Midlands Rugby League

8 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Interesting you mention Worcester.

I meant Worcestershire. As in NEW Ravens / Redditch.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

I meant Worcestershire. As in NEW Ravens / Redditch.

Think they play up inside the M42 these days; bit further north than Redditch. I was cheekily referring to the Jaguars, (based in Droitwich Spa which is a lot closer to Redditch) who I think have had a bit of an online spat with Coventry Bears. But as someone else said, they will be playing in the West of England league, despite the Euro games being played up north of Birmingham.

8 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Think they play up inside the M42 these days; bit further north than Redditch. I was cheekily referring to the Jaguars, (based in Droitwich Spa which is a lot closer to Redditch) who I think have had a bit of an online spat with Coventry Bears. But as someone else said, they will be playing in the West of England league, despite the Euro games being played up north of Birmingham.

Ravens play at Kings Norton, just south of Birmingham’s suburban boundary (off the M42)

Great juniors and masters but struggle to attract open age players... regularly they turn up for fixtures with 7-11 players. 

On 07/03/2021 at 10:06, welshmagpie said:

Massively agree. I tried to alleviate any over-optimism with my earlier point about the immediate needs being regular junior fixtures and keeping clubs afloat.

Some games in the midlands league are barely pub league standard, sadly. There’s some way to go. 

I'm really interested how you came to U13 and U16 as your preferred age groups.

10 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I'm really interested how you came to U13 and U16 as your preferred age groups.

Just plucked mate to be honest, didn’t think about any reasoning behind them.

Under 16s has to be one however, mainly due to its proximity to open age eligibility - it means kids won’t leave the game for a few years whilst there isn’t an age bracket for them to eventually never return.

I imagine U14s and U16s would keep a kid from Redditch playing rugby league from the age of 13 right up to 16, year on year before stepping up to open age training.

If I am honest I think the Lincoln club should be Peterborough way instead. 

This would keep Boston and St Ives in their own space with bigger player pools. 

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

Archived