Sky Sports Rugby League takeover

Very busy with work, so the first Takeover match I've been able to watch in full was the Leeds v Wigan one earlier this afternoon. Good to see so many familiar faces from the era.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dusted off my old Stevo Bingo cards, and have been in a dabbing frenzy!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Syooperb.

If I never hear the phrase "the merry whistle-blower" again, I would be perfectly content with that.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just watched Fax v Bradford from 1997.  Stevo's commentary getting stuck in a loop about something caused my partner to get as annoyed by him as she did twenty-years ago.

In this case, it was Bradford not going for the "one-pointer".

But by not going for the "one-pointer", Paul Loughlin scored a try in the corner for Bradford to win the game. 

Good result for Bradford.

But not for Stevo, who harped on about the bad decision by Bradford to not go for the "one-pointer" for about five minutes.

It did make me kind of miss him though.

Talking of commentators I think watching some of these back shows how good Eddie Hemmings was both as a presenter and lead commentator.

Yes it was probably time he moved on but hasn’t been adequately replaced IMO.

Stevo was always entertaining though but was always going to annoy some

44 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Talking of commentators I think watching some of these back shows how good Eddie Hemmings was both as a presenter and lead commentator.

Agree. Hemmings was a great broadcaster. A proper broadcaster, not a former player who can barely read an autocue.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

It does show how good they both were for a time. But that time had genuinely long passed before they moved on.

Streets ahead of what we get now although then, as now, the obsession with picking up referee as opposed to tactical errors remains.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Watched Widnes v Leeds yesterday and while I didn't mind Eddie, Stevo sent me up the wall.

Oh, and the good whole "momentum rule" turned up.

Both of them seemed to believe you could chuck the ball as far forward as you like as long as you run past it before its caught.

Talk about confusing viewers.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I've said before I think Eddie and Stevo were pretty great when they first started out and what they and Sky offered elevated the level of Rugby League presentation on TV significantly. They were a real breath of fresh air and it was lightyears from what I had seen before.

The trouble is that presentation and has barely changed and the quality has very noticeably gone backwards compared to other sports. Relatively speaking RL presentation on Sky seemed better in much of the 1990's than many other sports and I'm not even sure if its as good as what we see today, bar the technological advances in image quality, sound, graphics etc.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Agree. Hemmings was a great broadcaster. A proper broadcaster, not a former player who can barely read an autocue.

Can’t believe what I’m reading here. He was a football commentator originally, with no connection to our game. For a lesson in commentating watch the current Sky matches especially the one this morning between Panthers and Storm. What a match!!!  Also watch the Fox Sports NRL 360 discussion programmes being shown on Sky this week. 3 different one hour programmes with about 6 different experts discussing everything rugby league. Don’t miss Souths v Roosters tomorrow!!

8 minutes ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Can’t believe what I’m reading here. He was a football commentator originally, with no connection to our game. For a lesson in commentating watch the current Sky matches especially the one this morning between Panthers and Storm. What a match!!!  Also watch the Fox Sports NRL 360 discussion programmes being shown on Sky this week. 3 different one hour programmes with about 6 different experts discussing everything rugby league. Don’t miss Souths v Roosters tomorrow!!

It's all subjective. Andrew Voss gets on my 🐦 when he sets the hype dial to 11. It's unnecessary, adolescent and often sounds disingenuous. I prefer Warren Smith.  

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

It's all subjective. Andrew Voss gets on my 🐦 when he sets the hype dial to 11. It's unnecessary, adolescent and often sounds disingenuous. I prefer Warren Smith.  

At least he never puts down Superleague and always has something positive to say about the Uk

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I've said before I think Eddie and Stevo were pretty great when they first started out and what they and Sky offered elevated the level of Rugby League presentation on TV significantly. They were a real breath of fresh air and it was lightyears from what I had seen before.

The trouble is that presentation and has barely changed and the quality has very noticeably gone backwards compared to other sports. Relatively speaking RL presentation on Sky seemed better in much of the 1990's than many other sports and I'm not even sure if its as good as what we see today, bar the technological advances in image quality, sound, graphics etc.

It wasn't until watching one of the reruns the other night that I noticed the music during the opening credits of Big League in 1994 is the same music that Sky used after tries up until about 2 years ago!

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Just watching the Wigan v Leeds game from 95 now in Dublin. Where was this played?

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/charity-shield--uk--1995/wigan-vs-leeds.html

The Royal Dublin Showground, according to the linked page.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tomorrow. from 10am, it appears that the final day of the Rugby League Takeover is going to be streamed on YouTube as well as broadcast! So if you don't have Sky, fill yer boots!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Just watching the Wigan v Leeds game from 95 now in Dublin. Where was this played?

A rare chance to see Nigel Wright in action, too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

GB v Australia 1992, proper international rugby. Contested play the balls, fights, tour games oh it’s like dream land why did we ever go away from this?? 8,000 Great Britain fans on tour....

Because it was 30 years ago and the world moves on.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Don't understand why they don't still go over on an aircraft carrier.

Love this 2001 game btw. Classic jerseys, great atmosphere. GB side with Radlinski, Senior, Connolly, Sculthorpe, Panface, Pryce etc should have had far more success than it did.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Not sure that I agree with your conclusion - depends what you mean by 'the world moves on', as it's a pretty broad statement. That 92 Lions tour was a massive success, and we haven't done one since for various reasons. But there was never a conscious decision to stop them because they weren't successful or weren't making money. 

It infuriates me that the GB v Australia Ashes series were genuinely one of the few massive international occasions in the RL calendar, and we ditched it. No other sport would ditch a hugely successful international competition like that. Things like RU Lions tours and the Ryder Cup make a massive deal about their history, and we seem to have been happy to flush ours down the bog. The RU Lions tours show that these sorts of things can still be a massive deal. The world hasn't moved on from the concept of a test series/tour in that respect IMO. 

Fantastic game though - best international performance I've ever seen us put on. It was fantasy stuff.

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

My favourite bit of Stevo commentary coming up in the second half with the final GB try. ‘Skill...skill....a little bit of Lady Luck...’

Mine was "Go McGinty, go!"

Archived