Hastings desperate to leave Wigan

If he initiates a release at this stage of the season, when all Wigan's planning will have revolved around him, then I'd back Wigan 100% to hold out for a significant fee or refuse to release his registration.  If this was the other way round the outcry in the NRL would be enormous, and if Wigan let him go without a fight it would be open season on any player.  

As an aside, Wests look horrible already this year and they need more than one player to turn things around.  Brooks is one of a batch of ridiculously overpaid halfbacks in the NRL who really are poor but lucked out with bidding wars when they were coming off contract.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

If you have a player who doesn't want to be there you might as well let him go. SL contracts mean nothing to NRL clubs, they know that everyone wants to be in their competition for the money alone.

Wigan at least got a season out of Hastings, better than they got from Edwards😁

They don't mean nothing, NRL clubs may like to think that but its simply not the case. As NRL clubs dealing with Wigan have found in the past they wont get the player unless they pay a transfer fee, and rightly so too.

On 06/03/2021 at 14:21, Eddie said:

It’s fair enough that they come here to earn a living if they can’t get a game in a better league. Same as CFL players would join the NFL if they could, Championship players would be in the premier league etc. I don’t know why anyone expects club loyalty from players, it’s their job. 

I’m going to pick out one example here but this applies to every sportsperson. Do you want to be loved forever, or do you want to be viewed with indifference?

When Fernando Torres left Liverpool to join Chelsea in January 2011 that completely finished off any attachment I had to a player. It’s a move that also ruined him as the love he got from Liverpool was never reciprocated at Chelsea. Torres did an article this week in The Independent where he looked back on his career and realised that the most important thing was the relationships he had formed with people, and in his head were the warm memories of scoring goals and the connection with fans, not medals/trophies (which was his aim before his career started). A round metal thing stored in your drawer is nice, but there’s no emotion with that. It’s the memories of things you did on the field (court, ring etc.) and the cheers of the crowd, it’s that what gives you most satisfaction. Nothing beats being adored for life by fans you had a connection with. Torres is liked by Liverpool fans for his time at the club, but any lifelong connection ended when he jumped ship to Chelsea. This pains him. His name will never be sung again at Anfield. He will never walk out during a half time presentation and receive adoration from the crowd. His connection with the club is restricted to the years he played there (2007-2011), frozen in time, in contrast Robbie Fowler’s connection will remain forever. Michael Owen is another one who is pained by his lack of lifelong connection (in his case I think it’s unfair how he’s perceived as he gave his best years to us and was more than loyal...couldn’t care less he joined Man U at the end when he was over the hill, he’s a Liverpool legend to me). A current sportsperson would do well to take heed of the lesson Torres learned. 

As clinical as it sounds these people are merely employees. You might get the odd one who will stay regardless of the circumstance (a team relegated to a lower division, top star wants to stay loyal to the club (ie. fans) and get them back up), but by and large they think of #1 and will put themselves first. They will leave to become employees somewhere else, and they will retire with no connection to anybody outside their own family. 

Ultimately fans are the club, players are just passing through. Enjoy them while they wear your jersey, but don’t get attached.

2 hours ago, DC77 said:

I’m going to pick out one example here but this applies to every sportsperson. Do you want to be loved forever, or do you want to be viewed with indifference?

When Fernando Torres left Liverpool to join Chelsea in January 2011 that completely finished off any attachment I had to a player. It’s a move that also ruined him as the love he got from Liverpool was never reciprocated at Chelsea. Torres did an article this week in The Independent where he looked back on his career and realised that the most important thing was the relationships he had formed with people, and in his head were the warm memories of scoring goals and the connection with fans, not medals/trophies (which was his aim before his career started). A round metal thing stored in your drawer is nice, but there’s no emotion with that. It’s the memories of things you did on the field (court, ring etc.) and the cheers of the crowd, it’s that what gives you most satisfaction. Nothing beats being adored for life by fans you had a connection with. Torres is liked by Liverpool fans for his time at the club, but any lifelong connection ended when he jumped ship to Chelsea. This pains him. His name will never be sung again at Anfield. He will never walk out during a half time presentation and receive adoration from the crowd. His connection with the club is restricted to the years he played there (2007-2011), frozen in time, in contrast Robbie Fowler’s connection will remain forever. Michael Owen is another one who is pained by his lack of lifelong connection (in his case I think it’s unfair how he’s perceived as he gave his best years to us and was more than loyal...couldn’t care less he joined Man U at the end when he was over the hill, he’s a Liverpool legend to me). A current sportsperson would do well to take heed of the lesson Torres learned. 

