England Mid-Season International

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a seriously-receding hairline in the middle. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Catchy name, not:

England will take on a Combined Nations All Stars team on Friday June 25, it has been confirmed.

In a change from the previous Exiles concept, the Combined Nations team will enable players from other countries, such as Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France and Jamaica to participate in the game, alongside their Antipodean colleagues.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/england-to-face-combined-nations-all-stars-team-in-summer/

What a terrible name, a terrible concept ... what’s wrong with a proper game like France in France who we know have offered to play! And we’d be able to call on NRL players for that.

This has that bunch of Right Fu**in Losers (RFL) written all over it.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

World XIII, Rest of the World, even Other Nationalities (which is the original name of the team this concept is based on) are all more marketable than the CNAS...

They could have even kept calling it the Exiles, they use to classify 'Pat Richards' as being 'Irish' in that Exiles team, and it would have been a better option than what they've settled with...

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

It's the International Global Invitational Earth President's XIII Select All Stars going up against the Domestically Based England Side in a match already being described as, "scheduled". 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

"Combined Nations All Stars" gives off the proper end of the pier, meat raffle, vibes that too many of the people who run our game seem to love.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Announcement coming tomorrow reportedly. Aaron Bower has put on Twitter that England will face the "Combined Nations All Stars" on 25 June. Will be the Exiles but can include players from other home nations too. 

If any of the ‘Scotland or Ireland’ players were from there they could have still called it the Exiles. Now we can have lads from Yorks and Lancs playing against England too. 

I would rather they stuck with the Exiles, what does this now say to Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Jamaica?

Your only chance of action is a couple of your guys featuring in this ‘All Stars’ team? That is not what they need!!? They need games as much as England do* and this is sheer neglect of that idea. 

*I know they’re welcome to organise their own games but I can guarantee we will again see them in a selection tug-of-war - do their best players get All Stars selection? Exiles would have been easier.

1 hour ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Rest of the World would do me

You could even give it a bit of gravitas and go with RFL President's XIII or somesuch and have Clare Balding lead her team of chosen foreigners out onto the field.

(Not saying that's a better idea, but it is, at least, a different one.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Strikes me that everything indicated it was the Exiles right up until last week. I am very suspicious that the sudden change to the awfully named CNAS is heavily influenced by one or more SL Chairmen (Pearson being the public one, but there will be others) objecting to their expensive imports playing in this game.

We always hear a fair bit about this `Barbarian` thing that the union have. Why can`t League have a concept like that and stick with it so it builds a bit of cred over the years.

It is a strange and seemingly unnecessary adoption of a new/different name.

And although it is a small thing, the RFL just love giving people a stick to beat them with, and around a concept that has never been universally popular, despite its advantages and the opportunities it could provide.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived