Hull refusing to release players for the England v Exiles game

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move by Hull. It’s farcical, really. Shoehorning a game into the calendar in a poor attempt to justify a full time wage for Shaun Wane is comical, really.

By all means we should have an International weekend but shoehorning it into the calendar around the Cup Semi and Final and ahead of July, where two teams will play four games in seventeen days, and then August, where teams are playing 6-7 games, is terrible planning. 

10 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I’m on the side of not choosing them for any England fixtures if they are voluntarily unavailable for mid season games.

You either value playing for the National team or you don’t!

The Exiles players won’t be playing for their country, they’ll be playing an exhibition, so I agree. 

For the benefit of the people who have commented without reading the story. He is only saying that he might not release exiles players. If any England players get selected then they will be released.

FWIW I disagree with his stance, but I understand his reasoning behind it. It's not like he is anti International RL. He was happy to let Sika Manu and Frank Pritchard go half way round the world for a mid season International a few years ago meaning they missed club games. He doesn't agree with the concept and the fact that no NRL players will be involved for England.

It's also worth saying that he has form for saying things that he won't actually go through with.

Why would a potential Exiles player want to suit up for an additional high intensity game to risk injuring himself while also weakening his club for that week? To help England get a leg-up in preparation for the WC? The 'honour' associated with being recognised as one of the best 'Exiles'? Bettering their chances for selection.... for the Exiles next year?

I suspect any Owner/Coach who takes Pearson's stance won't face much resistance from the players in question and I would be surprised if there isn't players who pull themselves out. I hope for England's sake they actually sounded out potential Exiles before deciding to shaft France/Wales, rather than assuming they will all jump at the chance to play.

It hadn’t occurred to me that this would happen when they decided to play that game the same weekend as SL games. It would have made playing France difficult too though, as Catalans would have suffered massively. 

Personally, I think it's really nice of Hull to let the Aussies feel less lonely in their stance against the International game.

Brothers in Arms or what?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

How to make an already tin pot game look even more tin pot.

Well done to all involved.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Personally, I think it's really nice of Hull to let the Aussies feel less lonely in their stance against the International game.

Brothers in Arms or what?

Our stance against the international game? At least we have a free weekend for international football in our calendar, and have announced plans for a rlwc warm up test against our closest rivals. You schedule club footy on the test weekend, refuse to play any of your actual nearby international rivals in favour of a cobbled together rabble, and actively hurt french rugby league by killing off their TV deal, killing off franchising and promoting Leigh in favour of Toulouse. Great champions for the international game you lot are!

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

England, who Pearson has said, will facilitate their needs in terms of calling up players. The Exiles, rightfully, he’s blocking. 

So if players aren't released for Exiles, who will England play against?

If a meaningful Exiles game leads the England winning the WC, the rewards to the whole game will be massive.

Of course, we can just remain a chippy little Northern sport.

People like Pearson are holding the game back.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Good move by Hull. It’s farcical, really. Shoehorning a game into the calendar in a poor attempt to justify a full time wage for Shaun Wane is comical, really.

By all means we should have an International weekend but shoehorning it into the calendar around the Cup Semi and Final and ahead of July, where two teams will play four games in seventeen days, and then August, where teams are playing 6-7 games, is terrible planning. 

Erm...the Exiles game was planned and announced 2 months before SL got it's ###### in gear and came up with a fixture list.

It isn't the Exiles game that is being "shoehorned".

12 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Our stance against the international game? At least we have a free weekend for international football in our calendar, and have announced plans for a rlwc warm up test against our closest rivals. You schedule club footy on the test weekend, refuse to play any of your actual nearby international rivals in favour of a cobbled together rabble, and actively hurt french rugby league by killing off their TV deal, killing off franchising and promoting Leigh in favour of Toulouse. Great champions for the international game you lot are!

A whole weekend, you must be so proud!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 minutes ago, dboy said:

Erm...the Exiles game was planned and announced 2 months before SL got it's ###### in gear and came up with a fixture list.

It isn't the Exiles game that is being "shoehorned".

The Exiles game hasn’t been announced. The Exiles game has been mooted for as long as nine months, originally to end the 2020 season but then once Shaun Wane caught Covid himself and the 2020 season started unravelling through injuries, fatigue and Covid related unavailability, it seemed to quiet down again for a couple of months before being brought up in the media again. 

There has still been no official RFL announcement on the fixture despite it being common knowledge that it’s taking place on the 25th June at Headingley, due to journalists telling us this and The RFL advertising for a Team Manager role for the Exiles side. 

The game is being shoehorned into an already packed domestic calendar in an already packed calendar for the sport. Placing it where it has been placed around a busy point in the season is negligible, to say the least. I hope this stance is shared across the clubs and this awful, awful concept thats been brought back from the dead returns to the ever bulging Rugby League Room 101. 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The Exiles game hasn’t been announced. The Exiles game has been mooted for as long as nine months, originally to end the 2020 season but then once Shaun Wane caught Covid himself and the 2020 season started unravelling through injuries, fatigue and Covid related unavailability, it seemed to quiet down again for a couple of months before being brought up in the media again. 

There has still been no official RFL announcement on the fixture despite it being common knowledge that it’s taking place on the 25th June at Headingley, due to journalists telling us this and The RFL advertising for a Team Manager role for the Exiles side. 

The game is being shoehorned into an already packed domestic calendar in an already packed calendar for the sport. Placing it where it has been placed around a busy point in the season is negligible, to say the least. I hope this stance is shared across the clubs and this awful, awful concept thats been brought back from the dead returns to the ever bulging Rugby League Room 101. 

SL has scheduled SL fixtures on a weekend already designated as an International fixture weekend.

The clubs knew it was slated to be an Exiles fixture.

If we are going to grow the game for everyone's benefit, we need the International game to be prominent - no-one outside of Wakey cares about Wakey, and no-one outside of Hull cares about Hull.

If we grow the bigger picture, we all benefit in the long run.

Pearson has shown himself to be a small fish over the years, and this just underlines it. Tell me how HFC have grown and developed under him?

The biggest headlines HFC have had in the last 10 years, were because the fool sacked his coach on live TV!

The "big" club's just can't let go of control - it's not Wakey, Hudds, Cas, Salford that are holding the game back. See the Lenaghan-Hetherington spat today.

Archived