Hull KR Temporary Ground Upgrade

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Very Toronto like.

Yup, that's what I thought.

Although -

10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I wish Leeds would do the same.

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Would love Leeds to do something similar at Headingley as they already do for the T20s

since the rebuild a lot of this sort of stuff already happens pre- and post-game in the South Stand at Headingley:

live stage entertainment - yes

Marquee with bars - well bars obviously, yes

local independent street food - sort of

big screen -  yes

relaxed ‘festival’ atmosphere - yes, including entertainers wandering around.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Although -

since the rebuild a lot of this sort of stuff already happens pre- and post-game in the South Stand at Headingley:

big screen -  yes

Live entertainment and face painting etc which predominantly cater for older and very young demographic  but nothing like street food / craft ale which would specifically target for the 18-40s (other age groups would also appreciate)

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Although -

big screen -  yes

I don't know if you've ever been behind the Western Terrace for a Yorkshire T20 etc but it is vastly superior IMO to what goes on in the South Stand currently (and tbf is only applicable to those in that stand anyway. Its a real gourmet event experience that caters to a broad range of people and makes going to the game early a worthwhile experience.

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Live entertainment and face painting etc which predominantly cater for older and very young demographic  but nothing like street food / craft ale which would specifically target for the 18-40s (other age groups would also appreciate)

Agreed, and a lot of the rest of the sport is in the same boat tbh which is why our crowds seem to lose a lot of kids who stop coming with their families as teenagers and young adults.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed, and a lot of the rest of the sport is in the same boat tbh which is why our crowds seem to lose a lot of kids who stop coming with their families as teenagers and young adults.

This is a good point. Whilst I think the sport generally, as well as a lot of individual clubs, does see a lot of young children attending I would love to see stats on how many of these translate to teenage and lifelong fans. I suspect not many judging by decreasing attendances we have seen in the last few years.

I do think RL struggles with perception and that cool factor and perhaps always has done. Even as a kid in Wigan, in a period when RL really was king, a staggeringly high percentage of friends went watching Wigan Athletic in Division 3 as they got older instead of Wigan Rugby. All RL types, who played the game and wouldn't even let Football be played at lunchtime. This changed almost overnight around 14/15 when going to a football match was seen as far cooler.

On 11/03/2021 at 21:40, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Such a great idea this, hopefully most members will now be able to get in.

It’s not like it’s going to make any money back at all, given we’ve all already paid, so frankly for Neil Hudgell to put up the cash to do this is a great gesture for the local community. God knows what would have happened to this club over the last 20 years without that bloke. 

Hull kr seem to be making significant strides with their new CEO 

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

This is a good point. Whilst I think the sport generally, as well as a lot of individual clubs, does see a lot of young children attending I would love to see stats on how many of these translate to teenage and lifelong fans. I suspect not many judging by decreasing attendances we have seen in the last few years.

I do think RL struggles with perception and that cool factor and perhaps always has done. Even as a kid in Wigan, in a period when RL really was king, a staggeringly high percentage of friends went watching Wigan Athletic in Division 3 as they got older instead of Wigan Rugby. All RL types, who played the game and wouldn't even let Football be played at lunchtime. This changed almost overnight around 14/15 when going to a football match was seen as far cooler.

That's something I recognise to an even greater extent. I've grown up with generation playstation and the FIFA games have been a fixture of mine and my peers life for as long as I can remember. So whilst we weren't necessarily interacting with football by attending or playing in person, we were immersed in it through a different medium - and that was cool.

I've noticed it with lads from my school who were rugby rugby rugby (union in most cases), yet upon 6th form and particularly university that they've all adopted football teams. That's on top of the lads who already were football fans anyway. There's certainly an element of peer pressure for some lads to "have" a football team to fit in to some extent.

League does just suffer from being a bit niche Working Mens Club in attitude at times, but that means it isn't moving with the times. Its not just teens and younger adults either, its a total lack of diversity by most metrics that indicates a laziness amongst the sport as a whole to preach only to the converted on the professional level.

