Dally M points 2021 - We have a winner

I thought it would be a idea to track the progress of the Dally M leaderboard.  Here are the points for round 1.

Ryan Papenhuyzen Storm 3
Daniel Saifiti Knights 3
Junior Paulo Eels 3
Kodi Nikorima Warriors 3
Brett Morris Roosters 3
Dylan Edwards Panthers 3
Hudson Young Raiders 3
Will Kennedy Sharks 3
Christian Welch Storm 2
David Klemmer Knights 2
Reed Mahoney Eels 2
Addin Fonua-Blake Warriors 2
Lindsay Collins Roosters 2
Nathan Cleary Panthers 2
George Williams Raiders 2
Matt Moylan Sharks 2
Latrell Mitchell Rabbitohs 1
Jayden Brailey Knights 1
Anthony Milford Broncos 1
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Warriors 1
James Tedesco Roosters 1
James Fisher-Harris Panthers 1
Jordan Rapana Raiders 1
Jack Bird Dragons 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought it would be a idea to track the progress of the Dally M leaderboard.  Here are the points for round 1.

Ryan Papenhuyzen Storm 3
Daniel Saifiti Knights 3
Junior Paulo Eels 3
Kodi Nikorima Warriors 3
Brett Morris Roosters 3
Dylan Edwards Panthers 3
Hudson Young Raiders 3
Will Kennedy Sharks 3
Christian Welch Storm 2
David Klemmer Knights 2
Reed Mahoney Eels 2
Lindsay Collins Roosters 2
Nathan Cleary Panthers 2
George Williams Raiders 2
Matt Moylan Sharks 2
Latrell Mitchell Rabbitohs 1
Jayden Brailey Knights 1
Anthony Milford Broncos 1
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Warriors 1
James Tedesco Roosters 1
James Fisher-Harris Panthers 1
Jordan Rapana Raiders 1
Jack Bird Dragons 1

Tedesco 1 point 😂😂

Slightly off topic, but just made me remember looking at the Dally M points - anybody else picking up that the balance at the Raiders seems to have shifted in terms of who is the dominant half? Without a doubt last season it was Wighton and Williams was more given the role of off the cuff type plays. I know it's early days and maybe George just had a great game but he did seem to be taking a lot more control. 

3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Slightly off topic, but just made me remember looking at the Dally M points - anybody else picking up that the balance at the Raiders seems to have shifted in terms of who is the dominant half? Without a doubt last season it was Wighton and Williams was more given the role of off the cuff type plays. I know it's early days and maybe George just had a great game but he did seem to be taking a lot more control. 

I think that is a natural evolution of their roles at the Raiders. While Williams has a good running game, it is the key strength for Wighton and getting him to attack more on the edges will be a goal of Stuart.

I think Stuart is on record as saying he wants to see Williams being more vocal and manage a game more and so he will get better in this aspect. His kicking game (particularly short kicking) is also first class.

I was worried initially that Williams and Wighton were too similar but I think they are starting to compliment each other really well and I expect Williams to continue to be more involved.

Overall, I think Williams has done very well in the NRL so far.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Brett Morris is the first player in the NRL to score a hat trick in the first two rounds... and tips the Dally M board with the perfect 6 points.

Brett Morris Sydney Roosters 6
Reed Mahoney Parramatta Eels 5
Junior Paulo Parramatta Eels 4
Hudson Young Canberra Raiders 4
Latrell Mitchell  South Sydney Rabbitohs 4
Ryan Papenhuyzen Melbourne Storm 4
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Warriors 3
James Tedesco Sydney Roosters 3
Daniel Saifiti Newcastle Knights 3
Kodi Nikorima Warriors 3
James Fisher-Harris Penrith Panthers 3
Bradman Best Newcastle Knights 3
William Kennedy Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 3
Tino Fa'asumaleaui Gold Coast Titans 3
Jarome Luai Penrith Panthers 3
Ben Hunt St George Illawarra Dragons 3
Joseph Tapine Canberra Raiders 3
Josh Papali'i Canberra Raiders 2
Valentine Holmes North Queensland Cowboys 2
Viliame Kikau Penrith Panthers 2
Christian Welch Melbourne Storm 2
David Klemmer Newcastle Knights 2
Lindsay Collins Sydney Roosters 2
Nathan Cleary Penrith Panthers 2
George Williams Canberra Raiders 2
Mat Moylan Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 2
David Fifita Gold Coast Titans 2
Maika Sivo Parramatta Eels 2
Damien Cook South Sydney Rabbitohs 2
Jayden Brailey Newcastle Knights 2
Anthony Milford Brisbane Broncos 1
Daniel Alvaro St George Illawarra Dragons 1
Daine Laurie Wests Tigers 1
Dylan Edwards Penrith Panthers 1
Jordan Rapana Canberra Raiders 1
Jack Bird St George Illawarra Dragons 1
Ash Taylor Gold Coast Titans 1
Brian To'o Penrith Panthers 1
Benji Marshall South Sydney Rabbitohs 1

