Sky Sports Rugby League takeover

50 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The RL Takeover on SKY is great to have on in the background while working from home.  Wales v Australia 2000 certainly was a cracking game

Yeah, I sat down to watch the first half instead of getting on with some work. Very enjoyable. Looking forward to some of the pre-SL games they've dug out. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warrington v Saints from Magic 2013 is a fond memory for me as it was my stag weekend. Just switched on to see us rightly pinged for a forward pass, only for Saints to score off one in the very next set. Ah well, at least it ends well.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Warrington v Saints from Magic 2013 is a fond memory for me as it was my stag weekend. Just switched on to see us rightly pinged for a forward pass, only for Saints to score off one in the very next set. Ah well, at least it ends well.

Just mentioned it to a couple of mates that it was a rare occasion when Simon Grix was actually playing - so unluckly with injuries

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Just mentioned it to a couple of mates that it was a rare occasion when Simon Grix was actually playing - so unluckly with injuries

A favourite of mine. He was unlucky with injuries, but did notch up 164 appearances for Warrington and 244 club matches in total (plus two for Ireland) so nowhere near a Gary Wheeler or Nigel Wright type.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

A favourite of mine. He was unlucky with injuries, but did notch up 164 appearances for Warrington and 244 club matches in total (plus two for Ireland) so nowhere near a Gary Wheeler or Nigel Wright type.

Yeah - I rated him a lot, maybe I just noticed him not being there more often due to that

I can see once more why that Leeds Bradford game at Magic 2007 was so controversial. It's understandable why Leeds were so upset about it what with Terry Newton not being sent off for that high tackle in the first half.

11 hours ago, M j M said:

I can see once more why that Leeds Bradford game at Magic 2007 was so controversial. It's understandable why Leeds were so upset about it what with Terry Newton not being sent off for that high tackle in the first half.

its great isnt it 😄 

11 hours ago, M j M said:

There were a whole host of utterly baffling decisions in that game. It is quite gloriously ridiculous.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 06/03/2021 at 14:23, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’m glad this one made the list

Friday, March 26

Australia vs Tonga (2019): One of the greatest international upsets of all time as Tonga defeated world champions Australia in Auckland.

This is the one I'm most looking forward to along with the 2016 Hull Derby come back game. I was very lucky to be at Eden Park and especially with the pathetic efforts served up by GB, it was the highlight of the sporting section of our trip. 3 GB games and 2 England T20 games (the 2 we lost 🙈) meant there was very little to cheer about, thank goodness it was an amazing country and more than made up for the rubbish on the pitch!! 

Watching the Wigan v London game this morning from before I was born and I stand by my view that the game was rougher then (dirty bar stewards leaving late shots in all over the field) but it is harder now (the tackles have so much more impact nowadays).

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Watching the Wigan v London game this morning from before I was born and I stand by my view that the game was rougher then (dirty bar stewards leaving late shots in all over the field) but it is harder now (the tackles have so much more impact nowadays).

i'm watching this at the moment, its weird looking back at it, considering how quick the play the balls are, and very little trapping or wriggling to con a penalty.

Despite it being SL in name its pretty much still the stones bitter championship in terms of fitness, playing style and as you say, acceptable levels of thuggery.

4 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

i'm watching this at the moment, its weird looking back at it, considering how quick the play the balls are, and very little trapping or wriggling to con a penalty.

Despite it being SL in name its pretty much still the stones bitter championship in terms of fitness, playing style and as you say, acceptable levels of thuggery.

The defences are a joke tbf. "Tackles" are either groups of flailing arms or body flops, with the occasional late shoulder charge, and the defensive line is all over the place. Noticeably that is markedly different in the modern game.

I don't think the ptbs are particularly "quick", but there is less holding on or trying to slow it down on top of that. Tacklers notably get off quickly and are rarely set properly at markers, but hookers don't seem to take advantage of that either. 

Its notable how the era of players who eventually came through exclusively Super League academy systems, and latterly players who have only lived during the fully professional era, is much different to this.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The defences are a joke tbf. "Tackles" are either groups of flailing arms or body flops, with the occasional late shoulder charge, and the defensive line is all over the place. Noticeably that is markedly different in the modern game.

I don't think the ptbs are particularly "quick", but there is less holding on or trying to slow it down on top of that. Tacklers notably get off quickly and are rarely set properly at markers, but hookers don't seem to take advantage of that either. 

Its notable how the era of players who eventually came through exclusively Super League academy systems, and latterly players who have only lived during the fully professional era, is much different to this.

Noted a lot of this when watching the London v Canberra game at the weekend. It's a lot more like the game I watched in the 80s. Possession is less secure and a lot more crabbing running alongside what you've just described. I much prefer the game we have now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Noted a lot of this when watching the London v Canberra game at the weekend. It's a lot more like the game I watched in the 80s. Possession is less secure and a lot more crabbing running alongside what you've just described. I much prefer the game we have now.

Yeah its no wonder players like Robinson and Offiah scored so many tries, if they were a hot knife then the defensive butter has already melted.

Professionalism has tightened up defences so much.

52 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Now I’ve watched the Saints v Brisbane WCC a few times but having watched again tonight I’ve got one question. Who the **** was brave enough to to ask Gordon Tallis for his shorts.

How good were Saints that night... England had been poor 3-4 months earlier in the WC 

I was speaking to a former referee who said the game then was a lot faster and yes it had everything including mistakes but sky didn't look for at them every 5 minutes etc 

players were superstars too 

On 23/03/2021 at 10:41, Tommygilf said:

Yeah its no wonder players like Robinson and Offiah scored so many tries, if they were a hot knife then the defensive butter has already melted.

Professionalism has tightened up defences so much.

just watching widnes leeds in 2002, they're still pretty ropey then.

It does make me wonder when things actually started tightening up and when the gap between SL and NFP/Champ REALLY started stretching.

Also, Daryl powell is making the exact same faces and responses in the stand to mistakes/refs as he is now, only with slightly darker hair

On 23/03/2021 at 10:30, Man of Kent said:

You can see watching the Takeover how the 10-metre rule made an enormous difference to the game. There's far more emphasis on gaining yardage through speed and athleticism. I think it has made rugby league a more consistently entertaining game to watch. 

I disagree with this, I've been watching a lot of old games over the lockdown and seeing the difference in risks teams were allowed to take back then compared to the often monotonous percentage stuff we see now is chalk and cheese. Teams back then had no worries about not getting over the gain line every tackle, they were willing to risk losing ground by moving the ball around a hell of a lot more than we currently see, and it was a lot more entertaining to watch.

Steve McNamara was a mid-90s comeback king. Two games in two days from that moment in tarm in which Steve's side has come back from the dead.

Archived