stadium including a great fan zone and club shop. 

16 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

It's a shame they only finished top of the league.

And developed a new fantastic administrative and training complex right on the doorstep of the stadium including a great fan zone and club shop. 

I hope Robin Park works for them

• 2 weeks later...

Both Ian and Gary are super guys with nothing but the interest of rugby league at heart,i sincerely hope that for the sake of the game everyone can buy the Hatchett and get on with it.

As a sport we need everyone onside here.

Ken Davy good choice for now IMHO.

Paul

Archived