Cameron Smith confirms retirement

Very strange the way it dragged on. Most players make it clear either well before or on the day of their last game that they are calling it quits. So I`m not sure what was going on there, he really must have been in two minds.

Personally I have mixed feelings about Smith as a player but you could never fault him as an ambassador of the game off-field and I was hoping he would play on as he was worth a bucket load of publicity, especially down there in Melbourne were it is considered something of a miracle that a bloke his age just made it look so easy in such a tough sport.

3 hours ago, Number 16 said:

The game is poorer for his retirement. Some players are irreplaceable. 

Certainly the greatest player in my lifetime. 

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/melbourne-storm-great-cameron-smith-retires-from-rugby-league-20210310-p579e3.html

A very good player that nobody could deny, but his constant challenging of more or less every decision that went against the team he playing for even when it was a clear offence by his team i found very frustrating.

3 hours ago, Number 16 said:

The game is poorer for his retirement. Some players are irreplaceable. 

Certainly the greatest player in my lifetime. 

55 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Very strange the way it dragged on. Most players make it clear either well before or on the day of their last game that they are calling it quits. So I`m not sure what was going on there, he really must have been in two minds.

Personally I have mixed feelings about Smith as a player but you could never fault him as an ambassador of the game off-field and I was hoping he would play on as he was worth a bucket load of publicity, especially down there in Melbourne were it is considered something of a miracle that a bloke his age just made it look so easy in such a tough sport.

50 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

One of the best ever. A pleasure to have watched over the years. 

I had hoped he would have played for the Gold Coast Titans for a season or possibly two to give them a boost for the coming season and beyond

I recognise the talent of Smith and he is (was I guess) a truly great player. 

But here's the thing. When a player retires, you will miss seeing them play... that anticipation at the beginning of a game that you will see a piece of magic or skill or just a huge physical effort to turn a game around. A play or a performance that will stay with you until that player takes the pitch again and you can start the cycle over again.

I know he was a great player but I just didn't feel any of that with Smith.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I recognise the talent of Smith and he is (was I guess) a truly great player. 

But here's the thing. When a player retires, you will miss seeing them play... that anticipation at the beginning of a game that you will see a piece of magic or skill or just a huge physical effort to turn a game around. A play or a performance that will stay with you until that player takes the pitch again and you can start the cycle over again.

I know he was a great player but I just didn't feel any of that with Smith.

It’s hard to get excited about dummy halves.

Smith is quite possibly the greatest hooker of all time but his talents weren’t really what he did with ball in hand.

Game control, first rate rugby brain, tackling, goal kicking etc etc - but he wasn’t an exciting player as he wasn’t much of a runner. 

Look I`ve never been a great fan of Smith, I suppose I`ve never forgiven him for the wrestle and all the nonsense that went on in the tackle, but where do we blame him for that or Bellamy.

In the year when Cronulla won their first premiership and Fifita was targeting Smith by continually running at him and often running over the top of him, I`m surprised that we never saw more of that tactic by other teams, I thought that year he was beginning to look his age, but that was 2016 and he went on and played another 4 years.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s hard to get excited about dummy halves.

Smith is quite possibly the greatest hooker of all time but his talents weren’t really what he did with ball in hand.

Game control, first rate rugby brain, tackling, goal kicking etc etc - but he wasn’t an exciting player as he wasn’t much of a runner. 

Yes, I understand all of that. However I did get excited watching Cunningham play and Roby more than Smith.

And I really appreciate the value of a great rugby brain... the likes of Johns and Cronk and before them Lewis and Sterling.

There was something about the way Smith played that didn't inspire me. I must have seen hundreds of his games and yet none stick in the memory. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Smith explains his retirement timing https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/cameron-smith-made-retirement-decision-a-week-ago-keep-news-quiet-until-premiership-eve/be993bb6-f68c-496e-b0a9-3729946c8d3e?ocid=Social-NRLFS

The criticism of Smith for being a "referee" or "complaining about decisions" has always been really strange to me. I've never seen a captain who doesn't do those things! What set Smith apart from the ranting raving Paul Gallens of the world is he was always super composed and very smart and effective about how he did it. Criticising him for being the best at something every captain tries to do is pretty weird.

