Halifax Away Challenge Cup

Keep The Faith

44 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

4th place for Fax is definitely possible I'd say, but I think you'd need one of Toulouse, York and Fev to underperform to have a shot at top 3. I thought York looked good last night, and their new half back O'Hagan looks a definite upgrade. I know they were poor in the truncated season last year but they have brought a lot more quality in this year and still have Cuthbertson to come in, they look by far the likeliest team to challenge Toulouse and Fev for top 2 in my view.

That is the other part of my master plan......I'm not sure if Toulouse will make it through the season. I think York have the biggest potential to bomb this season, lots of experience from SL but how much gas left in those tanks especially after a long lay off. I expect them to start fast but don't think we will really see how they are holding up till a number of games have been played. I probably should bracket Bradford in with York as potential to have a stinker. I might be missing something but I don't see them as the top 6 side that everyone seems to be tipping them to be.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

That is the other part of my master plan......I'm not sure if Toulouse will make it through the season. I think York have the biggest potential to bomb this season, lots of experience from SL but how much gas left in those tanks especially after a long lay off. I expect them to start fast but don't think we will really see how they are holding up till a number of games have been played. I probably should bracket Bradford in with York as potential to have a stinker. I might be missing something but I don't see them as the top 6 side that everyone seems to be tipping them to be.

For me Widnes and maybe London are the two teams with the most potential to bomb out of the "forecast" top 7. Kear usually makes sure his teams are competitive and Bradford do have two or three promising youngsters coming through.

Widnes have virtually nothing beyond their starting 17, their three quarters aren't all that, three of their middles are ageing and their only recognised hooker Logan Tomkins appears to be out injured for an unspecified amount of time.

London have recruited some decent players but again have no depth although they do have a habit of bringing youngsters through very well. Danny Ward has done a great job with them but gradually the quality has been stripped away from their SL team. Much will depend on Sammut but he already appears set to miss today's opener.

Their biggest trouble is that they seem to be abysmally run off the field and only manage to antagonise their supporters, they haven't got a big fanbase anyway but a lot of contributors on their forum seem at the end of their tether. The sudden u-turn on Trailfinders is another embarrassing fiasco for them after they seemed adamant they had moved on. Doesn't mean they won't be competitive on the field but the club doesn't seem to be going in a good direction.

There is the potential for a Dewsbury or a Batley to knock on the door of the top 6, wouldn't judge Batley too harshly on last week v Fev as they had three or four of their starting forwards missing (Brown, Manning etc).

Interesting thoughts re Toulouse. With Covid getting worse in france who knows how their season will play out. I see Ben Evans is the latest to leave the club citing homesickness this morning, that's two props they've lost in the last couple of weeks.

Well, didn't see that coming in all honesty, to keep Fax to one score on their patch must have meant a lot of tackling. Well done all round and my sincere apologies to everyone. Will be on Market Place tomorrow for everybody to come and slap me!!

2 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Well it's going to be a relegation battle for us , whilst fax make top 3 , be glad when we get manning brown and bowman back

I thought we might struggle in the forwards especially after last week but delighted to say I was wrong. Really committed and defensively great. 

We looked organised at half back and looked as if we knew what we were doing at the end of each set. That invisible guy, what's his name...... Broughton took his try well too!

Just listened to the game on Radio Leeds. Great win for the Dogs but those Halifax forwards seemed to have it over the Dogs set. They  put Halifax in some good positions o n the Dogs line but they could not capitalize. Really made my day.

Solid performance defensively very good and Fax were lucky not to be nilled. We look well balanced across the park and Gilmore, Leak & Kate ran the show really well. Going be tough to pick three standouts from that 17

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

On 19/03/2021 at 09:44, The Blues Ox said:

Our starting 17 is good enough for the top 3 in my opinion.

Hmm after todays performance I wouldn't have you in the 10...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

9 minutes ago, frank said:

Just listened to the game on Radio Leeds. Great win for the Dogs but those Halifax forwards seemed to have it over the Dogs set. They  put Halifax in some good positions o n the Dogs line but they could not capitalize. Really made my day.

No, can't agree. we really competed. Compared to last week, we looked like a different set of forwards, especially defensively!

1 minute ago, distantdog said:

No, can't agree. we really competed. Compared to last week, we looked like a different set of forwards, especially defensively!

Agreed, I thought Springer would tear us apart, a bit like Ferguson did for Featherstone. The defense was awesome tonight, a surprising but very pleasing difference to the friendlies.

Archived