England Mid-Season International

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Had a message from a non-RL fan who is going to a couple of the World Cup games so has received the email; “Do Wales not have a men’s side?” 😆

Its a fair point. Surely Wales should be playing France or someone instead to prepare. Similarly with the other nations.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Nothing worse than moaners who moan about moaning...

Yes there is. One example: people who moan about anything and everything the RFL, SuperLeague do or don't do but should. There's a significant number on here and I will not cease from Mental Fight, nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem on this forum., 😀😀😀😀

15 hours ago, Damien said:

Catchy name, not:

England will take on a Combined Nations All Stars team on Friday June 25, it has been confirmed.

In a change from the previous Exiles concept, the Combined Nations team will enable players from other countries, such as Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France and Jamaica to participate in the game, alongside their Antipodean colleagues.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/england-to-face-combined-nations-all-stars-team-in-summer/

It's not April 1st is it .......🤔🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

There are many reasons to be positive. This should be a good game, with a tough challenge for the England team in a World Cup year. Tickets are on sale now (albeit limited). And we have a broadcaster! I expected this to be on OurLeague.

For those asking about the logo:

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/rugbyleague/

I’ll be trying my best to attend, well as it’s within a mile of my house it’d be rude not too 👍🏼

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its a fair point. Surely Wales should be playing France or someone instead to prepare. Similarly with the other nations.

I can see his point of view. Receiving the graphic and seeing Wales on there twice but not for the men’s game would probably make you ask. 

I’d like to see what you say about nations playing each other mid-year but that was unlikely given we don’t even have a dedicated weekend blocked off for international rugby. 

23 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Good to see him "hitting back".. if i were pearson i'd make sure all conversations are over the phone in future!

So Paul McShane is in then :kolobok_ph34r:

Pearson’s frustrations are valid, though I think he’s possibly gone about it slightly wrong or worded his argument poorly. The issue isn’t particularly England playing or who they’re playing, the issue is when. The scheduling of Super League fixtures around the time of the England game is poor and its at a crucial juncture in the season, with games coming thick and fast as fans hopefully return and ahead of a Challenge Cup final a couple of weeks later. That’s the real issue here. Both Super League and The RFL have backloaded their fixtures with fans in mind but have either poorly communicated or haven’t communicated this and so, we’ve got a periods of fixture congestion in and around the England game. 

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Pearson’s frustrations are valid, though I think he’s possibly gone about it slightly wrong or worded his argument poorly. The issue isn’t particularly England playing or who they’re playing, the issue is when. The scheduling of Super League fixtures around the time of the England game is poor and its at a crucial juncture in the season, with games coming thick and fast as fans hopefully return and ahead of a Challenge Cup final a couple of weeks later. That’s the real issue here. Both Super League and The RFL have backloaded their fixtures with fans in mind but have either poorly communicated or haven’t communicated this and so, we’ve got a periods of fixture congestion in and around the England game. 

Wasn't it the position from Super League (in other words, the clubs) that they knew the RFL was planning an England fixture around that time but they were cool with putting fixtures around it anyway as the clubs had agreed to "throw the kids in"? 

46 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It should be a stand-a-lone International weekend, with as many countries as possible playing a game, ideally every country that will feature in the World Cup. Who is responsible for Super League games taking place that weekend? Who decided Super League wouldn’t take a break for a week as is the case in the NRL?

This has been an international weekend, agreed by the International Board and by the owners of the clubs, for months.

21 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

arguably everyone is in the same boat and its a good chance to see what some of the fringe players can do.. look at australia around origin clubs either back the players up or they put in fringe players/youngsters and some of them need the chance to show how good they are as they are not pushing the incumbent out without that chance. 

I get the frustration but I think it is a mountain out of a molehill. 

23 hours ago, Scubby said:

I think World All Stars or World XIII would have covered it (and in a lots less characters)

well that may or may not be better but I'd bet a few bob that still get negative comment on the naming... not least trade descriptions involved on missing so many world stars from Aussie land...

Can't win no matter what... 

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

well that may or may not be better but I'd bet a few bob that still get negative comment on the naming... not least trade descriptions involved on missing so many world stars from Aussie land...

Other Nationalities would be the best as there is history and precedent..

not sure why they had to opt for what they did its a mouthful which is never a good start!

12 minutes ago, RP London said:

not sure why they had to opt for what they did its a mouthful which is never a good start!

I do find it odd that they pay homage to Other Nationalities in the press release and then call them Combined Nations 😄

Just now, Dave T said:

I do find it odd that they pay homage to Other Nationalities in the press release and then call them Combined Nations 😄

i saw that as well and thought it was a bit of a head against a brick wall moment 😄

14 minutes ago, RP London said:

yep maybe... but we'd still moan I'm sure, especially if we dislike the concept of some sort of mixed nationality team.

Other nationalities doesn't do it for me, using "combined" feels more team/together orientated.

On 17/03/2021 at 11:32, redjonn said:

Yep that’s right. But I’d have gone with something like ‘International All Stars’ to get around that.

Or better still just have played Wales. Yes it would be a drubbing but just suck it up and at least people would then get that we’d play the same nation across three matches and it would be a bona fide international.

Now that England have sorted their fixture out  Have France or Wales (or any others) sorted anything out?

If I put my Welsh hat on (not that I have one) I’d want my players to play for Wales before any combined nations - but they have to have the option first 

Archived