Pre-season games

26 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh beat saints

Entertaining game too. Leigh will have plenty of fight in them this year. They need to work on breaking teams down though. Dominated that first half against a near full strength Saints team and still went in 18-6 down.

If there's one thing I hate in RL its hitting a forward at 3rd receiver. Kills momentum nearly every time but Leigh loved to do that tonight.

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

On 13/03/2021 at 16:17, The Phantom Horseman said:

A fairly typical pre-season game between Fev and Batley (final score 36-16) in that it became a bit scrappy as it went on once the substitutions started coming thick and fast. Fev were totally dominant for the first 25 minutes though, making big metres down the slope and keeping Batley penned in their own territory, before five of the starting pack were substituted.

Because I was watching that game I didn't see the first half of Toulouse v Catalans but I presume Toulouse played well to be 24-12 up at half time? Catalans took control in the second half to win comfortably, they seemed to have most of their recognisable starters on when I was watching. So nothing from the pre-season games to suggest that Toulouse, Fev and York won't live up to their billing as the three to beat in the Championship, but pre-season isn't always an accurate guide.

I thought Batley looked a lot stronger than Oldham the previous week.  The acid test for Fev comes next Sunday.  Let's see just how good they are.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 13/03/2021 at 20:17, Harrigan said:

Entertaining game too. Leigh will have plenty of fight in them this year. They need to work on breaking teams down though. Dominated that first half against a near full strength Saints team and still went in 18-6 down.

Even though it was a just a pre-season friendly that doesn't bode well for Leigh. Saints left out Coote, Lees, Grace & Knowles and took Roby off after 2 minutes due to a head knock and still despite dominating possession Leigh still found themselves down 18-6 at HT.

Saints made 11 changes at HT and with exception of Makinson, Paasi & Amor had pretty much a team of teenagers out there, yet Leigh still only managed a 1 point last minute win even though they had a near full strength team out virtually the whole game. For me their only real stand out was Ellis had a really good kicking game.

I think Leigh (& Wakey) will really struggle this year.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Even though it was a just a pre-season friendly that doesn't bode well for Leigh. Saints left out Coote, Lees, Grace & Knowles and took Roby off after 2 minutes due to a head knock and still despite dominating possession Leigh still found themselves down 18-6 at HT.

Saints made 11 changes at HT and with exception of Makinson, Paasi & Amor had pretty much a team of teenagers out there, yet Leigh still only managed a 1 point last minute win even though they had a near full strength team out virtually the whole game. For me their only real stand out was Ellis had a really good kicking game.

I think Leigh (& Wakey) will really struggle this year.

even though it was just a pre season friendly everything bodes well for leigh.leigh left out wallace.flower.bell.tierney & mccarthy and sau went off early due to injury.leigh dominated possession but went in at half time 18-6 down after playing against a gale force wind and a near full strengh saints side.saints apparently made 11 changes at half time with the exeption of makinson.passi and amor which would give them 14 players on the field.then leigh magnificently came back for a glorious 1 point win even tho we didnt play our young players coz we dont have any.i think saints and wigan may struggle this year

3 hours ago, leytherz said:

even though it was just a pre season friendly everything bodes well for leigh.leigh left out wallace.flower.bell.tierney & mccarthy and sau went off early due to injury.leigh dominated possession but went in at half time 18-6 down after playing against a gale force wind and a near full strengh saints side.saints apparently made 11 changes at half time with the exeption of makinson.passi and amor which would give them 14 players on the field.then leigh magnificently came back for a glorious 1 point win even tho we didnt play our young players coz we dont have any.i think saints and wigan may struggle this year

Can Leigh make an appeal to whoever is in charge of the game and ask them to class this as a league game so they can have two points. 

4 hours ago, Josef K said:

Can Leigh make an appeal to whoever is in charge of the game and ask them to class this as a league game so they can have two points. 

Already been done.

Very happy with what I saw from a depleted Leigh side - yes Flower, McCarthy, Bell, Elliot, Wallace and Tierney are all first 17 - especially in that first half against the wind. More game time and the passes would be finding players and not the turf which played a big role in ruining the opportunities created.

We need a few more and have the cash should they become available, and if not and we get a run of injuries we will be into the loan market to get by.

Conditioning looked good and spirit was first class - with a bit of luck in the key games we could well sneak 11th - it will also help playing the big guns just before Wembley or the play offs though

5 hours ago, Josef K said:

I have made an appeal to our league for my money back after listening to wilkin waffle on about how good saints are instead of commentating on the game.

23 hours ago, leytherz said:

Enjoy your meaningless friendly game win - come the end of the season Saints will still be battling it out at the top and Leigh will be fighting for survival

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived