Leigh Academy update

32 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Proud to be part of Leighs first academy side way back in 1990. 

A good move if given the nod 👍

Why should any team be refused entry to an academy league system, it can be divisional whereas teams are either sanctioned a place geographically or financially, the only reason I can imagine for there being fewer licences granted than the number of applications put forward is to protect the monopoly that some teams enjoy. 

Its financed so only so much cash. Trevor is a well respected figurehead and Aaron is exceptionally well connected being a Director of a multi Billion pound global construction company, added to by some good RL and local community trust experience.

Good luck lads n lass

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why should any team be refused entry to an academy league system, it can be divisional whereas teams are either sanctioned a place geographically or financially, the only reason I can imagine for there being fewer licences granted than the number of applications put forward is to protect the monopoly that some teams enjoy. 

Yes, hence Widnes’ meagre funding being pulled by SL, even though they produce plenty of SL players for them. 

20 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Trouble is there are too many obstacles in the way of clubs setting up and running academies 

Possibly, but i would have thought there should be some obstacles, to ensure tgat young players get proper training.

50 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Trouble is there are too many obstacles in the way of clubs setting up and running academies 

Interesting point. (And interesting thread).

Is there not quite a lot of people who believe that the number of Academies should be limited to (1) ensure standards are high and (2) protect the community clubs who were unable to replace their players who were being hoovered up by academy sides purely to make up numbers, with little chance of ever progressing to the pro game?

I am not taking sides here - I just thought that was the case, but would be interested to know if there are other "obstacles" put in place by the governing body?

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Any application that has the funding & facilities in place should be given the green light.

10 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Is there not quite a lot of people who believe that the number of Academies should be limited to (1) ensure standards are high and (2) protect the community clubs who were unable to replace their players who were being hoovered up by academy sides purely to make up numbers, with little chance of ever progressing to the pro game?

I am not taking sides here - I just thought that was the case, but would be interested to know if there are other "obstacles" put in place by the governing body?

What I like about the snippets I have heard, is that a significant number of business's have supported the bid by creating Apprenticeship opportunities to run with the RL ones during these years.

Trevor heading it will ensure the local Amateur concerns are met

10 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

While i could understand that as an argument the RFL cannot then let some clubs have them and some clubs not.. the only way around that is to have regional academies run by the RFL and from which there is a "draft" at some point for the players coming out of it (I am not totally against this idea but it would need to be done properly, and there in lies the issue). 

Otherwise if it is clubs that have to provide it and the club can (and to the right level, which is fair to check) then they HAVE to be allowed to have one otherwise it is yet another aspect of an unfair playing field. 

Lets just for a moment consider Leigh's application to run an academy, they had one but the manner in which it was organised (by the League system, not by the club) meant there was to few games a season to make it viable and keep the interest of the players and so it was disbanded.

There is also the argument posed by some who say Leigh is geographically burdened by it's proximty being so close to Wigan, Saints and Wire all of which have taken Leigh lads into their academies and scholarships in recent years, just this year for example there are far more Leigh lads than Wigan lads that have been offered scholarships places at Wigan.

It seems that with the effort and quality of people who have been appointed to 'manage' both the application process and forward - if granted - how the Academy will be run that the submission to the selection panel will be given as much thought and deliverance as the SL application, the club will not leave any stone unturned in the intoduction and capabillities of the individual members of the Academy Management Board.

So the question comes down to can they entice lads to the club both those locally and those from further afield? As far as locally goes I consider if they can entice the very best of the local talent those who are still of an acceptable quality from the area will follow, this is a process I have witnessed over the years in the amatuer game, very rarely if there is more than one club in the town are the competing relevant age teams of equal abillity, the club who has the very best of the local talent attracts the best of the rest, therefore it should be the policy of the Leigh Academy Board to make it as attractive as possible for local talent to stay with the towns professional club as opposed to their near neighbours, a big ask but one I consider not unachievable.

