Our League streaming figures

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You can't state that last line categorically. 

The benefits from banking those early bird sales may far outweigh a few casual viewers the doubling puts off. 

If they have deemed getting people signed up in advance as important, it could be perfect pricing. 

With something like this (where you are not increasing costs by increasing footfall) there is no benefit to "banking the money early" unless you are hoping that they dont watch and wouldnt have paid on the day (which is a terrible strategy but one that wouldnt surprise me). Therefore if it was £5 all the way through you would make more money.. as those people would have still paid (just on the day) and you get the extra people that would have been put off by £10. 

If we are using your strategy then ok lets go with £5 and £6 you make more from those paying on the day but not enough more to put them off.

the event is being put on even if no one signs up (maybe the next one wont but thats by the by) so you dont need to cover your costs or cancel which is why you do pre sells normally.

the doubling is too much IMHO.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RP London said:

With something like this (where you are not increasing costs by increasing footfall) there is no benefit to "banking the money early" unless you are hoping that they dont watch and wouldnt have paid on the day (which is a terrible strategy but one that wouldnt surprise me). Therefore if it was £5 all the way through you would make more money.. as those people would have still paid (just on the day) and you get the extra people that would have been put off by £10. 

If we are using your strategy then ok lets go with £5 and £6 you make more from those paying on the day but not enough more to put them off.

the event is being put on even if no one signs up (maybe the next one wont but thats by the by) so you dont need to cover your costs or cancel which is why you do pre sells normally.

the doubling is too much IMHO.

The benefit is people being signed up and then not being distracted or forgetting on the day or being otherwise occupied. 

PPV has early bird pricing, there is clearly a benefit, whether people agree with the level of pricing is slightly different. 

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The benefit is people being signed up and then not being distracted or forgetting on the day or being otherwise occupied. 

PPV has early bird pricing, there is clearly a benefit, whether people agree with the level of pricing is slightly different. 

As I say I am not against the early bird pricing but a doubling is ridiculous and will/is (as seen by posts on here) putting people off. 

Early bird pricing has its place.. we are about to launch a brand new product, but without pre sells we wouldnt have done it, we discounted heavily because of this.. this gave us the cash flow/confidence to go ahead, the discount for doing so was 30% which is large, 50 % is astronomical for anything, and they are putting this on anyway whether people pay or not! I just dont understand the pricing (though this is not new for the RFL).. 

£10 for me is too much when the product they are offering is "new" and people don't necessarily have the confidence in the product. I agree £5 is good so stick with that and add a little bit of on the day so there is a reward for buying early

I'd have to understand technically how streaming works... that is do you have to invest in the technology monies to ensure you have capacity to fulfill the number of streams or is it always a one off cost no matter how many. Plus if have to plan for a certain capacity is the cost a lot more expensive if I have to up it at the last moment to accommodate. 

Unless I know the answer to my question I can't really argue one way or another.

Can anyone enlighten me...

29 minutes ago, RP London said:

As I say I am not against the early bird pricing but a doubling is ridiculous and will/is (as seen by posts on here) putting people off. 

Early bird pricing has its place.. we are about to launch a brand new product, but without pre sells we wouldnt have done it, we discounted heavily because of this.. this gave us the cash flow/confidence to go ahead, the discount for doing so was 30% which is large, 50 % is astronomical for anything, and they are putting this on anyway whether people pay or not! I just dont understand the pricing (though this is not new for the RFL).. 

£10 for me is too much when the product they are offering is "new" and people don't necessarily have the confidence in the product. I agree £5 is good so stick with that and add a little bit of on the day so there is a reward for buying early

Interestingly, the Chris Hill testimonial pricing is £5 and £8 so they will have a decent live test to compare the results.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Interestingly, the Chris Hill testimonial pricing is £5 and £8 so they will have a decent live test to compare the results.

That is interesting and is what they should be doing, test test test... this is the perfect opportunity to get the right product offering going forward. 

That sounds a much better deal IMHO. even just the fact its not £10... £8 just feels more "ok" for sitting at home watching

Edit: just to add as i hadnt actually looked at the app properly as wasnt going to start watching until the league season kicked off but I thought everyone was just rounding up to £10 and that no company is daft enough to go to £10 ... it is well known that you dont use £10 but you use £9.99 as it just feels better... I am shocked that it really is £10... that goes against all general retailing rules!! The only time you would tend to do that is things like match day tickets where you think make it easy for cash and no one really wants the 1p change.. I am genuinely quite shocked (though i know i shouldnt be!)

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Lets see what happens shall we....! 

The 2013 WC was lauded for it's attendances in nearly all the venue's it was played at, many attendees on reduced face value admission, the ongoing purchases may or may not amend the stratergy you quote Mr Whippet, will the urge as previously employed revert to - is it better to have 50% of something than 100% of nothing considering each seat in every stadium has already been paid for by the RFL.

If they do it'll be yet another case of short term gain, long term pain.

I paid £50 last season to watch all Widnes games online (not live - delayed by a couple of days), and I believe there were a few hundred other subscribers for that. Obviously we didn't get many games in the end, and the club ended up putting up 1-2 games from previous seasons each week instead. Seemed like an extremely good deal to me at the time, as it costs me more than that to watch any live game up North.

