There is no country called France ... and other things

7 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Always found it quite funny that but for accidents of dialect and spelling that there aren't officially more Tw@tts in Yorkshire, despite what everyone else in the country might think.

The placenames you get used to that you that you then have to remind yourself are funny to everyone else.

As I discovered when explaining to some people who had never been to Lancashire that I'd been to a nice pub with my family. Oh, the name of the place? That would be Ramsbottom.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The placenames you get used to that you that you then have to remind yourself are funny to everyone else.

As I discovered when explaining to some people who had never been to Lancashire that I'd been to a nice pub with my family. Oh, the name of the place? That would be Ramsbottom.

Next village to where I was born is called jump....

The fun we had as teenagers. "Is this bus going to jump"?

"Yes lad".

"Do you mind holding it while I get on"......  etc etc ad nauseum.

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Next village to where I was born is called jump....

The fun we had as teenagers. "Is this bus going to jump"?

"Yes lad".

"Do you mind holding it while I get on"......  etc etc ad nauseum.

Was a running event a few years ago and a couple of blokes were in Idle AC vests.

They had to patiently explain to a couple of over-eager southerners that they were not part of some ironic hipster running club but there really is a place called Idle.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Was a running event a few years ago and a couple of blokes were in Idle AC vests.

They had to patiently explain to a couple of over-eager southerners that they were not part of some ironic hipster running club but there really is a place called Idle.

It's bad enough me coming from Wombwell.......

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

8 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Always found it quite funny that but for accidents of dialect and spelling that there aren't officially more Tw@tts in Yorkshire, despite what everyone else in the country might think.

Place name in Shetland - Norse for small parcel of land. There's also a Tw@tt on Orkney

image.png.e8802777368c8c0b3e8d64faf38ccdf7.png

17 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Towcester and Bicester were 2 place names it took me a long time to get right.

A fun little link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-49813249

With the 'top ten' most mispronounced places in the country:

1. Frome - "Froom"
  2. Ballachulish - "Ball - a - hoolish"
  3. Godmanchester - 'Godmunchester' (Gumster has also been offered as an alternative, but now little-used, pronunciation)
  4. Omagh - "Oh-ma"
  5. Woolfardisworthy - "Woolzery"
  6. Beaulieu - "Bew-lee"
  7. Bicester - "Bister"
  8. Ynysybwl - "An-is-abull"
  9. Rampisham - "Ran-som"
  10. Quernmore - "Kwor-mer"

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

1. Frome - "Froom"
  3. Godmanchester - 'Godmunchester' (Gumster has also been offered as an alternative, but now little-used, pronunciation)
  4. Omagh - "Oh-ma"
  6. Beaulieu - "Bew-lee"
  7. Bicester - "Bister"
  9. Rampisham - "Ran-som"

Ynysybwl and we're alright.

One for the 90's Bradford fans there.

It should be Fuji not Mount Fuji as Fuji means mountain in Japanese.

Also, it's not "The Ukraine", it's Ukraine. Odd how these things happen.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

34 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Loughborough has always been a good one for pronunciation mainly because it's got two of 'ough' in it but they are pronounced differently. 

LoogaBorooga

I live in the New Forest village of Nomansland, there is apparently another Nomansland in Hertfordshire but it is pronounced Nomansland, not Nomansland.

Can you imagine the confusion?

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

It should be Fuji not Mount Fuji as Fuji means mountain in Japanese.

Also, it's not "The Ukraine", it's Ukraine. Odd how these things happen.

They get very touchy about that in Ukraine now because the name Ukraine comes from the Russian word for border.

So "The Ukraine" means "the Border", which some Ukrainians think not only denies them national agency but also still defines them by their relationship to Russia and "its borders"- a position that since 1990 (and arguably before) they have been trying to distance themselves from. Its a rivalry that goes back over 1000 years and includes Russians referring to Ukrainians as "Little Russians". 

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Loughborough has always been a good one for pronunciation mainly because it's got two of 'ough' in it but they are pronounced differently. 

Many decades ago, Loughborough used to be an important town in the bus industry, with three body builders - Brush, Willowbrook and Yeates - one of whom - Yeates - was also a major second-hand bus and coach dealer.

On a family holiday in Ireland, and indulging in my interest in buses, I fell into conversation with a small bus company proprietor in the republic - probably Tipperary, possibly Kilkenny; I forget for sure.

He told me that one of his coaches was just about at the end of its life, so he would be off to 'Lochborough' to get a replacement.  I realised where he meant, as in Ulster 'English', the Gaelic word 'Loch' tends to be written as 'Lough'.  Indeed, the coach proprietor I was speaking to was very probably aware of an Ulster bus company called 'Londonderry & Lough Swilly'.

So, yet another way to pronounce 'Loughborough'!

One I've noticed a number of times in various YouTube videos is how Americans can pronounce Worcestershire in the context of sauce but not in the context of the county name. They'll try pronouncing the county and end up saying something like, 'War-chester-shire', have a moan about how hard it is to say and then a couple of sentences later be talking about the sauce all Americans seem to be obsessed with and pronounce it correctly. The comments section is normally just full of British people pointing out their stupidity!

And now, children, settle back and learn about how the Dutch/Belgian border operates in Baarle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle

I particularly like "Due to legislation, there is an erotic video store in Baarle-Nassau and a fireworks store in Baarle-Hertog which is open the entire year."

This place had some interest recently as Belgium and the Netherlands had different Covid restrictions and each bit had to follow the rules of the country their bit was in.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

1. Frome - "Froom"
  4. Omagh - "Oh-ma"
  6. Beaulieu - "Bew-lee"
  7. Bicester - "Bister"
  9. Rampisham - "Ran-som"

Surprised the place thats at the start of the West Highland Way isn't in there...

Milngavie or "Mulgaiy"

Archived