BBC confirms Challenge Cup games

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Mores the point they’re using a challenge cup game to promote rugby Union. The whole preview and commentary will be about his Welsh Union career. 

If you have a League 1 club with a handful of fans being broadcast to a national audience, the BBC are quite rightly going to talk up the one thing which many of the audience will be familiar with.

The BBC are showing a game they wouldn't ordinarily show due to the sole fact that Gavin Henson will be playing. It's almost like some RL fans would prefer this game not to be shown just to prove a point.

Personally I can't wait to watch the game as it will the first time I'll have ever seen West Wales play, just as I was excited when I had the opportunity to watch Red Star Belgrade a few years ago thanks to the BBC.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Exactly, that’s why I think it’s a poor choice for the live game, though no surprise that the Union-centric BBC have chosen it. 

The early rounds of any cup are all about the mis-match and a potential upset. Expansion club West Wales Raiders have only won 1 game in the last 3 years, but have made 2 very interesting signings in Gavin Henson who gets all the headlines and Rangi Chase who should actually add real quality to their side. I’m really looking forward to watching the game and I’m sure many others are the same. If Widnes win by 60 so be it.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'd love to know what a "good" result to West Wales will be for this game. You have to think that Widnes should get a +60 start with the bookies.

A strong performance, no injuries, score a couple of tries, and keep Widnes to under 50?

No preseason games for Widnes - i'll be happy with just a win for the Chemics 😉

1 hour ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

If you have a League 1 club with a handful of fans being broadcast to a national audience, the BBC are quite rightly going to talk up the one thing which many of the audience will be familiar with.

The BBC are showing a game they wouldn't ordinarily show due to the sole fact that Gavin Henson will be playing. It's almost like some RL fans would prefer this game not to be shown just to prove a point.

Personally I can't wait to watch the game as it will the first time I'll have ever seen West Wales play, just as I was excited when I had the opportunity to watch Red Star Belgrade a few years ago thanks to the BBC.

Absolutely.

We might expect a bit of a Gerwyn Price angle too seeing as he played for WWR when they were the SW Scorpions. if broadcasters can find stories that people outside the game may relate to I don't see a problem with it.

57 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The early rounds of any cup are all about the mis-match and a potential upset. Expansion club West Wales Raiders have only won 1 game in the last 3 years, but have made 2 very interesting signings in Gavin Henson who gets all the headlines and Rangi Chase who should actually add real quality to their side. I’m really looking forward to watching the game and I’m sure many others are the same. If Widnes win by 60 so be it.

This. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Mores the point they’re using a challenge cup game to promote rugby Union. The whole preview and commentary will be about his Welsh Union career. 

Can't imagine them having much to say about his RL career.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Repeat post..

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

Well no, but there’ll be 33 other players with RL careers who’ll barely get a mention. 

Only guessing, of course, but i would think they will do something in the build up about ex england international Rangi Chase too.. probably a bit on the pair of them coming together from different backgrounds one strong in RL one strong in RU both out of favour etc etc.. 

As with Johnoco whatever they do it wont be worse than not being on at all.. 

9 hours ago, aMAZEYballs said:

Gavin Henson, is that the guy that was Mr. Charlotte Church? I know he played union for a bit, was he any good?

yes

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Well no, but there’ll be 33 other players with RL careers who’ll barely get a mention. 

I am happy to wager this won't be the case. Let's wait and see.

2 hours ago, RP London said:

Only guessing, of course, but i would think they will do something in the build up about ex england international Rangi Chase too.. probably a bit on the pair of them coming together from different backgrounds one strong in RL one strong in RU both out of favour etc etc.. 

I'm not expecting any build up, just the game.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

10 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

I'm not expecting any build up, just the game.

in which case they'll be nothing for people to whinge about... which would be a shame :kolobok_ph34r:

53 minutes ago, RP London said:

in which case they'll be nothing for people to whinge about... which would be a shame :kolobok_ph34r:

For these games there's usually a single camera and a commentator & co-commentator who aren't always even at the ground. Coverage normally starts about five minutes before kick off and you get a card with the score up during half time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

For these games there's usually a single camera and a commentator & co-commentator who aren't always even at the ground. Coverage normally starts about five minutes before kick off and you get a card with the score up during half time.

Which I kinda like...feels a bit more like you're there if you know what I mean.

Perhaps some of the comments about him on the BBC website will bring a few new viewers to the game, although I think the audience for these early CC games are decent which is why the BBC carry on doing it, thank goodness.

I think, pre-Covid, there was one game a round shown via BBC iPlayer up to the Fourth Round, so four in total. Given the format of the competition this year, I imagine that BBC will be meeting their obligations by showing two games on iPlayer in the First and Second Rounds and nothing to do with union or Henson. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think, pre-Covid, there was one game a round shown via BBC iPlayer up to the Fourth Round, so four in total. Given the format of the competition this year, I imagine that BBC will be meeting their obligations by showing two games on iPlayer in the First and Second Rounds and nothing to do with union or Henson. 

They could have selected another game to stream - I expect Henson gives them a story behind the selection 

Just now, Spidey said:

They could have selected another game to stream - I expect Henson gives them a story behind the selection 

They could have but I suspect Widnes being one of the better supported sides in this round (with viewing figures in mind) and the narrative behind the former World Club Champions going to the lowest ranked side in the competition, the links between Wales and Widnes (Davies, Mills, Devereux etc), former Man of Steel and ex-Widnes player Rangi Chase playing and Gavin Henson has played a part in the selection of this game and I think it was a fair choice. 

55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I know.. its a shame though as would have been a good game to make a bit of a build up around.

20 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Are these games available to view via the BBC red button?

I don't think so - streaming only via the website or iPlayer app. They may make a decison to do so closer to the date, as there's nothing currently scheduled on the RB for that afternoon, but it isn't something they've made a habit of in previous Cups.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived