Hastings desperate to leave Wigan

7 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

If he initiates a release at this stage of the season, when all Wigan's planning will have revolved around him, then I'd back Wigan 100% to hold out for a significant fee or refuse to release his registration.  If this was the other way round the outcry in the NRL would be enormous, and if Wigan let him go without a fight it would be open season on any player.  

As an aside, Wests look horrible already this year and they need more than one player to turn things around.  Brooks is one of a batch of ridiculously overpaid halfbacks in the NRL who really are poor but lucked out with bidding wars when they were coming off contract.

If he has a release clause then how could Wigan refuse to release his registration?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Damien said:

So how do work out that the difference between £137,500 and £110,000 is £37,500?

Because I’ve worked ten hours today and sat through to laborious phone meetings about software packages. But still £1.43m is not exactly inconsequential amounts of money. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I'm sure the likes of JH will be on around £250,000 to £300,000 a year a Wigan- obviously not football wages but not exactly a low wage either...

Maybe it’s not just the money, although every NRL starting half back will be on more than that, but maybe he’d also prefer to live in Sydney than Wigan. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If he has a release clause then how could Wigan refuse to release his registration?

Who says he has a release clause?

And what player had a release clause in mid season?

His tweet says it all, the report is rubbish and it tells us all about Wests and about Aussie media.

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Maybe it’s not just the money, although every NRL starting half back will be on more than that, but maybe he’d also prefer to live in Sydney than Wigan. 

Clearly he prefers Wigan to Leeds.

4 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You don’t have to live in Wigan if you play for them. 

8 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I lived in Sydney for many years and believe me it's got as many rough or problem areas than another similar medium sized city - especially out West....

41 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Because I’ve worked ten hours today and sat through to laborious phone meetings about software packages. But still £1.43m is not exactly inconsequential amounts of money. 

If you're earning between £10 and £12 million p.a. anyway I doubt is an amount most fret too much about.

Clearly the point is that beyond a certain point, the actual figures become largely immaterial because they are so vast and difficult to comprehend. And no RL player to my knowledge is earning a wage that could be compared to that.

28 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I lived in Sydney for many years and believe me it's got as many rough or problem areas than another similar medium sized city - especially out West....

Of course it does, but with the weather, quality of life etc for an RL player, especially one from Sydney, its not hard to see how it would be more attractive.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Of course it does, but with the weather, quality of life etc for an RL player, especially one from Sydney, its not hard to see how it would be more attractive.

All depends on where you want to live and what you like to do in life.

You can play for say Wigan and live in somewhere like the south Lakes and have an amazing life with outdoor living and in a very nice area.... or live out West in Sydney in a crime infested - basically massive housing estate... as I say it depends what type of life you want.

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

If you're earning between £10 and £12 million p.a. anyway I doubt is an amount most fret too much about.

Clearly the point is that beyond a certain point, the actual figures become largely immaterial because they are so vast and difficult to comprehend. And no RL player to my knowledge is earning a wage that could be compared to that.

Exactly and its all relative too. Plenty of people don't change jobs for that kind of percentage rise, especially when it means moving from one end of the country to the other. 

Just like plenty of players don't move from Wigan, Leeds etc al and would rather stay at those clubs and earn £60k than £75k elsewhere.

Saw on one of the RL "news" Instagram feeds that Wests are interested, and looking to bring him back to the NRL this season. 

How much truth there is in that is anyone's guess.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

Looks set to join Wests Tigers next season:

Jackson Hastings is poised to make his NRL return with the Tigers in 2022 as Luke Brooks insists he will see out the remaining two years of his lucrative Wests Tigers deal.

NRL.com understands Hastings is close to signing off on a multi-year Tigers deal from next season once his current deal with Super League outfit Wigan expires at the end of 2021.

Neither the Tigers or Wigan have made an official comment on the 24-year-old's future.

However, it's understood the move could be signed off as early as this week with Tigers eyeing him as a ball-playing utility/small forward, similar to Connor Watson’s role at Newcastle.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/18/i-want-to-be-here-brooks-insists-he-can-lead-tigers-out-of-decade-long-mire/

On 25/03/2021 at 22:38, Mr Frisky said:

All depends on where you want to live and what you like to do in life.

You can play for say Wigan and live in somewhere like the south Lakes and have an amazing life with outdoor living and in a very nice area.... or live out West in Sydney in a crime infested - basically massive housing estate... as I say it depends what type of life you want.

Australia is not a land of milk and honey?

Colour me shocked!

On 25/03/2021 at 21:47, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Is he mad? How could he possibly prefer Sydney to the climate and beaches that Wigan offers...

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

As a Wigan fan I am glad this has been settled one way or another. I am not keen in having these will he or wont he sagas every season.

It has been on the cards since he signed his contract.  It's not unexpected at all.

The interest now is who Wigan will replace him with.  But he is a loss to Super League.

30 minutes ago, Damien said:

As a Wigan fan I am glad this has been settled one way or another. I am not keen in having these will he or wont he sagas every season.

Now you just have the "Wests want Hastings to come earlier" saga to look forward to this season when they lose a few games...

Life in the civilized environment of Wigan, with the family oriented culture of British rugby league, and far from the yobbos of Australia who infest the rugby league fan community there, will have made Jackson Hastings a better human being.

I only hope that he can now end his feud with his esteemed father  — former Roosters half back and club icon Kevin Hastings — and have a normal family life himself.

Archived