Halifax Away Challenge Cup

Keep The Faith

This Saturday 7:30pm we travel to the shay to play the newly named Halifax Panthers in the betfred challenge cup 1st round. 

Last 10 visits to the shay. 
2010- 
Fax 30-22 Batley

2011- Fax 25-26 Batley Fax 26-36 Batley 

2012- Fax 28-24 Batley  

2013 - Fax 29-24 Batley

2014 - Fax 8-10 Batley 

2015 - Fax 25-22 Batley 

2016 - Fax 12- 17 Batley

2017 - Fax 40-22 Batley 

2018 - Fax 50-12 Batley

2019 - Fax 20-18 Batley

last Challenge Cup fixture against Halifax  at Thrum Hall - 17/2/1993 50-20 Tries came from Mark Scott (2) Lee Bargate & Lee Hanlan goals Steve Walker & Simon Wilson 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im going to kick it off saying Fax by about 16. I see we have a SL ref as well which Im hoping will mean the 6 again rule will be used a lot more than it were in friendlies that I watched involving these two teams at the weekend. For us I thought we looked a little rusty against Oldham which is to be expected from every team and you could tell they were a game further in to their season. Overall it looked a decent run out for us.

For Batley I would imagine your coach will be very worried about how weak your defence looked, I really don't think Fev had to get out of 2nd gear and some of the one on one tackling was shocking. At times you did look pretty good with the ball and Fev's defence didn't look too hot at times either. For me it wil be Fev's squad depth that wins them the league rather than their first 17 being head and shoulders above other teams. Roll on Saturday.

11 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

This Saturday 7:30pm we travel to the shay to play the newly named Halifax Panthers in the betfred challenge cup 1st round. 

Last 10 visits to the shay. 
2010- 
Fax 30-22 Batley

2011- Fax 25-26 Batley Fax 26-36 Batley 

2012- Fax 28-24 Batley  

2013 - Fax 29-24 Batley

2014 - Fax 8-10 Batley 

2015 - Fax 25-22 Batley 

2016 - Fax 12- 17 Batley

2017 - Fax 40-22 Batley 

2018 - Fax 50-12 Batley

2019 - Fax 20-18 Batley

last Challenge Cup fixture against Halifax  at Thrum Hall - 17/2/1993 50-20 Tries came from Mark Scott (2) Lee Bargate & Lee Hanlan goals Steve Walker & Simon Wilson 

That's a surprisingly poor home record against Batley but cup games dont allus follow form and past results are just that, in the past. With the game being so early after such a long lay off it will still be a bit of a getting to know you type of game where owt could happen. Hopefully home advantage does sway it for Fax but the main thing is we're all getting back to seeing some rugby. I'll go Fax 28v14 Batley. 😀

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Im going to kick it off saying Fax by about 16. I see we have a SL ref as well which Im hoping will mean the 6 again rule will be used a lot more than it were in friendlies that I watched involving these two teams at the weekend. For us I thought we looked a little rusty against Oldham which is to be expected from every team and you could tell they were a game further in to their season. Overall it looked a decent run out for us.

For Batley I would imagine your coach will be very worried about how weak your defence looked, I really don't think Fev had to get out of 2nd gear and some of the one on one tackling was shocking. At times you did look pretty good with the ball and Fev's defence didn't look too hot at times either. For me it wil be Fev's squad depth that wins them the league rather than their first 17 being head and shoulders above other teams. Roll on Saturday.

Manning brown Gledhill & bowman could all return for the pack this weekend shall see us better in defence & if we keep the ball alive and play some stuff I expect a decent game 

7 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Manning brown Gledhill & bowman could all return for the pack this weekend shall see us better in defence & if we keep the ball alive and play some stuff I expect a decent game 

Quite a few of our squad might like playing against fax 

Ben white , Ben kaye , Anthony Bowman , Jodie Broughton , Dane Manning , Wayne Riettie , Tom Gilmore,   

Some might even have a point to prove

IMG_0583.JPG

30 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Quite a few of our squad might like playing against fax 