Lots of sensible comments on this thread. I think £5 to watch a game is a very fair price, £10 is still pretty cheap in comparison to attending in person. I guess clubs will still struggle with revenue even at that level unless a lot more people are watching.

I think what the RFL are missing out on is actually pushing this to the wider population, and advertising this to all those outside of the RL World, across Youtube, and other social media channels as well as other TV channels...

People will happily pay £4.95 to watch a game professionally produced, and good quality (as the game should sell itself).and then be used as a good stepping point for people to go support their local team, as crowds return and the World Cup comes along...

When you charge £10 for a game then it becomes a bigger ask, for people, ok its still cheap, but you are also pricing out people who might just pop in for something to watch on a Sunday afternoon or a Friday night. 

22 hours ago, JonM said:

Lots of sensible comments on this thread. I think £5 to watch a game is a very fair price, £10 is still pretty cheap in comparison to attending in person. I guess clubs will still struggle with revenue even at that level unless a lot more people are watching.

21 hours ago, mozzauk said:

When you charge £10 for a game then it becomes a bigger ask, for people, ok its still cheap, but you are also pricing out people who might just pop in for something to watch on a Sunday afternoon or a Friday night.

Yes the 5 quid sounds about right, especially if you think that many people are on a budget, not to mention unemployed people and pensioners. 5 pound is a good cheap couple of hours entertainment and people may be tempted to invite a couple of friends or family around if it`s a local team.

The other thing I never hear mentioned is that despite the cost of the game people still have to fork out for the cost of having internet to their house. I don`t imagine that everyone can afford unlimited internet and watching a whole live game of League can really chew up some gigabytes, people on a limited plan have to consider this if they have a data budget for the month , week whatever.

1 minute ago, The Rocket said:

Yes the 5 quid sounds about right, especially if you think that many people are on a budget, not to mention unemployed people and pensioners. 5 pound is a good cheap couple of hours entertainment and people may be tempted to invite a couple of friends or family around if it`s a local team.

The other thing I never hear mentioned is that despite the cost of the game people still have to fork out for the cost of having internet to their house. I don`t imagine that everyone can afford unlimited internet and watching a whole live game of League can really chew up some gigabytes, people on a limited plan have to consider this if they have a data budget for the month , week whatever.

I don't think capped broadband is a thing anymore is it? 

They trade on speed rather than caps. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think capped broadband is a thing anymore is it? 

They trade on speed rather than caps. 

Yes obviously different where you are. Over here $60/mnth is about the minimum for unlimited internet which doesn`t sound much but for a pensioner or unemployed person on $250 per week or even someone on minimum wage or employed part-time that can be a lot.

I don`t know whether watching a game live requires a certain internet speed and how much that costs if extra speed is required. Point I`m making though is that many people are on budgets and have to watch their pennies.

An interesting aside that I read about recently was given the fragmentation of sport on to different streaming services now , whereas once everything was just on Foxtel or FTA, people are having to make decisions about which they subscribe to as many people have a `subscription` budget they like to stick to.

45 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yes obviously different where you are. Over here $60/mnth is about the minimum for unlimited internet which doesn`t sound much but for a pensioner or unemployed person on $250 per week or even someone on minimum wage or employed part-time that can be a lot.

I've read quite a few times that Australia has some of the most expensive internet pricing for consumers anywhere, and that it's one of the few first world countries where data caps are still a thing. I guess it makes sense for rural Australia, at least.

• 1 month later...

Some figures via the Full 80 minutes podcast.

There’s been a combined 223,000 viewers for the live games streamed on Our League so far in 2021. 

Of those 223k, there were 61,638 unique devices logged.

Our League has 188k members, with 151k downloads of the app.

The RFL is targeting 300k by the end of the year, with Our League being the official World Cup app.

Interestingly, there are Our League members in every postcode of the UK and 154 countries worldwide. Most members are concentrated along the M62, London and Birmingham. 

I paid £10 on the day to watch Featherstone Rovers v Batley in the Championship, more than happy with my purchase. People will buy at a tenner if they want to watch a match and don't know if they can or not until the match day. Some ppl on here don't buy Sky subs, don't buy matchday tickets, don't buy live streams, begs the question what do these dirt poor or tight as hell whingers actually buy from this sport. Can they even afford League Express? or do they think its way too pricey? I probably will pay £10 again this weekend.

15 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Some figures via the Full 80 minutes podcast.

There’s been a combined 223,000 viewers for the live games streamed on Our League so far in 2021. 

Of those 223k, there were 61,638 unique devices logged.

Our League has 188k members, with 151k downloads of the app.

The RFL is targeting 300k by the end of the year, with Our League being the official World Cup app.

Interestingly, there are Our League members in every postcode of the UK and 154 countries worldwide. Most members are concentrated along the M62, London and Birmingham. 

Encouraging headline figures, imagine the 223,000 is logged on viewings so with families, partners, friends etc the number of actual people watching will be significantly higher.

The breakdown for paid and unpaid games is important, a number will have watched for free due to being ST holders. Imagine that data will be commercially sensitive though.

It is very good news that they are making OurLeague the official WC app, promoted widely (especially via BBC if they can) it will drive up the membership and give the RFL a bigger database to target commercially for ticket sales etc from 2022 onwards.

Archived