Pre-season games

And it finishes 28-22. That was a fantastic game, with the Knights denied a try at the end (offside I think).

Typical Knights, they never stop and they never think they're beaten. Good to see that continuity after no games for so long.

21 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

And it finishes 28-22. That was a fantastic game, with the Knights denied a try at the end (offside I think).

Typical Knights, they never stop and they never think they're beaten. Good to see that continuity after no games for so long.

Yeah it was indeed offside.

I was impressed with York. They stuck to their task in the first half and kept it competitive when Hull were dominating. Then when Hull started to introduce a few more of the fringe players York took charge of the game and were by far the better team towards the end. There is plenty of SL experience in that team and I think they will have a real cracking at promotion this season.

As for Hull, more positives than negatives. I thought our line speed and intensity in defence was excellent in the first half. Reynolds and Connor were linking up well and the big guys looked fit and did some damage. Satae was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch imo. He could be in for a big season.

11 minutes ago, MZH said:

Yeah it was indeed offside.

I was impressed with York. They stuck to their task in the first half and kept it competitive when Hull were dominating. Then when Hull started to introduce a few more of the fringe players York took charge of the game and were by far the better team towards the end. There is plenty of SL experience in that team and I think they will have a real cracking at promotion this season.

As for Hull, more positives than negatives. I thought our line speed and intensity in defence was excellent in the first half. Reynolds and Connor were linking up well and the big guys looked fit and did some damage. Satae was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch imo. He could be in for a big season.

Satae is so dangerous crashing in like he does definitely no stopping him. Reynolds looked class, was a cracking game and proud of our York lads thought they played well, happy with that performance. 

2 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Excuse me but York also brought on some young lads. Left cuthbertson and clarkson out altogether 

I'm not saying they didn't. Just saying that once Hull's starters went off York started to get more and more into the game. Not a criticism of York by any means.

Also in my defence I could barely keep track of who was playing for Hull and in what position. Let alone York.

Just now, spanishknight said:

There was a couple of young York lads making their debuts, Hull scored 2 tries in the first 10 minutes then it was evens

Evens on the scoreboard yes. But the first half was played almost exclusively in Yorks half aside from that cracker of a try. 

But like I said, York fought hard and defended great and kept themselves in the game and had that late try been given then a draw would have been fully deserved. They look a very good Championship side based on tonight.

2 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Lol. Commentators didn’t know which team was which

Yeah there was a few dodgy moments. They called York the Rovers a couple of times and I'm pretty sure I heard the line "Hull have just gifted Hull a try" 😂

8 hours ago, wilsontown said:

I think my favourite commentator moment was when the guy said that a goal-line drop-out was "as good as a try".

Sounds like a budding Phil Clarke.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

After 60 mins when Reynolds went off is probably the standard of alot of the Championship teams although Hull are all full time. York scored 3 tries to Hull's 0. To say York haven't played a competitive game in near on a year and the half back combination is brand new with several other debuts on show apart from a couple of errors in defence, I thought they played well and structured well against a good Hull side. Hull I thought as they always do looked clever from the halves, kicked well and showed real power and pace up the middle, a bit difficult to judge on one mixed game of players from both sides coming on and off but I would suggest an exciting season ahead for both and the new Stadium at York looked immense, can't wait to be watching from inside that. 

Really enjoyed the game. Thought it was an excellent contest. 

O'Hagan was outstanding for York but they looked a really solid outfit all round. All the best to them, I hope they have a great season and the new stadium looks excellent. Would love to pay a visit with Hull in a competitive fixture sometime.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

A fairly typical pre-season game between Fev and Batley (final score 36-16) in that it became a bit scrappy as it went on once the substitutions started coming thick and fast. Fev were totally dominant for the first 25 minutes though, making big metres down the slope and keeping Batley penned in their own territory, before five of the starting pack were substituted.

Because I was watching that game I didn't see the first half of Toulouse v Catalans but I presume Toulouse played well to be 24-12 up at half time? Catalans took control in the second half to win comfortably, they seemed to have most of their recognisable starters on when I was watching. So nothing from the pre-season games to suggest that Toulouse, Fev and York won't live up to their billing as the three to beat in the Championship, but pre-season isn't always an accurate guide.

Archived