Ben white , Ben kaye , Anthony Bowman , Jodie Broughton , Dane Manning , Wayne Riettie , Tom Gilmore,   

Some might even have a point to prove

For a little bit of banter...... Ben White was awful for us and looked way out of his depth. Ben Kaye was brilliant but I thought we kept him 1 maybe 2 season too long. Anthony Bowman huge talent and such a shame that he never even scratched the surface of it. Him and his brother both had the talent but prefered the nightlife, it happens. Jodie Broughton Ive said on here before what I thought about him, our wingers didn't get many chances but he knows where the line is. His opposition wingers did as well. Dane Manning beast, Id have him straight back, what a player for us and defo up there with the best back rowers I have seen in the championship. Wayne Rettie would try and run through a wall for you, I liked him at Fax never get less than 100% from him. Tom Gilmore never got much chance, I don't rate him but better judges than me thought him good enough for the England knights squad.

We usually have a few that have played for Batley ourselves but think its just Paul Brierley off the top of my head? I were really impressed with him last season and were not surprised when he got a shot at SL so Toronto's demise is our gain.

Isn't it great to have some rugby to talk about again.😀

10 hours ago, Ainley Top said:

That's a surprisingly poor home record against Batley but cup games dont allus follow form and past results are just that, in the past. With the game being so early after such a long lay off it will still be a bit of a getting to know you type of game where owt could happen. Hopefully home advantage does sway it for Fax but the main thing is we're all getting back to seeing some rugby. I'll go Fax 28v14 Batley. 😀

Perhaps Halifax aren't as good as you think they are? 🤐

There have been some cracking matches between Halifax and Batley over the last ten years, and I'd have loved to have been able to attend this weekend.

Maybe next year...

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

For a little bit of banter...... Ben White was awful for us and looked way out of his depth. Ben Kaye was brilliant but I thought we kept him 1 maybe 2 season too long. Anthony Bowman huge talent and such a shame that he never even scratched the surface of it. Him and his brother both had the talent but prefered the nightlife, it happens. Jodie Broughton Ive said on here before what I thought about him, our wingers didn't get many chances but he knows where the line is. His opposition wingers did as well. Dane Manning beast, Id have him straight back, what a player for us and defo up there with the best back rowers I have seen in the championship. Wayne Rettie would try and run through a wall for you, I liked him at Fax never get less than 100% from him. Tom Gilmore never got much chance, I don't rate him but better judges than me thought him good enough for the England knights squad.

We usually have a few that have played for Batley ourselves but think its just Paul Brierley off the top of my head? I were really impressed with him last season and were not surprised when he got a shot at SL so Toronto's demise is our gain.

Isn't it great to have some rugby to talk about again.😀

Haven't you got zak McComb as well or doesn't he count  

IMG_0583.JPG

1 hour ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

Perhaps Halifax aren't as good as you think they are? 🤐

There have been some cracking matches between Halifax and Batley over the last ten years, and I'd have loved to have been able to attend this weekend.

Maybe next year...

Obviously not ❗😀

13 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

Haven't you got zak McComb as well or doesn't he count  

That is why I said off the top of my head. 😀

I really don't know enough about him to judge. I'd imagine he will be classed as a squad player rather than a starter but we will know more on Saturday if Worthington and JWH are both available.

On 17/03/2021 at 10:01, The Blues Ox said:

I must admit I was very surprised when I saw the score in the Oldham - Fax game, Oldham looked like a mid-table League One team against us and even after taking most of our starters off by half time we would have scored 70 granted some decent goal kicking. Oldham must have improved massively for that first run out.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I must admit I was very surprised when I saw the score in the Oldham - Fax game, Oldham looked like a mid-table League One team against us and even after taking most of our starters off by half time we would have scored 70 granted some decent goal kicking. Oldham must have improved massively for that first run out.