The failure of Luke Keary to gain a point in the Roosters vs Tigers game, when Keary was obviously the best player on the field in a game won by the Roosters 40-6, has caused an uproar in rugby league circles in Australia. The judge, former Brisbane player Sam Thaiday, even gave one point to Wests Tigers full back Dane Laurie ahead of Keary. That is ridiculous. Thaiday's points went:

3. Brett Morris

2. James Tedesco

1. Dane Laurie.

In my opinion, and the opinion of many other astute judges, the points awarded should have been:

3. Luke Keary

2. James Tedesco

1. Brett Morris

‘What the hell is going on?’ NRL ‘farce’ exposed after Keary snubbing

• March 22, 2021 12:07pm
  • by ANDREW JACKSON
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Luke Keary did not get any Dally M points. Picture. Phil Hillyard Luke Keary did not get any Dally M points. Picture. Phil HillyardSource: News Corp Australia

The Dally M’s controversial points-scoring system is under fire again after Sydney Roosters halfback Luke Keary’s masterclass against the Wests Tigers went unrewarded.

Keary was at his classy best in the 40-6 win on Sunday, finishing with an imposing stats line that would have earned him man-of-the-match honours in most games.

The 29-year old had four try assists, two linebreak assists, two linebreaks, 74 running metres, 19 tackles and 316 kicking metres in an all-round dominant display.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? > Get your 14-day free trial now & start streaming instantly >

Round 3  

Red-hot Roosters rip through Tigers

3:03

Keary though did not receive a single point, with judge Sam Thaiday instead giving three points to Brett Morris, two to James Tedesco and one to Tigers fullback Daine Laurie.

Morris scored three tries, busted six tackles and ran for 197 metres in the win while Tedesco was also at his devastating best with two tries, 11 tackle breaks and 181 running metres.

The decision to give Laurie a point in a team that was outclassed by 34 points has caused the most controversy though.

Admittedly, the Tigers fullback was far and away his side’s best on a dismal afternoon with 178 running metres, nine tackle busts and three linebreaks.

But Fox League commentator Andrew Voss could not believe Keary did not poll a single point given Laurie, in spite on his stellar individual effort, played in a team that lost by 34 points.

MORE NRL NEWS

DISGUSTING: Roosters star calls out vile Instagram message

TRANSFER TALK: Teams tipped to go after Souths star; Woods open to Tigers return

TALKING POINTS: ‘Time’s up’ for battling Bronco, ‘awful’ Tigers need overhaul

Keary's UNREAL flick sets up Morris!

0:41

“We’ve got a massive problem,” he said on SEN 1170’s Breakfast with Vossy.

“Let’s not make light of this. The Dally Ms are meant to be the most prestigious award in rugby league. You can talk about ‘it’s personal judgment and all that’ but the round one call on James Tedesco only getting one point when he set up three tries and scored three himself - that was a farce.”

For context, Tedesco had three tries, six tackle busts, three try assists, four linebreak assists and 98 run metres in the 46-4 win over Manly last week.

“Now we’ve topped it. We have a new gold medal winner,” Voss continued.

“Sam Thaiday what were you watching? Did you see the bloke wearing the seven for the Roosters.

“The authority and dazzle Luke Keary played with yesterday, I’ll put it in his top 20 games of his career and he hasn’t picked up a point in the Dally M voting.

“Daine Laurie was elusive when he touched the ball but how on earth did he get a point ahead of Luke Keary. What the hell is going on? We have a crisis here.”

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!!

Ennis: It's time for Milford to go

1:23

While Brett Morris etched his name into the record breaks by becoming the first player to score hat-tricks in the opening two rounds, Voss added Keary still deserved the full three points.

“Brett Morris, I will say this - has he got the three points because of the feat,” he said.

“It was a great feat but he wasn’t the best on the field. I would’ve given the three to Keary, two to Tedesco - you can take your pick. Keary has not picked up a point from yesterday. That is a joke.”

While voting will always be a subjective process, an overhaul of the Dally M system has been floated before by Peter V’landys.

Last year he suggested every player be ranked out of 10 for every game before adding up those points to determine the Dally M medallist.