As clinical as it sounds these people are merely employees. You might get the odd one who will stay regardless of the circumstance (a team relegated to a lower division, top star wants to stay loyal to the club (ie. fans) and get them back up), but by and large they think of #1 and will put themselves first. They will leave to become employees somewhere else, and they will retire with no connection to anybody outside their own family. 

Ultimately fans are the club, players are just passing through. Enjoy them while they wear your jersey, but don’t get attached.

I suppose with footballers, where you can earn £200k a week at one club or £250k at another, you have so much money that the pay rise won’t make a difference to your life. However RL salaries are so low (as with lower league football salaries) that I’d expect them to go where they can get paid the most. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I suppose with footballers, where you can earn £200k a week at one club or £250k at another, you have so much money that the pay rise won’t make a difference to your life. However RL salaries are so low (as with lower league football salaries) that I’d expect them to go where they can get paid the most. 

What’s so confusing about that Oliver @Hela Wigmen?

9 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It seems strange timing to me. He’s not long since returned to the UK and is short of fitness let alone match fitness. Why would you sign him now? Surely you give it 4 weeks, wait for him to get a couple of games under his belt and then swoop? Especially if he’s then got ten-fourteen days in a hotel quarantining before you can get him on the training field. 

In the unlikely event of him returning to Australia any soon he would still have to spend 2 weeks quarantining in a hotel. 2 weeks with no training means he would miss at least 4 games due to lack of fitness

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I would say the opposite effect applies also, moves in soccer mean players can quite literally earn millions more at other clubs, even millionaires want to be multi-millionaires. With RL the compartively small extra money often doesnt make the disruption of moving worthwhile, assuming it is a similar status club.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Using basic maths

45% tax at 200k p/w - £110,000 p/w. 
45% tax at 250k p/w - £137,500 p/w. 

It’s equivalent to £1.95m per year. To suggest it doesn’t matter is bizarre. 

I think you may want to check your very basic maths.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

In the unlikely event of him returning to Australia any soon he would still have to spend 2 weeks quarantining in a hotel. 2 weeks with no training means he would miss at least 4 games due to lack of fitness

Exactly. They’re better waiting for him to get fit and play at Wigan before making a move, by which time he’ll have match fitness and two weeks quarantine won’t be so bad. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They will. But it won’t be much, I suspect. Unless Wests sweeten the deal with a swap deal. 

?

First his own comment above shows he is not going anywhere.

But mainly, just who on earth would Wigan want, presumably a player who would not want to go in the first place.  Last I heard NRL players were not chattels to be sold off in the January sales.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I'm sure the likes of JH will be on around £250,000 to £300,000 a year a Wigan- obviously not football wages but not exactly a low wage either...

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

?

First his own comment above shows he is not going anywhere.

But mainly, just who on earth would Wigan want, presumably a player who would not want to go in the first place.  Last I heard NRL players were not chattels to be sold off in the January sales.

That’s fine then. It was reported both here and in Australia that Wigan would seek a fee as he was under contract. 

Who knows? I’m not au fait with the goings on at Wests but players have moved overseas this early into a year, earlier in fact. Joe Greenwood and Zeb Taia swapped clubs in February of 2017. 

56 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Using basic maths

45% tax at 200k p/w - £110,000 p/w. 
45% tax at 250k p/w - £137,500 p/w. 

It’s equivalent to £1.95m per year. To suggest it doesn’t matter is bizarre. 

My point was it wouldn’t make a difference to the player’s lifestyle, unless they can spend £110k a week. However the difference between £50k a year and £90k a year is significant. But you knew that. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I'm sure the likes of JH will be on around £250,000 to £300,000 a year a Wigan- obviously not football wages but not exactly a low wage either...

Indeed, but with a ten year career he’ll want to maximise his income. It’s not like he’s then going to go on and be a doctor or barrister. 

Archived