As a player, absolute champion. Reminds me of the 4-5 year period Ricky Stuart was at his best, and everyone spoke about how he made everyone around him so much better. Smith has done that for 19 years. He's played with so many great players and they've all been unanimous that he is no. 1. That says it all. Absolutely extraordinary career.

I made this comment in a recent thread...

His wasn't a career with inspirational highs and moments that other players can't manage and he didn't win games on his own.

His career was one of relentless consistency, performance and achievement.

He didn't lift the spirits or inspire the fans, but I would be surprised if there is a player who has ever had a higher 'average rating' than Smith.

People called Romans they go the house

2 hours ago, MrPosh said:

I made this comment in a recent thread...

His wasn't a career with inspirational highs and moments that other players can't manage and he didn't win games on his own.

His career was one of relentless consistency, performance and achievement.

He didn't lift the spirits or inspire the fans, but I would be surprised if there is a player who has ever had a higher 'average rating' than Smith.

That's a great point.. Top sports(wo)men are able to perform at a high standard consistently. That shouldn't be underestimated.

7 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Cameron Smith has been the games best hooker of all time 

One of the unique aspects of our sport is Smith can be recognised as the best hooker of all time without ever having hooked a ball in a scrum in his career.... and packing down at loose forward for a lot of the latter part of it.

56 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

One of the unique aspects of our sport is Smith can be recognised as the best hooker of all time without ever having hooked a ball in a scrum in his career.... and packing down at loose forward for a lot of the latter part of it.

and some of the best five eighths have never owned an imperial tape measure in their lives.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

The criticism of Smith for being a "referee" or "complaining about decisions" has always been really strange to me. I've never seen a captain who doesn't do those things! What set Smith apart from the ranting raving Paul Gallens of the world is he was always super composed and very smart and effective about how he did it. Criticising him for being the best at something every captain tries to do is pretty weird.

As a player, absolute champion. Reminds me of the 4-5 year period Ricky Stuart was at his best, and everyone spoke about how he made everyone around him so much better. Smith has done that for 19 years. He's played with so many great players and they've all been unanimous that he is no. 1. That says it all. Absolutely extraordinary career.

Nobody and i mean nobody in the game has questioned the ref on average more than times than Smith and i go back over 60 years of watching, playing, and coaching even if was a blatant foul by a fellow team mate of his. 

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

That's a great point.. Top sports(wo)men are able to perform at a high standard consistently. That shouldn't be underestimated.

A sportsman like him has a smaller difference in performance between his best day and his worst day than his peers. I'd compare him to someone like Pete Sampras or Ed Moses.

There are some erratic and brilliant talents who reach greater heights every now and then, but their bad days are correspondingly worse.

The latter can be both more thrilling and more disappointing, but count the trophies and accolades when both retire and consider which is best. Hint: there is no right answer.

Cameron Smith has had a career that few can match, and it'll be interesting to see how/whether he stays in the game.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

50 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Nobody and i mean nobody in the game has questioned the ref on average more than times than Smith and i go back over 60 years of watching, playing, and coaching even if was a blatant foul by a fellow team mate of his. 

Repeating that you mean nobody doesn't somehow make that statement more than just an opinion. It's fine you think that, but I disagree. I'd argue plenty and I mean plenty of captains have, including Paul Gallen, Geoff Toovey and Andrew Johns as examples that spring immediately to mind.

James Hooper on Cameron Smith - Smith deserves to be remembered as a champion – but not as one of the great blokes - Ouch !

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2021-news-cameron-smith-retirement-opinions-news-reaction-melbourne-storm/news-story/5ca4ce99707dc07ff26a0ab3ad378b57

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived