Cameron Smith - Where to now?

x49Dkb8.jpg

Twin Cams

With the NRL season starting in just a handful of days now there's still no definitive news on Cameron Smith's future.

There seems to be a feeling he will play on, but not at Storm.

Cam Munster believes so.

Smith remains a free agent and both the Titans and Broncos continuing their chase for him.

Of course he may have something else up his sleeve. You'd think that he at least, in his own mind, knows what he'll do and where he'll do it.

Stays a one club player . 

I hope he goes into coaching , because we have a job waiting after bellamy finishes up in another 5-6 yrs.

Legend , he had grown the game in this AFL obsessed city, he is a pioneer that will be spoken of 50 years down the track.  On top of all this he is a lovely fella. 

2 hours ago, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Stays a one club player . 

I hope he goes into coaching , because we have a job waiting after bellamy finishes up in another 5-6 yrs.

Legend , he had grown the game in this AFL obsessed city, he is a pioneer that will be spoken of 50 years down the track.  On top of all this he is a lovely fella. 

For me that's the best outcome. I didn't begrudge Cooper Cronk's swan song at Roosters, he played there to a high standard which didn't take the shine of his achievements.

All the same like Billy,  Cameron has finished on top in good form at the club he's helped steer superbly.

He deserves a statue!

Wednesday 10th March 2021

Melbourne Storm:

Cameron Smith has today announced his retirement from professional rugby league. Cam is not only among the most decorated players the game has ever seen, he made an immeasurable contribution to our club on and off the field, and his legacy will be remembered in Melbourne forever.

There was talk that Cam Smith did feel he could play on in 2021. The way he finished last season suggested he still had what it takes to play at the top level.

Here though is a quote from Mal Meninga who had been in contact with him during the will-he-won’t-he period.

But Meninga said the extra part of the decision was the loyalty to the club he spent his entire illustrious career.

“At the end of the day, he didn’t want to play against Melbourne,” he said. “He’s Melbourne. He’s been Melbourne all his career, he showed great loyalty to Melbourne and I feel he’s made the right decision in my mind. As an ex-old fella, I feel like he’s made the right decision for the right reasons and it’s all about not playing for Melbourne.”

If that’s the case then he has my respect and thanks for all he achieved in his career for the club, his state and his country.

13 hours ago, Graham said:

Seriously, I wonder what he has got in mind?

Waiting to see how the Titans fare before signing on in August to play finals.

13 hours ago, Clogiron said:

I hope it's not TV work as he could bore the hind legs off a donkey.

Yeah, I’m not sold on him becoming a commentator either. Maybe slow him into it as pitch side comments like Billy.

8 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Waiting to see how the Titans fare before signing on in August to play finals.

Yeah, I’m not sold on him becoming a commentator either. Maybe slow him into it as pitch side comments like Billy.

Sadly too many of these ex players look for the media route. Of course we need champions on and off the pitch but I’d like to see more of these greats pass on their wisdom to the next generation 

On 10/03/2021 at 12:27, Graham said:

For me that's the best outcome. I didn't begrudge Cooper Cronk's swan song at Roosters, he played there to a high standard which didn't take the shine of his achievements.

All the same like Billy,  Cameron has finished on top in good form at the club he's helped steer superbly.

He deserves a statue!

A lot of talk about that statue and disparaging remarks that it looks nothing like Smith and Slater. Someone even coined it the worst statue they’d ever seen. Shame

Archived