55 minutes ago, RP London said:

While i could understand that as an argument the RFL cannot then let some clubs have them and some clubs not.. the only way around that is to have regional academies run by the RFL and from which there is a "draft" at some point for the players coming out of it (I am not totally against this idea but it would need to be done properly, and there in lies the issue). 

Otherwise if it is clubs that have to provide it and the club can (and to the right level, which is fair to check) then they HAVE to be allowed to have one otherwise it is yet another aspect of an unfair playing field. 

Yeah, that’s a woeful idea. The RFL is potless and it’s dragging the top clubs down to the meagre standards of others in an attempt at creating parity. 

23 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Yeah, that’s a woeful idea. The RFL is potless and it’s dragging the top clubs down to the meagre standards of others in an attempt at creating parity. 

The RFL could do it.. but it would need clubs to pay in to the scheme etc.. then it will the normal case of should big clubs pay in more, should it be a percentage of turnover (as your own academy would be) then if you are paying in more why is it an even draft (or even an uneven one waited, as per the USA, towards the lower teams).. and so and so forth.. typical bun fight.. 

it would need to be bought into as an altruistic thing and for the betterment of RL in general and we all know that isnt going to happen!

As long as the academy itself meets certain standards which should be around outside education provision (be that apprenticeships, A-levels/equivalents or degrees etc) as well as safeguarding and standards of coaching etc. then they should have no right to say no.. 

IF this is being run by the fact that there is a funding pot to be handed out and the pot is finite then there is a potential issue but its not insurmountable.

29 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Yes i do back any teams bid to have an academy, and i still stand by my earlier comments that having an academy is a condition of being in Super League.

No academy = no Super League place for me.

But that can be controlled by the selection panel, in your scenario then if Leigh are refused admission of an Academy team they should be kicked out of SL?

As I stated in my last post, Leigh had 6 player's from the town's community clubs who joined the Wigan Scholarship scheme as opposed to just 2 from Wigan community clubs in the last round of invitees, could this be something that could influence a decision that there could competition for those players from a 'new' academy, I don't know the answer, but it could be a consideration and not just dismissed.

46 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think that is a very one eyed view Hela, since 2015 and reintroduction of P&R it is very noticible how the Championship has improved year on year you seem very resentful of that having happened if as though it is rocking the boat of SL's monopoly.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But that can be controlled by the selection panel, in your scenario then if Leigh are refused admission of an Academy team they should be kicked out of SL?

As I stated in my last post, Leigh had 6 player's from the town's community clubs who joined the Wigan Scholarship scheme as opposed to just 2 from Wigan community clubs in the last round of invitees, could this be something that could influence a decision that there could competition for those players from a 'new' academy, I don't know the answer, but it could be a consideration and not just dismissed.

The most successful academies spend time,resources & money looking for young players from a variety of locations,Leigh if accepted will have to do the same,I hope your application is accepted.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think that is a very one eyed view Hela, since 2015 and reintroduction of P&R it is very noticible how the Championship has improved year on year you seem very resentful of that having happened if as though it is rocking the boat of SL's monopoly.

I have no clue what relevance that has with Academy Rugby League. 

The Championship catching up to the poor standards of Super League is fine. It should be welcomed but the standards in Super League remain pretty poor at the bottom end and attempts to drag those with high standards down to the level of, largely, poorly run clubs is to the detriment of the sport and the clubs with higher standards and does nothing positive for the sport. 

7 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I have no clue what relevance that has with Academy Rugby League. 

The Championship catching up to the poor standards of Super League is fine. It should be welcomed but the standards in Super League remain pretty poor at the bottom end and attempts to drag those with high standards down to the level of, largely, poorly run clubs is to the detriment of the sport and the clubs with higher standards and does nothing positive for the sport. 

Also can't be ignored how a huge increase in funding helped that too

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Also can't be ignored how a huge increase in funding helped that too

And yet some Championship clubs have developed on & off the pitch far more than some Superleague clubs have with far greater funding.

Archived