He said at the time that it would address players who are in a strong team where multiple stars are competing for points.

The Daily Telegraph reported last month that idea was one of many on the agenda as an advisory panel met to discuss proposed changes.

• Dunbar changed the title to Dally M points 2021 - Round 2
  • Dunbar changed the title to Dally M points 2021 - Round 3

Latrell Mitchell powers to the top of the Dally M table while Gold Coast's two big forward signing are living up to expectations.

Can't believe that Herbie Farnworth didn't get a any points for his part in the Broncos first win this year.  I thought he was the best on the park.

Latrell Mitchell  South Sydney Rabbitohs 7
Brett Morris Sydney Roosters 6
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Warriors 6
Reed Mahoney Parramatta Eels 5
David Fifita Gold Coast Titans 5
Tino Fa'asumaleaui Gold Coast Titans 5
Ben Hunt St George Illawarra Dragons 5
Kodi Nikorima Warriors 5
Ryan Papenhuyzen Melbourne Storm 4
Daniel Saifiti Newcastle Knights 4

• 2 weeks later...

Reed Mahoney the new Dally M leader after picking up 3 points in the Eels win on Monday

Points Round 4

Nathan Cleary 3, Viliame Kikau 2, Jaroma Luai 1

Cody Walker 3, Damien Cook 2, Josh Mansour 1

Ryan Papenhuyzen 3, Tom Eisenhuth 2, Justin Olam 1

Chad Townsend 3, Will Kennedy 2, Toby Rudolf 1

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 3, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 2, Josh Papalii 1

Corey Norman 3, Tariq Sims 2, Daniel Saifiti 1

James Tedesco 3, Angus Crichton 2, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 1

Reed Mahoney 3, Mitch Moses 2, Isaiah Papali'i 1

Top of the leaderboard

Reed Mahoney 8

Latrell Mitchell 7

Ryan Papenhuyzen 7

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 7

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 7

James Tedesco 6

Brett Morris 6

Ben Hunt 5

Cody Walker 5

Daniel Saifiti 5

David Fifita 5

Kodi Nikorima 5

Nathan Cleary 5

William Kennedy 5

Viliame Kikau 4

Hudson Young 4

Jarome Luai 4

Damien Cook 4

• Dunbar changed the title to Dally M points 2021 - Round 4
  • Graham pinned this topic

Round 5 points and table below.  Latrell Mitchell1 and Ryan Papenhuyzen joint top of the Dally M table now.

Rabbitohs vs. Broncos: 3 - Latrell Mitchell, 2 - Tom Burgess, 1 - Dane Gagai

Warriors vs. Sea Eagles: 3 - Daly Cherry-Evans, 2 - Josh Aloiai, 1 - Sean O'Sullivan

Panthers vs. Raiders: 3 - Nathan Cleary, 2 - James Fisher-Harris, 1 - Brian To'o

Titans vs. Knights: 3 - Jarrod Wallace, 2 - David Fifita, 1 - Tyrone Peachey

Bulldogs vs. Storm: 3 - Ryan Papenhuyzen, 2 - Felise Kaufusi, 1 - George Jennings

Roosters vs. Sharks: 3 - Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, 2 - Will Kennedy, 1 - Sam Walker

Tigers vs. Cowboys: 3 - Scott Drinkwater, 2 - Adam Doueihi, 1 - Reuben Cotter

Eels vs. Dragons: 3 - Paul Vaughan, 2 - Adam Clune, 1 - Mikaele Ravalawa

Dally M Leaderboard (up to 3 points)

Latrell Mitchell 10

Ryan Papenhuyzen 10

Nathan Cleary 8

Reed Mahoney 8

David Fifita 7

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 7

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 7

William Kennedy 7

Brett Morris 6

James Tedesco 6

Adam Doueihi 5

Ben Hunt 5

Cody Walker 5

Daniel Saifiti 5

James Fisher-Harris 5

Kodi Nikorima 5

Damien Cook 4

Hudson Young 4

Jarome Luai 4

Paul Vaughan 4

Viliame Kikau 4

Bradman Best 3

Brian To'o 3

Cameron Munster 3

Chad Townshend 3

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 3

Clint Gutherson 3

Corey Norman 3

Jamayne Isaako 3 

Joseph Tapine 3

Josh Papali'i 3

Junior Paulo 3

Zac Lomax 3

Jarrod Wallace 3

Daly Cherry-Evans 3

Jared Warea-Hargreaves 3

Scott Drinkwater 3

• Dunbar changed the title to Dally M points 2021 - Round 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Round 6 points 

