Radio Cumbria - Commentaries now online only

Not sure this is a huge deal in the scheme of things but could have an impact locally. BBC Cumbria is moving all its RL commentaries online.

Bild

(Seen via the Rugby League on TV twitter account)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I assume BBC Cumbria used to commentate on one of the three pro teams’ games on a Sunday afternoon? If so what will they have instead? I think it is quite a big deal really, a lot of people will be far less likely to tune in if they have to do it online - the reasoning (to offer a choice of match day commentaries) is garbage, they could have one on the radio and two online if they wanted to. 

On the face of it, it ought to not make a big deal, except it does look a downgrade.    But how good is the coverage compared to radio.

On balance it seems a downgrade and considers to as being inferior product.

25 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

I wonder if they've had to spend more money on football now Barrow are in the Football League.

It can’t cost much to commentate on a Barrow game. Anyway, they might be back in the Conference next season. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It can’t cost much to commentate on a Barrow game. Anyway, they might be back in the Conference next season. 

More for the rights than sending whoever to games. I'm guessing the Football League might charge more than the Conference, but have no clue!

Whatever the reason, once something is done, I find it hard to see it being undone.

What they used to do was chose one of the games being played and use that as their featured game. However they also had commentators at the other games and updates were given through the afternoon together with interviews  from coaches etc. They have had online commentaries for the last couple of years using the same commentators so hopefully those unable to attend a game will still get a reasonable service. I was hoping that it meant you had a choice of which Cumbrian clubs game you had a choice of listening to, which would be an improvement on previous years, but maybe not. It’s certainly a shame they’ve stopped it on the radio as it has been a feature since the 80’s I would guess on a Sunday afternoon.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I think Barrow are safe now Eddie, they’ve won their last two game’s with an excellent win at Cheltenham last night. 

39 minutes ago, Griff said:

On line is probably a plus, actually.  You can get the commentary worldwide, as opposed to a small area served by the wireless.

Only in the UK when it’s a sport commentary I think. But yes good for the rest of this country. 

I'm sorry fella's, I don't know how the technology works but perhaps they are motivated to move it online, so they can better gauge the numbers ''tuning in''?

Is it possible to measure the numbers listening in, to a radio station?

8 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

but perhaps they are motivated to move it online, so they can better gauge the numbers ''tuning in''?

I think their motivations are guided by what they feel is expendable more than anything else.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

I was listening online anyway as even living here the reception was often rubbish 

Isn't that because the rugby was on an AM channel and the 3 hours of easy listening took the favourable FM channel? Online better than AM imo

46 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Isn't that because the rugby was on an AM channel and the 3 hours of easy listening took the favourable FM channel? Online better than AM imo

But they were already online so doesn't this just represent a cut to the radio bit, even if it was medium wave?

58 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

I believe one of Cumbria's AM transmitters in Whitehaven was shut last year, so that might be why it's moving online only. 

Archived