5 hours ago, M j M said:

Although -

big screen -  yes

Pre match at Leeds is certainly the best in Super League now Toronto have gone. They could really polish it off with more street food stalls and some local craft beer options.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Toronto really showed us what can be achieved on a match day, a blueprint for every club

It's quite amusing really when Hull KR questioned what they brought to SL and then repeat what they did. 🤷‍♂️

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

It's quite amusing really when Hull KR questioned what they brought to SL and then repeat what they did. 🤷‍♂️

Do you have a link to back up that assertion? I ask because I follow Rovers closely and have never heard anyone from the club say anything of the sort.

Rovers made one visit to Toronto in the middle 8 series in 2018 and everyone was glowing in praise of the matchday experience. It was brilliant and Rovers have obviously taken note.

The problem with Toronto was....well read the recent interview with Ian Lenagan.

On 12/03/2021 at 11:44, Hela Wigmen said:

Shame it’s temporary (as in only for a couple of months) and not something more permanent as that stand isn’t in the same postcode as the rest of the ground. 

When restrictions are lifted and everyone can go to games it won't serve a purpose. Keeping it there longer than is needed just costs money the club don't need to spend 👍 

23 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

League does just suffer from being a bit niche Working Mens Club in attitude at times, but that means it isn't moving with the times. Its not just teens and younger adults either, its a total lack of diversity by most metrics that indicates a laziness amongst the sport as a whole to preach only to the converted on the professional level.

Yeah the whippets and flatcap, white working class man is a strong stereotype for the sport. I looked at the members on the Leeds supporters board and they all look 40+ white which reflects the demographic of the sport. Jermaine Coleman was on Forty20 live and said about the lack of black players coming through now compared to when he was coming through as a youngster

6 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Yeah the whippets and flatcap, white working class man is a strong stereotype for the sport. I looked at the members on the Leeds supporters board and they all look 40+ white which reflects the demographic of the sport. Jermaine Coleman was on Forty20 live and said about the lack of black players coming through now compared to when he was coming through as a youngster

Its certainly a concern, probably worth its own thread.

On 13/03/2021 at 10:15, Tommygilf said:

It preaches to the converted and doesn’t move with the times. Why do you think most people frequent the bars in Headingley before a match? Because the selection in the ground is dire. Get some street food, craft ale and pop up gin bars in and make an event of it and I could attract a lot more casuals to go to the game. No doubt some on here would decry that they’re not proper fans though 🙄

22 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Do you have a link to back up that assertion? I ask because I follow Rovers closely and have never heard anyone from the club say anything of the sort.

Rovers made one visit to Toronto in the middle 8 series in 2018 and everyone was glowing in praise of the matchday experience. It was brilliant and Rovers have obviously taken note.

The problem with Toronto was....well read the recent interview with Ian Lenagan.

Google it and you will see the stories how Hull KR (and other teams) didn't want Toronto in Super League. Just look at the votes when they were cut off. 

The game could and should have worked together to make each club a success.

This idea is one of them.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

On 13/03/2021 at 11:02, The storm said:

Hull kr seem to be making significant strides with their new CEO 

Our best signing for this season, mate. He knows us, we know him. We think he's tip top. He left us in 2008 to go to Wolves, and then Stoke. His reach is there for everyone to see.

I'm miserable/pragmatic etc. at the best of times so if you see me excited it must mean something 😂

1 hour ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Our best signing for this season, mate. He knows us, we know him. We think he's tip top. He left us in 2008 to go to Wolves, and then Stoke. His reach is there for everyone to see.

I'm miserable/pragmatic etc. at the best of times so if you see me excited it must mean something 😂

My wife says a pleasure to work with she has installed an LED system there for you this season and is your shorts sponsor 🙂

Another article about this, on today’s sky sports website https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12246792/how-hull-kingston-rovers-are-aiming-to-revolutionise-the-super-league-matchday-experiences

Looks like a superb idea to me (as long as there’s interesting food and drink, instead of the usual ###### burgers, pies and plastic pints of gnats ######), good luck to Hull KR. 

Archived