Broncos vs. Panthers: 3 - James Fisher-Harris, 2 - Nathan Cleary, 1 - Payne Haas

Knights vs. Sharks: 3 - Kalyn Ponga, 2 - Chad Townsend, 1 - Tyson Frizell

Storm vs. Roosters: 3 - Cameron Munster, 2 - Ryan Papenhuyzen, 1 - Harry Grant

Sea Eagles vs. Titans: 3 - Tom Trbojevic, 2 - Kieran Foran, 1 - Josh Aloiai

Rabbitohs vs. Tigers: 3 - Latrell Mitchell, 2 - Cameron Murray, 1 - Thomas Burgess

Raiders vs Eels: 3 - Mitch Moses, 2 - Isaiah Papali'i, 1 - Clint Gutherson

Dragons vs. Warriors: 3 - Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, 2 - Tohu Harris, 1 - Kodi Nikorima

Cowboys vs. Bulldogs: 3 - Reece Robson, 2 - Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, 1 - Jake Granville

Table (up to 3 points)

Latrell Mitchell 13

Ryan Papenhuyzen 12

Nathan Cleary 10

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 10

James Fisher-Harris 8

Reed Mahoney 8

David Fifita 7

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 7

William Kennedy 7

Brett Morris 6

Cameron Munster 6

James Tedesco 6

Kodi Nikorima 6

Adam Doueihi 5

Ben Hunt 5

Chad Townsend 5

Cody Walker 5

Daniel Saifiti 5

Mitch Moses 5

Clint Gutherson 4

Damien Cook 4

Hudson Young 4

Jarome Luai 4

Paul Vaughan 4

Viliame Kikau 4

Bradman Best 3

Brian To'o 3

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 3

Corey Norman 3

Daly Cherry-Evans 3

Isaiah Papali'i 3

Jamayne Isaako 3

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 3

Jarrod Wallace 3

Joseph Tapine 3

Josh Aloiai 3

Josh Papali'i 3

Junior Paulo 3

Kalyn Ponga 3

Reece Robson 3

Scott Drinkwater 3

Tom Burgess 3

Tom Trbojevic 3

Zac Lomax 3

• Dunbar changed the title to Dally M points 2021 - Round 6

James Fisher-Harris has stormed into contention for the Dally M and sits 3rd on 11 points behind Ryan Papenhuyzen on 12 and Latrell Mitchell on 13 but Mitchell cannot win the award now as he has been suspended in the season.

Special mention for Tom Trbojevic who is on 6 points but has only played 2 games and bagged the 3 points in each.

Personally, I am amazed that Brian To'o is only on 3 points as he has been outstanding... it shows that picking up Dally M points in a winning team is not always that easy.

Leaderboard (4 points and more)

Latrell Mitchell 13

Ryan Papenhuyzen 12

James Fisher-Harris 11

Nathan Cleary 10

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 10

David Fifita 9

Reed Mahoney 8

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 7

William Kennedy 7

Brett Morris 6

Cameron Munster 6

James Tedesco 6

Kodi Nikorima 6

Tom Trbojevic 6

Adam Doueihi 5

Ben Hunt 5

Chad Townsend 5

Cody Walker 5

Daly Cherry-Evans 5

Daniel Saifiti 5

Jarome Luai 5

Maika Sivo 5

Mitch Moses 5

Scott Drinkwater 5

Valentine Holmes 5

Benji Marshall 4

Clint Gutherson 4

Damien Cook 4

Felise Kaufusi 4

Hudson Young 4

Paul Vaughan 4

Sam Walker 4

Viliame Kikau 4

• Dunbar changed the title to Dally M points 2021 - Round 7

Top spots after Round 8

DALLY M LEADERBOARD 2021

PLAYER CLUB POINTS
Nathan Cleary Panthers 13
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck Warriors 13
Latrell Mitchell (*ineligible to win due to suspension) Rabbitohs 13
Ryan Papenhuyzen Storm 12
James Fisher-Harris Panthers 11
David Fifita Titans 9
Reed Mahoney Eels 8

I'll leave posting the full list to you Dunbar, but the two at the top are the cream rising.

Cleary is having a great season with high flying Panthers, while RTS is the 100% professional class act in an up and down Warriors side.

Thanks @Graham

Tedesco and Fa'asuamaleaui are back this week so may look to climb the leaderboard but a shout out to Sam Walker for 7 points already - what a dream start to his NRL career.

