Will Streaming bring the death of away support?

coolie

Great entertaining game today by 2 committed teams, year off and the lads from both teams served up 80 enjoyable minutes. 

With such a good product done by Ourleague got me thinking, will fans travel away to games opting to cough up £4.95 to sit in the warmth and comfort of home, food easy at hand so no burgers at £3, no pints of beer at £3.50 a pint, no cost of petrol, wear & tear on the car, yes the away day experience is enough to pull in some supporters but will it effect others not to travel, will the likes of Whitehaven & Newcastle & London be hit hardest lowering their home games if away supporters don't travel, yes streaming is fantastic... But at what cost to club, the game and overall Rugby league at a semi professional level... We will wait and see. 

11 minutes ago, coolie said:

Great entertaining game today by 2 committed teams, year off and the lads from both teams served up 80 enjoyable minutes. 

With such a good product done by Ourleague got me thinking, will fans travel away to games opting to cough up £4.95 to sit in the warmth and comfort of home, food easy at hand so no burgers at £3, no pints of beer at £3.50 a pint, no cost of petrol, wear & tear on the car, yes the away day experience is enough to pull in some supporters but will it effect others not to travel, will the likes of Whitehaven & Newcastle & London be hit hardest lowering their home games if away supporters don't travel, yes streaming is fantastic... But at what cost to club, the game and overall Rugby league at a semi professional level... We will wait and see. 

No because when the seasons starts aka fans allowed in they'll stop streaming surely 

17 minutes ago, coolie said:

I agree that it was great today and am really looking forward to the real thing.

As for the second point you make regarding streaming, I can only speak from my own point of view. It won't replace my Sunday ritual regardless of whether streaming carries on. However, I am sure there are individuals who may very well take that option, as i suppose that's why it is there. 

Did the away following noticeably drop when matches were on Sky or Premier?

Can't beat an away day game, especially when you win, but I thought the coverage very good, but don't know why the read the team out over the tannoy lol

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

37 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I agree that it was great today and am really looking forward to the real thing.

As for the second point you make regarding streaming, I can only speak from my own point of view. It won't replace my Sunday ritual regardless of whether streaming carries on. However, I am sure there are individuals who may very well take that option, as i suppose that's why it is there. 

Did the away following noticeably drop when matches were on Sky or Premier?

Good point distant dog. If I remember rightly some crowds actually went up when Premier televised some matches. It was good to go to a game then go home and watch your recorded game again just to see if you were biased or not.Of course you wouldn't watch it if you lost for at least a week.😮

A streamed game is very much second best to the real thing but, when costs are taken into account, some people might opt for the former. In general, however, I reckon that it would be more likely to attract those who wouldn't travel anyway so could be additional income if treated correctly.

There is a parallel with the very early days of TV coverage of soccer games when some chairmen felt that fans would stop coming altogether. In the medium term the opposite actually occurred when non-supporters watched a few games and decided that they would like to experience the real thing. I feel that we have to embrace the opportunity rather than fearing the threat.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

No because when the seasons starts aka fans allowed in they'll stop streaming surely 

That will be true for this season, at least as far as the league games are concerned, as they re only being streamed thanks to Sky's dispensation. However, there have been suggestions that Sky will only retain rights to SL sometime in the future so it is sure to raise its head once again.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Very valid question. I believe that if they continue with the live streaming of games when the crowd's can return it will have a detrimental effect on a clubs finance's. For the reasons put forward in the first post. Surely they'll knock the streaming on the head when crowd's can return. Clubs in the championship and league 1 rely on this income from away fans in some way. I suppose it depends on how you view being at a game and enjoying the atmosphere it brings. Me personally I'd rather be at a game watching than at home. 

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

That will be true for this season, at least as far as the league games are concerned, as they re only being streamed thanks to Sky's dispensation. However, there have been suggestions that Sky will only retain rights to SL sometime in the future so it is sure to raise its head once again.

Hopefully if it did surely a subscription fee would come into play like the nrl/fox sport channel make worthwhile all games available on demand by 8pm game day but show 3 live games over a weekend Saturday 5pm Sunday 1.30pm & 6pm but also show classic games host chat shows I'm sure Matthew shaw and a few coaches/players could a thing maybe a boots n all highlight show with every try and interview on also behind the scenes at clubs 

17 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Very valid question. I believe that if they continue with the live streaming of games when the crowd's can return it will have a detrimental effect on a clubs finance's. For the reasons put forward in the first post. Surely they'll knock the streaming on the head when crowd's can return. Clubs in the championship and league 1 rely on this income from away fans in some way. I suppose it depends on how you view being at a game and enjoying the atmosphere it brings. Me personally I'd rather be at a game watching than at home. 

First we need to know in what form crowds will initially be allowed to return. If you look at Leigh, for example, with their commodious stadium, they have stated that they will be restricting access to ST holders only in the first instance, running with a capacity of c2500. This limitation is brought about by a close study of all of the Covid protocols that will still be in place and their safe management.

If we imagine that there will simply be a restart where the clubs say "everything back as before" then we would be fooling ourselves. Live streaming, so long as Sky permit it, will likely play a part through most of the season.

Cookie, streaming could have the exact opposite effect; you might find that instead of 50/60 fans travelling from far-flung outposts, the rest of a 'home' crowd from say Whitehaven at 500 fans might pay to watch a game which could benefit the income of both clubs.

2 hours ago, phildog said:

Cookie, streaming could have the exact opposite effect; you might find that instead of 50/60 fans travelling from far-flung outposts, the rest of a 'home' crowd from say Whitehaven at 500 fans might pay to watch a game which could benefit the income of both clubs.

Away clubs will only make 10% less than their 20% from pre sales... 

Archived