Probably a combonation of things I would say. I think we are some way off Fev this season and Oldham would have been better for the run out. Truth be told I thought we dominated for most of the game and it looked like Grix wanted to try out certain squad players for longer minutes, like I think Moore only played 25 minutes and hes obviously a big player for us. Our starting 17 is good enough for the top 3 in my opinion but we go past that and we simply don't have the depth. It really makes no difference what everyone thinks but Im happy for people to have us finishing outside the top 6 as I think our squad is still better than 3 of the teams that are talked about for the playoffs.

Good choice of Browny and Leak, only difficulty comes if both are off the field at the same time or if neither are selected in the starting 13.

Well that's Brown out for the moment, who could be a stand in Vice Vice captain.

Got my early bird ticket for the match.

21 man squad taken from the RFL site 

BATLEY BULLDOGS
Jack Blagbrough
Jodie Broughton
Kieran Buchanan
Jonny Campbell
Toby Everett
Nyle Flynn
Tom Gilmore
Adam Gledhill
Elliot HALL
Luke Hooley
Aiden Ineson
Ben Kaye
Alister Leak
Tom Lillycrop
Jack Logan
Dale Morton
George Senior
Josh Tonks
Lucas Walshaw
Michael Ward
Ben White

On 19/03/2021 at 09:44, The Blues Ox said:

Probably a combonation of things I would say. I think we are some way off Fev this season and Oldham would have been better for the run out. Truth be told I thought we dominated for most of the game and it looked like Grix wanted to try out certain squad players for longer minutes, like I think Moore only played 25 minutes and hes obviously a big player for us. Our starting 17 is good enough for the top 3 in my opinion but we go past that and we simply don't have the depth. It really makes no difference what everyone thinks but Im happy for people to have us finishing outside the top 6 as I think our squad is still better than 3 of the teams that are talked about for the playoffs.

Although I think the top 3 is very optimistic, as I cannot see much beyond Featherstone, Toulouse, London and York for the top 4.

I certainly think Halifax, Sheffield, Newcastle, Dewsbury, Batley, Bradford and Widnes will all fancy themselves as in with a shout for 5th spot if all goes well.

However, I think it will be a bit of a lottery and will come down to the fixtures, (remember we are not playing everyone twice), and which club can keep the starting 17 fit for more games than the others. One of those clubs is going to end up very disappointed and finish in 11th place or lower. 

We suffer with the same things as Halifax and it was the most noticeable thing I took away from the friendlies, is how little strength in depth we have outside of the starting 17, particularly in the forwards.

We were dominated in the forwards in both games, something you rarely see with us. However, I also temper that with having Manning and Brown out for the Dewsbury game and both of them, as well as Bowman and Gledhill out for the Fev game. All 4 of them are likely to be in the starting pack if available I'd have thought.

Like us and Halifax. Looking at the squads for the clubs fighting for 5th, none of them seem to have much outside the starting 17 either. If any of them loses a key man, like a halfback or hooker for any length of time, they will really struggle to get results. Especially if they are playing one of the clubs around them.  

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

However, I think it will be a bit of a lottery and will come down to the fixtures, (remember we are not playing everyone twice), and which club can keep the starting 17 fit for more games than the others. One of those clubs is going to end up very disappointed and finish in 11th place or lower. 

Thats one of the reasons I think we could sneak in the top 3 but hopefully the top 6. We have fallen pretty well with the missing fixtures in that we don't have to go to either York or London, both games I would have us down for a loss. Its a mad situation but it is what it is and its just good to get some rugby back on.

On 19/03/2021 at 09:44, The Blues Ox said:

Our starting 17 is good enough for the top 3 in my opinion but we go past that and we simply don't have the depth. It really makes no difference what everyone thinks but Im happy for people to have us finishing outside the top 6 as I think our squad is still better than 3 of the teams that are talked about for the playoffs.

4th place for Fax is definitely possible I'd say, but I think you'd need one of Toulouse, York and Fev to underperform to have a shot at top 3. I thought York looked good last night, and their new half back O'Hagan looks a definite upgrade. I know they were poor in the truncated season last year but they have brought a lot more quality in this year and still have Cuthbertson to come in, they look by far the likeliest team to challenge Toulouse and Fev for top 2 in my view.

Archived