Leaderboard up to 5 points:

Latrell Mitchell 13 (cannot win)

Nathan Cleary 13

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 13

Ryan Papenhuyzen 12

James Fisher-Harris 11

David Fifita 9

Reed Mahoney 8

Adam Doueihi 7

Benji Marshall 7

Clint Gutherson 7

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 7

William Kennedy 7

Sam Walker 7

Brett Morris 6

Cameron Munster 6

Cody Walker 6

Jamayne Isaako 6

James Tedesco 6

Kodi Nikorima 6

Daly Cherry-Evans 6

Tom Trbojevic 6

Jahrome Hughes 6

Ben Hunt 5

Daniel Saifiti 5

Isaiah Papali'i 5

Jarome Luai 5

Maika Sivo 5

Mitch Moses 5

Valentine Holmes 5

Scott Drinkwater 5

Chad Townsend 5

• Dunbar changed the title to Dally M points 2021 - Round 8
2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Thanks @Graham

Tedesco and Fa'asuamaleaui are back this week so may look to climb the leaderboard but a shout out to Sam Walker for 7 points already - what a dream start to his NRL career.

Leaderboard up to 5 points:

Latrell Mitchell 13 (cannot win)

Nathan Cleary 13

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 13

Ryan Papenhuyzen 12

James Fisher-Harris 11

David Fifita 9

Reed Mahoney 8

Adam Doueihi 7

Benji Marshall 7

Clint Gutherson 7

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 7

William Kennedy 7

Sam Walker 7

Brett Morris 6

Cameron Munster 6

Cody Walker 6

Jamayne Isaako 6

James Tedesco 6

Kodi Nikorima 6

Daly Cherry-Evans 6

Tom Trbojevic 6

Jahrome Hughes 6

Ben Hunt 5

Daniel Saifiti 5

Isaiah Papali'i 5

Jarome Luai 5

Maika Sivo 5

Mitch Moses 5

Valentine Holmes 5

Scott Drinkwater 5

Chad Townsend 5

Sadly Brett Morris is out of the running as his season is over.

Nathan Cleary is now the outright leader in the Dally M race with 16 points.  Although you have to give Tom Trbojevic a big shout with 9 points from just 4 appearances in 2021.

Table with players up to 6 points

Nathan Cleary 16

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 15

Latrell Mitchell 13

James Fisher-Harris 12

Ryan Papenhuyzen 12

Tom Trbojevic 9

David Fifita 9

Reed Mahoney 8

Adam Doueihi 8

Ben Hunt 8

William Kennedy 7

Benji Marshall 7

Daly Cherry-Evans 7

Clint Gutherson 7

Sam Walker 7

James Tedesco 7

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 7

Cody Walker 6

Cameron Munster 6

Kodi Nikorima 6

Jamayne Isaako 6

Kalyn Ponga 6

Brett Morris 6

Junior Paulo 6

Jahrome Hughes 6

• Dunbar changed the title to Dally M points 2021 - Round 9

On the NRL.com leaderboard there is an asterisk next to Latrell Mitchel explaining he s ineligible due to suspension but I assume the same is true of Tino Fa'asuamaleaui who has also served a ban for a shoulder charge (but no asterisk)?

NRL 2021: Round 9 results, Dally M votes, injuries, judiciary, Dally M votes - NRL

On 10/05/2021 at 11:34, Dunbar said:

On the NRL.com leaderboard there is an asterisk next to Latrell Mitchel explaining he s ineligible due to suspension but I assume the same is true of Tino Fa'asuamaleaui who has also served a ban for a shoulder charge (but no asterisk)?

NRL 2021: Round 9 results, Dally M votes, injuries, judiciary, Dally M votes - NRL

Any player suspended for two separate offences or for more than two games is immediately deemed ineligible for the dally m. 

On 09/05/2021 at 20:11, Dunbar said:

Nathan Cleary is now the outright leader in the Dally M race with 16 points.  Although you have to give Tom Trbojevic a big shout with 9 points from just 4 appearances in 2021.

Table with players up to 6 points

Nathan Cleary 16

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 15

Latrell Mitchell 13

James Fisher-Harris 12

Ryan Papenhuyzen 12

Tom Trbojevic 9

David Fifita 9

Reed Mahoney 8

Adam Doueihi 8

Ben Hunt 8

William Kennedy 7

Benji Marshall 7

Daly Cherry-Evans 7

Clint Gutherson 7

Sam Walker 7

James Tedesco 7

Tino Fa'asuamaleaui 7

Cody Walker 6

Cameron Munster 6

Kodi Nikorima 6

Jamayne Isaako 6

Kalyn Ponga 6

Brett Morris 6

Junior Paulo 6

Jahrome Hughes 6

I also think cleary has had a two game suspension so will drop 6 points 3 for each game he was suspended. 

Archived